FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

procharger or magnacharger for my 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both superchargers are nice setups IMO. People always say Procharged setups need a stall to work right. That's funny because alot of the radix setups have stalls also.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The true test of which blower is right for you is to answer the question - Where do you spend most of your time?

I observed my driving behavior over a week's time and saw that I spent the majority of my time under 4000 RPM. This made my decision a no-brainer - I got the Radix. If I had bought the ATI/Procharger, I would have thrown away my money - the sweet spot for a centrifugal is between 3000 and 6000+ RPM.

If, however, I had observed that I spent the majority of my time above 3000 RPM, the centrifugal would have been the better choice. That is why this blower is the choice of many who race their vehicles.

I suggest you 'take the test' and let your blower choice come from your results.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sandog,
I made the statement that most people's statements are based on hear say not everyone's.

I agree with your statement above.I've owned a 1990 454ss truck that was a torque monster up till 2500 rpms and then it fell on it's face but I have also owned a few street bikes over the years [which are all about high rpm's].So when I did my homework on what type of blower I wanted the centrifical was right for me because of the rpms.My truck is not my DD and when I drive it, it does go to 6k rpm's a lot.

I make 11# of boost @ 6k rpm's with a 4" pulley on my current set-up, so this blower is not being pushed at all.
One thing I always hear is how the procharger's have no low end torque but I can't agree for 2 reasons.
1.I have pulled a 1.7 60' with my current set-up below.
2.When I first put my blower on my stock 5.3 with my eaton LSD and 33x12.5 tires and a stock converter it would smoke them no problem from a dig with no power braking.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Look at before and after install HP/TQ graphs and you will see that with a centrifugal, the graphs are nearly identical until you get to/above 3000 RPM. You don't LOSE any power, but you certainly don't make any extra, either. Compare that with a root-style blower and you will see the TQ hit hard and fast - as soon as the foot hits the accelerator, you've got 100+ more lb./ft. than you did before the install, and that usually means 1200 RPM (+/- 200).

Now once you hit 3K, that's when you centrifugal will start to walk the roots - and there is nothing the roots can do at that point. It's shot its wad, and it's making more heat than power. So the centrifugal is clearly dominant in the upper RPM, and if that's where you live, you won't have any competition, except for maybe a nicely-sized turbo.

The key is the right tool for the job...I think that's something we can all agree on.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Baltimore Whore

Maggie == Overateted
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Default magnacharger

maggies. are very popular for a lot of good reasons.if you purchase the magnacharger you will be very happy with your choice. good luck.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Now once you hit 3K, that's when you centrifugal will start to walk the roots - and there is nothing the roots can do at that point. It's shot its wad, and it's making more heat than power. So the centrifugal is clearly dominant in the upper RPM, and if that's where you live, you won't have any competition, except for maybe a nicely-sized turbo.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:41 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
PSI is displacement and exhaust dependent.
It's dependant on a lot more that just those two!
Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That may have been the case with the MP maggies, but that's not the case with the TVS units. I have a TVS 2300 on an LS3 and the HP is still going up at 6500 rpm. The fun starts earlier with the TVS and it's not over 'till you let off the throttle. Not a whole lot of downside to it besides the $'s it costs for the kit. Most folks that swear by the centri's have never had the pleasure of a quick run to triple digits in a TVS blown vehicle.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by old motorhead

That may have been the case with the MP maggies, but that's not the case with the TVS units. I have a TVS 2300 on an LS3 and the HP is still going up at 6500 rpm. The fun starts earlier with the TVS and it's not over 'till you let off the throttle. Not a whole lot of downside to it besides the $'s it costs for the kit. Most folks that swear by the centri's have never had the pleasure of a quick run to triple digits in a TVS blown vehicle.
Well that includes me...all I've been in is MP-series vehicles. So I guess I'll just have to see what I can do about remedying that.

That in-car camera vid from a ZR-1 was CRAZY!!!!! Every time the driver shifted and goosed it, the front-end of that Vette pulled up to the sky. Insane!!!

Quick Reply: procharger or magnacharger for my 5.3