FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

ProCharger vs. Rear Mount for DD/towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProCharger vs. Rear Mount for DD/towing

I need some opinions based on personal experience and where better to find it than here...

First off, I am a college student and this is my daily transportation. My 5.3 is pretty much stock with 78,XXX miles on it. I tow my bass boat quite often during the summer months, around 4-6 times a week, but very seldom through fall/spring. I also hunt out of the truck so it does see off-road, and I drive dirt roads fairly often when I am home, probably 15% of the time. I am aware of majority of the upgrades that I am going to have to do to the drivetrain and fuel system, which will be the same for either application for the most part.

I have been planning on doing a ProCharger setup for awhile now; I have already bought the mounting bracket/hardware for my truck used, as well as the owners manual and a few other minor things.

Second off, the only way I can afford to do either kit right now is to fab it myself. I will be going the ebay route for all the cold side piping and fmic regardless. I had planned on buying a used P1SC to complete that kit. As far as the rearmount goes, I am pretty experienced with a mig, and have access to a lift, so welding up exhaust parts for the rearmount wont be an issue; I can do all of that myself. The only real thing I will need help with is the tuning.

My questions are:

1. Which one of these kits would you recommend for my application/needs? I am more worried as to how the power will come on different between the two; I often cruise at 85mph/2200-2400rpm on the highway back and fourth from school, so I don't want to be in boost at this level when doing this for 2 hours straight.

2. Also, which will perform best from a towing aspect? Remember, towing/offroad is prob 10% of overall use, or less; but I can't do without either.

My goals are to be over 400whp, and to run between a 13.5-12.5 1/4 time. Yes, I realize turbo has way more power potential, but the ProCharger will get me the numbers I want fine. Which setup would be more practical for my uses? I want the power on tap, to play and pass at will, but don't plan on ripping the truck daily because it has to last me. Thanks for all input
Old 12-10-2009, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

My two cents keeping in mind your "towing", is neither. I personally own a Procharger and don't have anything against them and love it. However, if possible, a twin screw or roots style is a better option for towing IMO. They add more grunt at lower RPM where as the centrifical blowers and turbos start making their power at higher RPM. Again, just my two cents.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed with the guy above. or a small turbo that spools fast
Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

A properly sized turbo should rip down low. Check out bill reids 5.3 with a t netics t66. Made like 420 rwhp and almost 500 rwtq. He built it for bigtime torque down low
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, you can make almost anything work for you if you want it to. My thoughts are just something like a Magnuson is pretty basic and don't need to put too much thought into it and will meet all the needs you've shared.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'

My questions are:

1. Which one of these kits would you recommend for my application/needs? I am more worried as to how the power will come on different between the two; I often cruise at 85mph/2200-2400rpm on the highway back and fourth from school, so I don't want to be in boost at this level when doing this for 2 hours straight.
Is this possible and/or realistic with the selected options?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:35 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Used Radix kit FTW!!!!

Seriously, on your budget, and your goals, it is an easy decision(I think).
Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You just described a great application for a Maggie... I'm turbo'd and DD my truck but its in no way a "budget" setup, or one that I would tow often with.

Instead of trans mods. If you're looking for f/i and towing capability, go with a 4L80E right off the bat, you'll be happier in the long run and more than likely have less money in the swap than the several 60's you'll break along the way...

Last edited by silver-mod-o; 12-10-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'

You're not going to be in boost at all with either unless you put the pedal down, if you are crusing with low load....

2. Also, which will perform best from a towing aspect? Remember, towing/offroad is prob 10% of overall use, or less; but I can't do without either.

Can the stock engine tow? Yes obviously the radix/maggie has the low end torque, but the stock towing ability should be fine with a turbo or Procharger. The only caveat here is that with a turbo/Procharger you are going to want a higher-than-stock stall such as 3200+

My goals are to be over 400whp, and to run between a 13.5-12.5 1/4 time. Yes, I realize turbo has way more power potential, but the ProCharger will get me the numbers I want fine. Which setup would be more practical for my uses? I want the power on tap, to play and pass at will, but don't plan on ripping the truck daily because it has to last me. Thanks for all input
400whp is not going to put your truck at 13.5. a 5.3 running 8psi might hit 12.90s, correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck sounds interesting! Don't forget about fuel and other necessary supporting mods.

-Mike
Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

be careful if you do a rear mount. When you lower your boat into the water you might submirge your turbo.

Quick Reply: ProCharger vs. Rear Mount for DD/towing