FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Please help finding vacuum leak!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help finding vacuum leak!

Well Ive been tryin and I cannot find this leak that has been plaguing me. The short fuel trims are indicating that I have a leak somewhere so the hunt begins. Its the stock intake mani and throttle body. I have capped/plugged the port on the driver side for the PCV system and the port on the TB that goes to the passenger side valve cover. I tied both valve covers together and ran them together into a catch can and vented the can to atmosphere.

Another thing is the IAT sensor that I relocated to the EGR hole in the intake mani with a EGR block off plate. I have put sealant around the IAT sensor but nothin seems to change. I have tried to spray ether around the heads and intake gasket but it doesnt seem to change any, I havnt gotten it to rev up at all. What else sees vacuum? FPR hose? I am just looking for ideas on what to check next.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what did you put on? is this on the turbo truck? check anywhere that involves the air flow/intake. you never pulled the intake off or did you? if so did you tq it down, or just snug it up? did you check the o-rings? how about the map sensor on top of the intake, did you break the clip that holds it down? did you break a line at the evap? its really hard to pin point when i dont know exactly what you did/changed out before the problem began.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
what did you put on? is this on the turbo truck? check anywhere that involves the air flow/intake. you never pulled the intake off or did you? if so did you tq it down, or just snug it up? did you check the o-rings? how about the map sensor on top of the intake, did you break the clip that holds it down? did you break a line at the evap? its really hard to pin point when i dont know exactly what you did/changed out before the problem began.
Yes this is on the turbo truck. I did have the intake off to install the engine so yes it has been off. The intake gaskets I used were new. I had forgotten about the map sensor but I will check that as well, I put a new 2 bar sensor in. The taps are not broken, in fact that is why I am using the current mani seeing the one that came with the engine had broken tabs. As far as torquing it down, how many inch/ft lbs is it supposed to be at? Evap is another good point that Ill have to check out too.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also forgot to mention that we took off the TB and cleaned it this past weekend, also cleaned the IAC as well. It seems to help but not all the way. Someone had informed me about a smoke that you can hook up/pump into the EVAP? I may just start over, take off the intake and re-install it that way I can check off things that it could be. I installed this about 3-4 months ago so thing tend to slip my mind
Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
I also forgot to mention that we took off the TB and cleaned it this past weekend, also cleaned the IAC as well. It seems to help but not all the way. Someone had informed me about a smoke that you can hook up/pump into the EVAP? I may just start over, take off the intake and re-install it that way I can check off things that it could be. I installed this about 3-4 months ago so thing tend to slip my mind
Some of your exhaust shops have smoke machines to check for leaks. Have you check the hose going from back of the intake to the brake booster for any small holes or connections?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADAZZSS
Some of your exhaust shops have smoke machines to check for leaks. Have you check the hose going from back of the intake to the brake booster for any small holes or connections?
No I haven't, good idea though. Thats why I wanted to ask to get some more ideas!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Check you're wastegate just to make sure it's working properly. I had a vacuum leak last week that I couldn't figure out; I checked over all the hoses and still no luck. Took the wastegate off and found that the seal was broke causing air to come out of the top port creating a vacuum leak. My truck also didn't want to build up boost as fast as usual, but it was barely enough to notice. Just a suggestion..
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

hey did you get ride of your maf and went to a 2 bar or what did you do.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble
Check you're wastegate just to make sure it's working properly. I had a vacuum leak last week that I couldn't figure out; I checked over all the hoses and still no luck. Took the wastegate off and found that the seal was broke causing air to come out of the top port creating a vacuum leak. My truck also didn't want to build up boost as fast as usual, but it was barely enough to notice. Just a suggestion..
Ill definatly check that out too. I wont have any daylight for the next couple of days but these are all great suggestions.

Originally Posted by gmc6.0
hey did you get ride of your maf and went to a 2 bar or what did you do.
Yes, I am 2 bar SD tuned.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

okay sorry for getting off topic but im trying to see if its worth going sd how is your setup did you have to cut wires? can you send me pics?

Quick Reply: Please help finding vacuum leak!