FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Powerdyne boost problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Powerdyne boost problems

I've upgraded the internals an am running the 2.73 pulley which is good for 9-10 psi. I have an intercooler but today I removed and plumbed it direct from the supercharger into the intake. I did this because I barely get 5 psi and was wondering if the intercooler was restricting. I did this in the snow tonight spinning the wheels so there was minimal drag. As far as I know I don't have an air leak as I did and replaced the intake gaskets and pressurized the system and it held at about 15 psi for about 30 secs until I bleed it out. I don't think the belts slipping as at at the top rpm that's where I see the 5 psi. I'm still working on the tune but don't see how that would have anything to do with boost as I'm hitting 6000 rpms.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How big is the IC, inlet and outlet?? If it is 6 rib, I bet the pulley is slipping.. That is a extremely small pulley. I was having trouble with belt slip on a 3.5 pulley before I reconfig'd the set up.. I doubt it is the IC unless the In-Ot's are 2''
Old 12-22-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
How big is the IC, inlet and outlet?? If it is 6 rib, I bet the pulley is slipping.. That is a extremely small pulley. I was having trouble with belt slip on a 3.5 pulley before I reconfig'd the set up.. I doubt it is the IC unless the In-Ot's are 2''
The ic is 2.5 in/ out i'll have to measure tomorrow about the size but it's about
20"L x 12"H x 2"D. Keep in mind i'm not running the intercooler right now. How tight should the belt be? I loosened it last month as i thought it was squeeling, but it could have been the cold. I replaced the bearings because the small outer one failed. I assumed it was because I had it too tight? Yeah 6 rib. How did you reconfigure your setup?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Baltimore Whore

With the piping being that big, I would feel sage to say it isn't the IC.. Your boost numbers are the same with out it correct?? I moved my idler around for my blower. Procharger using 2 extra idler pulleys. I moved them in place of the spacer, the spacers in place of them to give me about 90% belt wrap around the pulley vs the 50 that it had.. I have my belt TIGHT.. It is the smallest one I could get on there.. OH WAIT you have 317 heads on your 5.3??? There is most of the problem, I bet
Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
With the piping being that big, I would feel sage to say it isn't the IC.. Your boost numbers are the same with out it correct?? I moved my idler around for my blower. Procharger using 2 extra idler pulleys. I moved them in place of the spacer, the spacers in place of them to give me about 90% belt wrap around the pulley vs the 50 that it had.. I have my belt TIGHT.. It is the smallest one I could get on there.. OH WAIT you have 317 heads on your 5.3??? There is most of the problem, I bet
The ic piping is 3" with a 3-2.5 reducer right at the ic. The boost is the same. I'm not sure if I can have a double pulley, it would have to be a custom bracket. I'll post a pic later. I could crank on the pulley and go for another run and see. I'm just worried about the side pressure failing the bearing as it cost me a bit of damage last time. What's wrong with the 317's? I thought they were better for boost as it lowers the cr, correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Baltimore Whore

Yah they are better in most cases if your running a HUGE amount of boost. 10 psi is far from that.. Your stock heads would have worked fine for what your doing.. I think that is where your boost is going, due to the fact the chambers are larger, ports,inturn taking more psi to fill them up..

5.3 heads 853
Combustion chamber Volume:66.67cc
Intake port Volume:200cc
Exhaust Port Volume:70cc
Intake valve Diameter:2.00-inches
Exhaust valve Diameter:1.55-inches

6.0 heads 317

Combustion chamber Volume:71.06cc
Intake port Volume:210cc
Exhaust Port Volume:75cc
Intake valve Diameter:2.00-inches
Exhaust valve Diameter:1.55-inches
Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shhh shitty deal if that's the case, all that work for the wrong results. But now that I think, when the dude shipped the heads they were side bu side and thus banged around. I had them milled, but am unsure how much. If that's the case then they are closer to the stickers than normal.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Baltimore Whore

Not saying that is the deal, but i would def look into that if all else seems to be correct.. Any signs of dust or rubber on your blower pulley.. If they were milled it might be a 5 10k clean up. Still way bigger then the stock 5.3's chambers.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:28 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just read all of this. I think your combo isn't quite right for trying to meet your expectations. The 317's on a 5.3(even milled) would make a decent running 5.3 into a dog. Add the supercharger, get 5-6 psi, and now you're doing alright, certainly better than stock, but still not what you are expecting. The stock heads would probably net you better results, at least with that Powerdyne.

Get rid of the PD and move up to a D-1 PC. Since the 317's are already on, run 'em. I've never seen a PD make big numbers or decent track times anyways. If somebody has good results with one, post up your combo. It may help the OP.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm gonna be selling he truck so spending the money on a different source of forced induction isn't something I wanna do. I guess I could always clean up the stock heads and swap the guts over and go from there.

Quick Reply: Powerdyne boost problems