FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Power Nation - Truck Tech Project White Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Nation - Truck Tech Project White Lightning

I usually watch all the episodes of Power Nation(formerly Powerblock TV) even though some things are pretty cheesy, but they do a decent job of anything auto with a good amount of DIY. Granted there is usually a lot of the details left out and their welding technical info is lacking, but I'm biased being a welder myself.

Anyways, Truck Tech has just finished up Night Train(LB7/Alison swap) and starred project "White Lightning" which is a 2010 2wd ECSB with a 5.3 with 150k on it.

1st mod was a DOD delete and stage 2 VVT cam and LS7 lifters.

I noticed they said you need a "special" harmonic balancer puller. I haven't heard that before, but would be good to know since I will be doing a future cam swap also on a older 5.3.

They mentioned future mod was adding forced induction being boost, but didn't mention what form of boost.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, LT here. Glad you liked today's episode.

You can pull the LS dampeners with a conventional 3 jaw puller around the inside of the hub, it's just much easier with one made for a LS. There are three small tabs around the inside of the crank hub. Btw.. It's actually called project white noize.

Watch next week to see the suspension get lowered. The truck will be getting a turbo later on in the season, after we upgrade many other parts of the truck.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gravedigger472
Hi, LT here. Glad you liked today's episode.

You can pull the LS dampeners with a conventional 3 jaw puller around the inside of the hub, it's just much easier with one made for a LS. There are three small tabs around the inside of the crank hub. Btw.. It's actually called project white noize.

Watch next week to see the suspension get lowered. The truck will be getting a turbo later on in the season, after we upgrade many other parts of the truck.
Good to know, since I'll be using a standard puller.

I figured I got the project name wrong :-). You make it sound like you are a part of the show. If you are I see a similar truck to "White Noise" in your signature, is this your truck? I don't remember the techs names in this season.

I'm excited to see the Turbo Build. Is this a custome build or a kit?
Old 01-31-2016, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I'm Lawrence one of the co hosts of the show along with Jeremy. I also am excited about the turbo install. It will be a kit, but I can't disclose Whose it is just yet. Yeah, it is my truck.

If you are interested I have an idle video of the cam in here.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...inside-541158/
Old 01-31-2016, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Glad to hear its your truck and it will be a fun ride. Sounds good. I just got my cam and valvetrain parts in. My cam will probably be a little choppier with a 214/218 .559/.562 111 LSA

What's the idle set at? Depending how choppy mine is, might determine how high to set the idle.

The build should be fun.

Last edited by YAMAHAGUY; 01-31-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. Yeah with the tighter LSA it should definitely lope a little more. I think in the video it was idling around 750rpm.

What year truck is it going in? Be sure to post up a thread when you do the install.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

I started a thread yesterday. Looking to do a 5.3 ECSB 01 or 02 so I don't have to mess with return fuel line when I add a turbo kit. I don't have a truck yet, Gotta sell my 2013 Tacoma first. I don't mind converting the returnless system to a return style, I just want to change the GM design and keep it as close to factory as possible since it will be my DD. looking to stay around 500 WHP. Some have said having the 03+ returnless system keeping around that HP range with low side of boost I might be able to get away with adding a little bigger injectors and pump as long as it's not too big.

Last edited by YAMAHAGUY; 01-31-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

You can get a returnless system to support 500.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
You can get a returnless system to support 500.
500 at the crank or the wheels? What max size pump do you think a returnless system could handle?
Old 01-31-2016, 05:54 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedigger472
Thanks. Yeah with the tighter LSA it should definitely lope a little more. I think in the video it was idling around 750rpm.

What year truck is it going in? Be sure to post up a thread when you do the install.
What happened to the other dude who was there for years?

Quick Reply: Power Nation - Truck Tech Project White Lightning