FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Please Help - New Magnacharger Sucking a lot of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help - New Magnacharger Sucking a lot of Oil

Hello All, I need some help with a recent Magnacharger install (mp112) on a 5.3 stock suburban (running 3.20 pulley). Driving under boost creates an oil burning smell, and I am using a lot of oil (1/2 quart per 150 miles under heavy boost). I live in the mountains of CO, so boost is used frequently often for hills 10 or 12 miles in length. Using Mobil 1 5-w-30.

I believe that the oil is being sucked through the PCV valve tubes into the intake on the blower due to excessive vacume. Because of how much oil I am sucking, a catch can is NOT an acceptable fix. I don't want to have to empty a can 1-2 times per tank of gas on a daily driver. Because my vehicle did not appear to have stock pcv VALVES (just tubes sticking out of the valve covers - not your typical gromet and valve configuration), I added in line valves this evening. I reversed the normal flow since that seemed to add more resistance to the vacume. A trip over the continental devide this evening showed me that I have far from fixed the issue (burned about 1/2 quart in 90 miles). I really DO NOT think this is a blow by issue, but I will listen to all of your ideas. I really believe this is being caused by excessive vacume in the intake.

How bad/ damaging to severely limit flow on PCV lines to severely constricting? Just trying to think out loud. Any help/ ideas you can offer are appreciated. Thank you for the help.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think you have some serious problems. if i were you i'd park that thing until you figure out what's wrong with it
Old 01-23-2010, 04:50 AM
TECH Resident

Disconnect the PCV, cap all the vacuum inlets and get a Metco breather: http://www.metcomotorsports.com/products.asp?cat=97
Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Until you find the problem you can vent the valve covers to the atmosphere and plug your PCV vacuum source. You can buy an oil filler cap with a small air filter attached to the top of it and same goes for your PCV location. This should only be done as a temp fix until you can find the source of the problem. I switched over to the LS6 valley cover for a PCV relocation when I did my 112 install and this works well. I only had minimal oil consumption to begin with and this has since eliminated any oil consumption. I used the Metco breather for a short while.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I had the same problem even when I was NA. I just put a fuel fitting inline in the vacuum line coming from the valve cover, and it fixed it completely. I don't know why there only seems to be a few trucks with this problem, but mine was bad. A quart of oil every tank of gas. Would smoke like crazy every time you start the truck. Then I put the TVS on, and had a new vacuum hose with the breather and it was doing the same thing. Put the fitting back in and again fixed completely. I am also going to add, when I swapped heads with the blower, the cylinders were perfect and could still slightly see the crosshatching in every cylinder, so there obviously is no engine issues.
For you, just get some way to restrict the vacuum in the hose and im willing to bet its fixed. I have put over 20k on this way with no issues at all.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:58 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have something hooked up wrong.

Open the install manual and go though the vacuum hose routing again.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

any update on this?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
You have something hooked up wrong.

Open the install manual and go though the vacuum hose routing again.
Checked and double checked, tough to screw that up. Its just the fact that there is no valve in the vacuum line and goes straight into the valve cover. Sucks alot of fing air. Before i did this, i could feel a very strong vacuum when I pulled the oil fill cap off, and none of my friends trucks feel this way. I had this problem when I was blower-less also. The whole pcv system on my motor seems like a joke to me, the way the stock hose fits in the valve cover just looks stupid, it fits loose in there like you just stuff a hose in the hole. Maybe the motor I got is missing something for that? Anyways, the way I have it works perfect for me. Still pulls the vapors out, but not a super sucker that sucks the oil right out of the head. Ran it this way for over 20k miles both naturally aspirated and now with the blower.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:43 PM
12 Second Truck Club

mine was getting some blow by. I just ran a hose from each valve cover and to a catch can. I would just ditch the PCV sysem all together.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I don't really have any blowby, I have disconnected the pcv before and had nothing coming out of the oil fill cap, the way I have it now works perfect, I don't use a drop of oil in a 5k oil change, and the pcv still functions just fine. On the same note, my motor is pretty fresh, and I'm not running a ton of boost either. Some people have a need for a catch can, and thats probably the only thing that will work for their scenario. What I did works perfect for mine. There maybe is a difference between the 04 5.3 pcv system and an 06 6.0 system and my valve covers are missing something that would prevent my vacuum line from sucking oil droplets into the intake, but I don't know what.