FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Procharger guys with large FMIC in upper grille, input needed. PCM location?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger guys with large FMIC in upper grille, input needed. PCM location?

I am finishing up the build on my RST. I bought a P1SC and bracket set off of eBay a few months ago. Tomorrow Summit should be dropping off my Pro-Flo XT intake so I can finish up the intercooler piping. Right now I have the 31"x12"x4" intercooler mounted behind the main grille on my Sierra. The fmic outlets line up good and with some trimming I can fit the 3" piping in between the headlights and turn signals. I will be running the air filter over to the passanger side and later on I plan to make a air box. The only real issue I am running into with this large fmic and the 3" piping is on the drivers side outlet. The stock PCM location is right where the charge pipe off of the blower outlet needs to run. Even just to be able to bolt the blower in place the PCM had to be moved forward. So the PCM has to be moved and I wont really want to mount it any lower or have to extend the wiring harness to relocate the ECU. So the easiest way to solve the problem was move the battery and put the PCM in the stock battery location. The battery fits perfect against the firewall and has just over a 1/4" of clearance with the hood closed. Only downside is the firewall to fender brace would not be able to be used with the battery in that location. So all I would have to do is make a mounting plate and tie down and run the battery cables over there. Then I dont have to touch the PCM harness. Just wondering if anyone has done a similar setup and where you moved the PCM to allow the intercooler piping.

Sorry for the shitty cell phone pics but I wanted to show what I was talking about.

Last edited by 300zxls1; 10-26-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great man! always a good feeling to see that nice shiny intercooler
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks, can't wait to get it up and running again and test out the Pro-Flo Intake.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Just purchase a 99-06 Diesel 2nd battery tray. Goes right where your trying to move your battery. Do a search and you'll find the two part numbers you'll need.

2nd and IMO, better choice is to mount the FMIC to the bottom of the radiator support. You'll have to notch the bumper supports since your running the 31" vs the 27" which just fits. You'll get plenty of airflow and it won't block your radiator airflow. Then you'll just have to move the PCM over an inch or two and it will be a lot easier to route the cold piping.

Rick

Rick

Last edited by Rick_Vor; 10-27-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

GM Aux Battery Tray part #15246518

Rick
Old 10-27-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

heck rick where did you get your pipes and connectors and clamps from?? and what siaze pipe are you running??
Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm I think you might have been better off going behind the valance.. Seems you wouldn't have been having to move stuff around. I must say I like the way the front of your truck looks.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad_Apple
heck rick where did you get your pipes and connectors and clamps from?? and what siaze pipe are you running??
I usually order one of the eBay generic 3.0" polished kits with asst silicone couplers/clamps and then order the specialized couplers (ie: 4.0 to 3.0" 90, etc) from Silicone Intakes. Great service and pricing. They're not a Sponsor so you will have to Google their website.

Rick
Old 10-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick what is the quality on them ebay kits?? I ahve thought about getting one, but wasn't sure if they are nice and sturdy with a good side wall... I buy alot of my stuff from treadstone
Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Hmm I think you might have been better off going behind the valance.. Seems you wouldn't have been having to move stuff around. I must say I like the way the front of your truck looks.
Ya at first I had planned to go with the intercooler going low behind the front valance. But I have had one to many run ins with racoons and other stuff on the road. I wanted to get the intercooler up high and safe, because of the low stance of the truck. And Im sure with the intercooler in the valance you get more than enough flow. But in the main grille the entire face of the intercooler is exposed. So I ordered the battery tray today, got it for $28. So the battery move will be a sinch. Then I can easily mount the ECU in its old location. So there really not to much to move and I think it will clean up the engine bay a little. Plus the 31x12x4 intercooler fit to good in the open main grille of the GMC trucks to not put it there and I have to agree the front end looks complete with the intercooler.

I got the Edelbrock Pro-Flo intake, Pro-Flo rails, 60# injectors, LS2 90mm T/B and X-Link adapter. So I am all set to finish up the intercooler piping and mount Tial 50MM bov. Then all thats left is install the fuel pump and I can finally see how this setup runs.

Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: Procharger guys with large FMIC in upper grille, input needed. PCM location?