FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

procharger or magnacharger for my 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I would say that there are pro's and con's to them all...it all ultimately depends on your needs and driving style. I.E. what do you want your truck to do, and what do you use it for the most? If you answer these questions, then you will have answered the question in this thread all together. Just my .02
Old 10-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the dyno graphs between a magnacharged truck and a procharged truck. Ranwalk posted some a long time ago of his 6.0 with a D1 on it which ran pretty good but in comparison to a lot of the maggy graphs floating around here, he was out-gunned into the 4K range where his graph seemed to really take off.

Me personally Ill take my table top flat TQ curve and go beat up on higher HP vehicles street light to street light in 4hi. Thats what I loved about my 418 stroker with a 4K stall, now I can have that same power but no driveability problems and a 2600 stall
Old 10-07-2009, 05:31 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by idahoblkss
root style blowers are good but i would take a procharger over one any day because i can cruise around town and not even notice it there if im not into the throttle,it doesn't affect my gas mileage either. as for low end torque the root style will beat a procharger if its the base model p1 but as soon as you step up to a d1 "just one step up on the procharger scale" you will get stomped out threw the whole rpm range and if you want to do it right go with a f-series set up and you will be scared to even touch the throttle ... besides i like the under hood appearance looks on centrifugal better than a roots , centrifugal looks more custom ....
I can cruise around town all day and never know my Magna Charger is there too. Not sure what you know about the Magnuson Supercharger, but in MOST applications customers realize an INCREASE in fuel mileage under normal driving conditions. Case in point: The 2010 Camaro I was driving this week with a Magna Charger on it netted me 28.9 MPH over a 60 mile drive in 6th gear up hill, down hill and on the flats. The underhood appearance is personal preference, personally I think the centrifugals are too busy with all that pipe.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

root style blowers are good but i would take a procharger over one any day because i can cruise around town and not even notice it there if im not into the throttle,it doesn't affect my gas mileage either. as for low end torque the root style will beat a procharger if its the base model p1 but as soon as you step up to a d1 "just one step up on the procharger scale" you will get stomped out threw the whole rpm range and if you want to do it right go with a f-series set up and you will be scared to even touch the throttle ... besides i like the under hood appearance looks on centrifugal better than a roots , centrifugal looks more custom ....
Both the MP122 in my GMC and the TVS2300 in my vette are not noticable at cruise. The blower causes little or no load at cruise. Something like a third of a hp is what I've read. Fuel eco is at or better than the same motor without the blower. It would be pretty hard for a procharger to best that.

With regard to the low end torque, you'd need to have a procharger setup to deliver some mad boost down low to compete. If it makes that much boost at 2000 rpm, I'm guessing you're needing some way to limit boost up top. It won't do both. Yes, if you set up a procharger to ultimately deliver 15 psi, it will compete well with a TVS pushing 10psi.

I'll take my maggies against the centri's any day. I've even heard how "bad" all of the maggie"s low end power is. "Uncontrollable" is one arguement. That's a joke. They say it's not an asset simple because they can't make it.

In a heavy truck, just about any maggie will do fine if you're not wanting big power numbers. They are good at moving heavy things easily. Before the TVS came along, a centri would be my choice for a lighter ride. Now, I'd choose the TVS up to 700 rwhp+, and turbos for power levels over that.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
but in MOST applications customers realize an INCREASE in fuel mileage under normal driving conditions.
yeah thats with every supercharger system that i know of , but if your getting better gas mileage then you have no business owning a blower kit ...lol

Originally Posted by old motorhead

With regard to the low end torque, you'd need to have a procharger setup to deliver some mad boost down low to compete. If it makes that much boost at 2000 rpm, I'm guessing you're needing some way to limit boost up top. It won't do both. Yes, if you set up a procharger to ultimately deliver 15 psi, it will compete well with a TVS pushing 10psi.

i dont know how you can say that a 15 psi will compete with a 10 psi tv when i run with the pound for pound in the quarter mile now, the only differance is they pull me early and then i pull them late, its a pretty even match in the quarter mile psi to psi on evenly matched blowers unless your talking about needing a 15psi p/c to compete on the low end with a 10 lb tvs...

but then again thats what a stall is for .. a 3k stall will build about 3lbs of boost on a p1 from the get go and that is more then enough.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by exodus
Not saying that mine would crap out on me at the 4,000 mark, just saying that compared to what the standard MP122 is, how does the high helix version compare? Is it any closer to the TVS series than the standard 112 or 122?
I think all MP122's are "HH". I've heard the MP122's are a little soggy on the bottom end compared to the 112's. That hasn't been my experience. My MP122 will get into boost as soon as you can think you need it. I can see 5 to 6 psi at way less than half throttle.

I have a hard time comparing the TVS to the MP122 because of the weight difference in the GMC vs vette. Also my TVS vette has a six speed manual tranny compared to the 4L80 in my truck. Either will get into boost under 1500 rpm. I can't say there's anything the TVS won't do better than the MP122 though. If you're not looking for 500+ at the wheels, the MP122 does have one advantage......it's cheaper.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=idahoblkss;4305119]

i dont know how you can say that a 15 psi will compete with a 10 psi tv when i run with the pound for pound in the quarter mile now, the only differance is they pull me early and then i pull them late, its a pretty even match in the quarter mile psi to psi on evenly matched blowers unless your talking about needing a 15psi p/c to compete on the low end with a 10 lb tvs...

I guess I'm more into street performance. I just don't see high rpm too often and I value the power from the low end boost. I don't doubt that a centri with a high stall pushing similar boost would be better on the track. It's pretty damn hard to move a heavy assed truck no matter how you choose to try to do it. My older brother told me years ago how stupid it was to try to make a heavy truck haul ***. He was right.......and I'm still trying to do it
Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=old motorhead;4305136]

I guess I'm more into street performance. I just don't see high rpm too often and I value the power from the low end boost. I don't doubt that a centri with a high stall pushing similar boost would be better on the track. It's pretty damn hard to move a heavy assed truck no matter how you choose to try to do it. My older brother told me years ago how stupid it was to try to make a heavy truck haul ***. He was right.......and I'm still trying to do it
well thats the thing any body can make a light car fast , but to make a truck fast is sick!!! and what does it for me is the look on peps face with these factory "race cars" "srt8's, mustang cobras/gts , subaru sti and evos when they get stomped out by a truck..... nothing is better then that!!
this is me racing a srt8 300 b4 i had long tubes , exhaust , custom intake... http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=VID00018.flv
Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the pleasure of driving both. Instantly loved the Supercharged Denali, just like everyone on here says instant 2 second or more drop 0-60 (I went from about 8.5 down to about 5.9).

Thank God for all the experts on this forum who recommended a different stall converter for the procharged Escalade. Installing a Yank 3200TT brought my 0-60 down from about 6.9 to about 4.9 and just as they said it would, turned my frown upside down. Bit of a problem with torquesteer when really get into it now, but at least the vehicle performs now.

But now all this TVS 2300 talk has me drooling. Oh dear.

Bottom line though, don't do the procharger unless you do the torque converter too, otherwise you will be disappointed, is my experience. Good luck with your choice.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Blowndenalixl
Bottom line though, don't do the procharger unless you do the torque converter too, otherwise you will be disappointed, is my experience. Good luck with your choice.
Actually, that's an excellent point. You should figure the cost of a new TQ converter in the overall price of a drivable centrifugal-powered vehicle.

Quick Reply: procharger or magnacharger for my 5.3