FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Picked up new heat exchanger today

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Holty
sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread whippled496 but do you know if this h/e will fit down between the frame rails where the joe gibbs brackets relocate the stock radix h/e? thanks !
No i dont, but if you got a pic of where it goes, i will be glad to see if it would fit. I have the 2500HD, so I am not sure how much difference there is in the frame up front.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Nice temps. Try running it with the intake tubing removed from the throttle to see if that is limiting your boost.
Is that something that you aren't interested in trying, or have you already?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Is that something that you aren't interested in trying, or have you already?
No, I will probably give it a shot this weekend. I only drive it on the weekends, its not my DD. I probably wont run it open though, i will rig up a K&N on a short tube or something. Its a good idea, i had not thought of it. Seems like it should be getting enough flow to make 7lbs, because I am pretty sure it had made it before i put the intercooler on, but i was only going by my gauge at that time, now i am going of the kPa (MAP) reading in EFILive.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same h/e i added some e fans to help with the cooling

Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Notorious BIG

chase, how did you mount that h/e? did you use the joe gibbs brackets that people like me use to mount my stock radix h/e down there? you said that is the EXACT same one whippled496 has?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

yea, looks like the exact same one. He has down below and I have mine up in the way of fresh air. Should be about the same cooling though because he has the e-fans on to his.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to paint it black let me know, I have a can of the Eastwood high-temp paint laying around I could send to you. Don't know if I would want people noticing the H/E on my vehicle, might make it more attractive to unsavory types...
Old 04-11-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

i made some brackets out of some sheet metal i had laying around , it was very easy just cut some small rectangles. and drilled some holes. thye have some rubber mounts so they can move around a bit. i didnt put the h/e upstair because i have the big **** tru cool tranny cooler. besides they get just as much if not more air being the air from under the truck will hit them. the fit is very very tight though.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TBSS
If you want to paint it black let me know, I have a can of the Eastwood high-temp paint laying around I could send to you. Don't know if I would want people noticing the H/E on my vehicle, might make it more attractive to unsavory types...

You think painting it black would effect its cooling ability any? Seeing as how black holds heat more than a reflective surface does?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the paint to do the exact same thing you would be doing (for the exact same H/E, BTW) and Eastwood said there would be zero affect on cooling ability. They make products for all kinds of high-heat applications, so I would trust them. The whole black/shiny thing has more to do with stuff that is exposed to the sun, I would think.

Quick Reply: Picked up new heat exchanger today