FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Procharger has the Coolest IAT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Obviously there are a lot of different IC set-ups that will allow ANY FI system to run whatever desired temps that you want to achieve given the correct set-up.
Sounds like you just answered your own question bro. I don't have expereience with all the blowers, but i do with the radix and the vortech w/ aftercooler. Vortech wins over the radix hands down in heat soak.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by zippy
Are you referring to non-intercooled Prochargers?
Yes, I'm referring to intercooled procharger. A turbo charged intercooled setup will run cooler during a wot run.
I have two gto's in the shop right now to prove it. One had a p series, we upgraded it to a d series, due to mods and we just had two aps gto's here. The aps kits run cooler with no spray when compared to the procharger running spray.
The aps kits had the supplied intercooler on them and iat's never got above 10degs above amb.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

My setup will run about 8 above ambient at cruise (after everyting is heatsoaked) and after a WO pull (first through third) my IAT's will climb up to about 12-15 above ambient. Once I get out of the throttle they will drop to about 10 above almost instantly then back to 8 above after a couple minutes of cruising. Couple of things that help my setup is that the blower is off manifold and the intercooler is mounted behind my rather large opening in the Denali lower bumper.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Notorious BIG

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
My setup will run about 8 above ambient at cruise (after everyting is heatsoaked) and after a WO pull (first through third) my IAT's will climb up to about 12-15 above ambient. Once I get out of the throttle they will drop to about 10 above almost instantly then back to 8 above after a couple minutes of cruising. Couple of things that help my setup is that the blower is off manifold and the intercooler is mounted behind my rather large opening in the Denali lower bumper.
Pat, where is your IAT sensor? before or after the blower?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Admin

Come on Josh, you know me better then that. First am not even running a MAF. First pic is of the piping and the second shows where the IAT sensor is. Its about 4" from the inlet of the intake manifold (after the intercooler)

Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Admin

Mine was after the blower even with the stock KB setup, they relocate have the relocation as part of the install like it should be. Before the intercooler was put on they were like 50-60above at cruise and like 100 or so above after a WO pull. My intercooler if I feel it on the inlet side its pretty warm and the outlet side feels like the truck has never been running. Prior to intercooler install the max timing it would take at WO before knock was like 12-13degrees now I have had it as high as 21 on pump gas. I usually run 19-19.5 on the street at WO.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Holty
I think it also has alot to do with where the IAT sensor is at. Guys that run the IAT sensor before the blower get useless IAT readings as the air is going to be XXX times hotter when it enters the cyclinders.
How so? If my IAT's are almost exactly the same with the sensor mounted pre blower, the purpose of the exercise is to keep IAT' down so as not to have timing pulled, right?

I understand that you obviously want a cooler air charge for denser air, but if my intercooler is doing it's job and the discharge pipe is just as cool as yours, then what purpose does moving it actually serve?

Originally Posted by RedHot04
I can tell you that with my Powerdyne, IAT is usually about 5-10* above ambient...My IAT sensor is still on the MAF (inlet side) and I have a FMIC. Post IC piping is usually cool to the touch (as it should be). With that said, IAT'S will go 10-20* above ambient on a hot day and mostly when I'm over clocking the unit with a 9 or 11 lb. pulley.
ALMOST EXACTLY SAME RESULTS...

My setup will run about 8 above ambient at cruise (after everyting is heatsoaked) and after a WO pull (first through third) my IAT's will climb up to about 12-15 above ambient. Once I get out of the throttle they will drop to about 10 above almost instantly then back to 8 above after a couple minutes of cruising.

Mine was after the blower even with the stock KB setup, they relocate have the relocation as part of the install like it should be. My intercooler if I feel it on the inlet side its pretty warm and the outlet side feels like the truck has never been running. Prior to intercooler install the max timing it would take at WO before knock was like 12-13degrees now I have had it as high as 21 on pump gas. I usually run 19-19.5 on the street at WO.
Once again almost exactly the same on mine cool to the touch and I'm usually at 19-21.5* at WOT.

Sorry to hijack man... but I don't see how moving the sensor is gonna make a big diff. I have planned on doing it but now I'm not so sure I want to. EXCEPT that it will make a diff. when at WOT >>>AND<<< spraying Meth/water on it. Otherwise IAT's will be higher when at partial throttle/cruising and NOT spraying Meth/water on it.
The engine bay will always be hotter than ambient temps, and my sensor is located way down in the fender pocket so cruising is gonna be closer to ambient than yours is. Seems like a better idea to keep it where it's coolest as long as you have a decent I/C.

I must be missing something here?
SKOOL ME... or maybe I'm just tired...
Old 11-01-2007, 05:29 AM
Admin

The point of having your IAT sensor read actuall air temp as it enters the intake is so that it can be the most acurate. I have my IAT timing table starting to pull timing at 98degrees. It is a tad over kill but hey its not hurting anyting. Oh I see you are spraying meth too? Where is the Meth injected at on your setup? You should really move that IAT sensor...
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, on a boosted application the IAT sensor should always be on the boosted side of the intake system.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Notorious BIG

[QUOTE=03sierraslt;3763281]Come on Josh, you know me better then that. QUOTE]
sorry Pat, i knew you were SD, but totally forgot about that MONSTER intercooler you got on that pig.

Quick Reply: Procharger has the Coolest IAT?