FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Procharger has the Coolest IAT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I am correct in assuming that a procharger would conduct the least amount of heat to the charge side in relation to other RI systems?
I can't speak with experience on the Procharger. I can tell you that with my Powerdyne, IAT is usually about 5-10* above ambient. The compressor itself does get pretty hot. My IAT sensor is still on the MAF (inlet side) and I have a FMIC. Post IC piping is usually cool to the touch (as it should be). With that said, IAT'S will go 10-20* above ambient on a hot day and mostly when I'm over clocking the unit with a 9 or 11 lb. pulley. All in all though IAT'S stay in check most of the time. My alternator gets hotter than the S/C does. Spinning a turbine to 45k RPM's is gonna create some heat no matter if it's oil fed or otherwise and that resulting heat will transfer / be conducted by and thru the piping. And that doesn't even account for heat generated by the air being compressed. So make of it what you will. I like my setup but I would def. like to try out the Procharger if I were doing it over again. BTW Meth installed but not operating yet so I expect to see things cool down even more, once I relocate the IAT sensor......and get it kicking on/tuned right.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
If your talking about heat from heat soak at part throttle cruising conditions, then ya probable, but most of the high IAT heat is created when you are compressing the air, not from radiant heat from the charger. When your boosting, the air is not in the compressor long enough to transfer much heat from the housing to the inlet air. Like the others have said, you would have to look at compressor efficiency maps to see what compressors are more efficient.
Yeah I was asking more about heat soak more than anything. I understand that air heats up when compressed but was wondering more about which system cools itself off faster, meaning less heat soak to overcome from external sources or design characteristics.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

The Procharged Escalade I just picked up, after some great work by Allen at Nelson Motorsports, is consistently running only 20 degrees above outside temp. Allen gave it a great tune and a Snow Meth kit.

All I need now is a higher stall converter and ZOMG!

D
Old 10-27-2007, 11:23 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Whipple and spray is all i got to say............

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...c800ef37d4.htm
Old 10-27-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly doubt a Whipple has the lowest IAT.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

No matter what setup you have, a good intercooler setup is needed. The only way to know if it works well, is meassure before and after. Thats all. To say one FI system offers the lowest is a tough statement.

Rick
Old 10-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Just from what I've seen, turbo's have it by a long shot!
Every procharger we tune has to have an intercooler and spray just to stay cool and keep good timing on the topend when compared to an intercooled turbo setup. We typically see 160+deg on the prochargers with no spray and about 120-140 with spray. Spray being water injection, meth mix, etc.
All the turbos we do always have intercoolers and they don't run over 110degs.
Whipple is very hot, but works. Try putting the iat in the hat that's between the charger and intake manifold, you'll register an easy 190+degs.
Radix is a tad cooler than the procharger and as always, is a good charger.

Also keep in mind the Radix iat is under the charger, sandwhich'd between the charger and hot engine, so it's going to register a tad warmer.
IAT location has a lot to do with it.

btw, this is during the summer time with about 8-10psi.

Like I said, just my exp. and what I've seen here.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmTruc
Just from what I've seen, turbo's have it by a long shot!
Every procharger we tune has to have an intercooler and spray just to stay cool and keep good timing on the topend when compared to an intercooled turbo setup. We typically see 160+deg on the prochargers with no spray and about 120-140 with spray. Spray being water injection, meth mix, etc.
All the turbos we do always have intercoolers and they don't run over 110degs.
Whipple is very hot, but works. Try putting the iat in the hat that's between the charger and intake manifold, you'll register an easy 190+degs.
Radix is a tad cooler than the procharger and as always, is a good charger.

Also keep in mind the Radix iat is under the charger, sandwhich'd between the charger and hot engine, so it's going to register a tad warmer.
IAT location has a lot to do with it.

btw, this is during the summer time with about 8-10psi.

Like I said, just my exp. and what I've seen here.
Are you referring to non-intercooled Prochargers?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Notorious BIG

I think it also has alot to do with where the IAT sensor is at. Guys that run the IAT sensor before the blower get useless IAT readings as the air is going to be XXX times hotter when it enters the cyclinders.

*EDIT nevermind, just read Allen's post, i see that he already mentions this.

Last edited by Holty; 10-30-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I phrased the original question improperly, what I was trying to get at was which FI system cools down the fastest after a WOT run. Meaning which system acquires the least amount of heat soak from it's set-up/design. I'm definitely not suggesting one set-up is better than another at all so please don't start flaming. What got me wondering was my buddies truck wouldn't cool down even after driving it light throttle for 10 minutes, shutting it off and parking it for 15 minutes and once we started it back up the IAT were still at 150. Like you said Holty it has alot to do with where the sensor is and I realize with a Radix that it's right on top of the block so it's gonna soak up alot of external heat from the block, heads, the charger itself with is still hot, etc...
Obviously there are a lot of different IC set-ups that will allow ANY FI system to run whatever desired temps that you want to achieve given the correct set-up.

Quick Reply: Procharger has the Coolest IAT?