FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

ProCharger vs. Rear Mount for DD/towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Jettt, I went 12.50's with my 5.3 on 6psi... Its very doable.

I still think he'd be happier with a roots blower given the description of the uses of the vehicle.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

you know my choice

Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Jettt, I went 12.50's with my 5.3 on 6psi... Its very doable.

I still think he'd be happier with a roots blower given the description of the uses of the vehicle.
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

-Mike
Old 12-10-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TYMBOM
My two cents keeping in mind your "towing", is neither. I personally own a Procharger and don't have anything against them and love it. However, if possible, a twin screw or roots style is a better option for towing IMO. They add more grunt at lower RPM where as the centrifical blowers and turbos start making their power at higher RPM. Again, just my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ' View Post
My questions are:

1. Which one of these kits would you recommend for my application/needs? I am more worried as to how the power will come on different between the two; I often cruise at 85mph/2200-2400rpm on the highway back and fourth from school, so I don't want to be in boost at this level when doing this for 2 hours straight.
Is this possible and/or realistic with the selected options?
I feel like I have given the wrong impression of what I want in saying that I tow frequently. Let me clarify what I am wanting; please tell me if this is possible or not, and which would be a better option. I think what I really need to know is what rpm's each setup will begin building boost at, under normal conditions as well as towing. From what I am hearing, a turbo/ATI setup may better suit my wishes.

On occasion, I pull for anywhere from 5 to 8 hours at a time to bass tournaments all over Texas and Oklahoma, in addition to the 2 1/2 hour drive to and from school. I can usually cruise at 65-75, pulling my boat, at anywhere from 2200 to 2500 in 4th on flat interstate with no problems. When driving too and from school, I usually cruise at 80-85 staying under 2400rpms on the interstate.

I have really no need for boost at these rpm's; My truck handles these situations fine now. I want to be running in the vaccum in these scenarios at those rpm's, building boost only when the tranny drops down to 3rd to pull a hill or pass. Would I really want to be building boost for a number of continuous hours, in either situation, when I have absolutely no need for it? The idea of the motor being under boost in these scenarios for extended periods of time just bothers me; I like the idea of not putting the extra, unnecessary strain on my motor and drivetrain when it's not needed.

Sorry if these questions seem stupid but I don't have much prior experience.

400whp is not going to put your truck at 13.5. a 5.3 running 8psi might hit 12.90s, correct me if I'm wrong.
I'd say there's lots of 5.3 turbo trucks on 8lbs running way better than 12.9's... You may very well be right about 400whp not getting me to a 13.5, but a cam swap will be coming later as well as headers if I go the blower route, so I'll honestly, probably be closer to 450whp. Stock lightning's run close to 13.5's, I'd hope that my 5.3 would handle one of those trucks with a turbo or ATI setup, either one.

be careful if you do a rear mount. When you lower your boat into the water you might submirge your turbo.
Never had thought about that, but I plan on mounting it closer up toward the cab and Y-pipe. It wouldn't be an issue in there.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

It's your call man. I know one guy that did a P1SC at first but switched to a Magnuson because of daily truck uses. You will not be in boost for prolonged times, once you reach cruising speed you'll be fine.

Good luck, sounds like you would be best to take your time and make sure you make the call you'll be happy with and do your homework.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Turbo systems making boost depends on drivetrain load and a few other factors... Its not simply based on speed or RPM. You won't be cruising in boost, until you roll into the throttle to pass etc... Much of this depends on how you spec your kit too, some turbos will come in to boost sooner than others..

I STILL say maggie for you, much for the sake of simplicity and you being in college and not wanting to continuously wanting to drop coin (or not being able to) in your truck...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
I have really no need for boost at these rpm's; My truck handles these situations fine now. I want to be running in the vaccum in these scenarios at those rpm's, building boost only when the tranny drops down to 3rd to pull a hill or pass.
You won't be showing boost in cruise conditions with any of those choices. All three sytems use (or should be using) a bypass or blow off valve that is vacuum operated. It will be open under cruise conditions so the Maggie or Procharger will be free-wheeling with minimal HP loss.

Like Silver-o-mod stated, the turbo will not be making any boost until it's under a load. My Bypass valve opens at about 8-10 inches of vacuum. You wouldn't know the turbo's are there until you hit about 1/3 throttle. The vacuum drops, you hear them start to spool and the boost kicks in.

It sounds like you tow enough that a used Maggie is your best bet. You can still add a cam or heads down the road. There are plenty of Maggie trucks in the 12's (and some in the 11's) so you can build a fast truck one step at a time.

Rick
Old 12-11-2009, 08:41 AM
12 Second Truck Club

My turbo truck tows just fine, when I had the procharger it towed great as well. as far as towing goes the maggie would probably best. but if you are set on procharger I wouldn't be afaraid to tow with it. Prochargers just make it seem as if you had a much larger motor.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta agree with the guys. A used Radix is fairly cheap, and easy to install, no headache a turbo system can give.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
My turbo truck tows just fine, when I had the procharger it towed great as well. as far as towing goes the maggie would probably best. but if you are set on procharger I wouldn't be afaraid to tow with it. Prochargers just make it seem as if you had a much larger motor.
Do you care to expound on that? I don't really understand what the difference is your trying to imply...

I think I'm gonna throw the turbo idea out the window. It just seems like it would take much more planning as far as which turbo would be best for my application, which I'm obviously not capable of. I don't doubt that there is a great turbo setup out there that would perform just as well or better than the blowers, but I don't have the funds to pay someone to work that out lol.

I guess the only other thing I really would like to know would be a sort of compare and contrasting of the ATI vs. MPP for my specific needs. What is it about the MP112 that makes it a better choice for towing/DD than the ProCharger? Does it build a better torque curve? Will it build boost quicker when needed than the Pro? Is it the simplicity and reliability of the kit? I have contacted ATI and inquired about having a P1SC rebuilt, and they told me that they really don't do that much unless something has been sucked into the blower causing damage. Will a used MP112 need to be rebuilt before installing on my truck?

One big aspect I do like better about the ProCharger is that it is easily upgraded to the D-1 if one decides to do so. I am definitely going to take a deeper look into a maggie setup though.

Also, thanks for explaining about the vacuum/boost relation at cruising speeds. I was under the impression that the BOV was solely used during WOT shifts and such, but I understand now.

Quick Reply: ProCharger vs. Rear Mount for DD/towing