FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Procharger has the Coolest IAT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:03 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Procharger has the Coolest IAT?

I am correct in assuming that a procharger would conduct the least amount of heat to the charge side in relation to other FI systems?
My reasoning is that a turbo can transfer heat through conduction because the turbine and the compressor are bolted to each other and also through radiation since they are in such close proximity.
Radix is soaking up heat since it sits right on top of the block so it gains it through conduction and because it's a postive displacement pump it produces more heat.
And the procharger's only point of contact with the block is via the bracket which I don't see as conducting enough heat to make a difference and it has a turbo housing but doesn't have the hot gasses from the turbine side to heat the compressor housing.
I know they are all gonna produce raised intake charge but when I was logging my buddies radix his IAT would spike to + 160 after only the second WOT pull and when I was logging my turbo it would never get that hot after even 10 pulls.

Last edited by Spoolin; 10-30-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend finding someone with one on there car and seeing how warm it is after they drive it.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my procharger ran pretty cool. Allen from Nelson asked me if I was runnin meth because my temps were nice and cool. My Temps with the Turbo aren't too bad either.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find and isentropic efficnecy map.. that shows you how "cool" its running
Old 10-17-2007, 04:28 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown2300
Good advice
Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown2300
Ummm....what is a isentropic efficiency map and where am I supposed to find one?

And I assume that the "cool" was meant as sarcasm. I'm aware that they are all, regardless of design, going to produce heat but I was curious in relation to each other which one produced more heat given similar variable's.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Launching!

I recently installed a Pro Charger on a friend's 07 Silvy.............and we were amazed with the IAT's. Normal driving starts running at 117.......being the outside temperature of 82*. First test run would go to 124...........made like 3 more test runs and got no more above than 126. Although between every test run, we'd part throttle it for like less than half a mile then go at it again so the IAT would drop a lil'...

He's got a 3-core intercooler though.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If your talking about heat from heat soak at part throttle cruising conditions, then ya probable, but most of the high IAT heat is created when you are compressing the air, not from radiant heat from the charger. When your boosting, the air is not in the compressor long enough to transfer much heat from the housing to the inlet air. Like the others have said, you would have to look at compressor efficiency maps to see what compressors are more efficient.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Prochargers run cool like turbo's.The problems with trucks is that Procharger put's the intercooler under the truck.If you mount it infront of the radiator the inlet temps drop alot.They ussually run 10-15 degree's above ambiant and might go 30 degree's above ambiant on a 1/4 run.

Last edited by BlownChevy; 10-18-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a bit of experience with the centrifugal's on the trucks. The coolest IAT's I've seen in anything that makes bigger power is the Rotrex with the intercooler. The Prochargers do run impressively cool if you use the 3 core intercooler. A friends D1SC SSS running 12.5's has roughly a 20 degree IAT gain from the launch to letting off the throttle at the end of a quarter mile run. The truck has minimal mods other than the blower and even with it being a centrifugal, it still pulls a 1.7 60' launching off idle. (has a 2600 stall).

Quick Reply: Procharger has the Coolest IAT?