FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

PT 62-1 Front Mount setup is done!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update> The truck has been up and running since Saturday and I LOVE it. I started out and go things going with the tune on a gold 5.8 psi spring. On Tuesday I cut out the junk summit super turbo and installed a 3" dynomax ultra-flow. The new muffler sounds great, I love the tone and the turbo really enjoys a better flowing muffler. I also installed a grey (8.8psi) spring in it and that made a world of difference in power output.

All in all the truck runs, looks and sounds great, I am very pleased with the way it turned out. There are still some things that need to be addressed, first off the transmission is about ready to **** the bed. The 2-3 shift only made about 10 WOT shifts before it started to flare really bad. I am having a local rebuilder put together another L60 with a restalled and brazed stock converter. I am planning on getting it restalled to 2400 rpm, any input would be helpful. Furthermore the Tial Q was shipped with a black spring which opens the BOV at idle. I shimmed it a bunch to get enough tension to hold it shut but have the proper spring on the way. It also needs a fresh set of knock sensors because I do not trust the originals.

The tune right now is SUPER conservative 11* timing and an afr of 11:1 and the truck pulls really well.

The last thing is the cost of the build. As I type this I have exactly $2987 into the turbo build. Understand that this is with a used $400 turbo. The gauges were free (loaned a car to a friend for a couple of months and he insisted I take them). I also co-own the shop were I work so a lot of my pricing is lower than most others. This only really comes into play on the small parts, oil, spark plugs, gaskets, fasteners, etc. I would not expect to duplicate this particular build for less than $4k-4.5. I pickup up the truck for cheap because I new it was going to need a trans and it needed a lot of work.

Here are a couple of finished pics of the truck, I will take more after I get a chance to detail it (I have only owned it for 2 months and detailing in the winter is pointless).

Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an awesome build. But I don't have a lot of faith on the 4L60. I've had a half dozen of them, from stock to heavily built up and they just never lasted.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

congrats dude!!!
one advise thou...swap to a 80e tranny and be done with the tranny woes.
just a salvage yard one and throw a shift kit in it will be all you need and is cheaper than a 60e rebuild.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bud8fan
congrats dude!!!
just a salvage yard one and throw a shift kit in it will be all you need and is cheaper than a 60e rebuild.
And it will handle the power better as well. And last longer.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work, and I agree throw an 80 in and forget it...
Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bud8fan
congrats dude!!!
Alright,
I swore I would keep this thing a 4l60 but now I am on the fence. I can get a rebuilt 60 with alto frictions, beast sungear shell and some other fun stuff w/ a restalled stock converter (2400rpm) for $1500 from a local rebuilder. He also said he would warranty everything but hard parts for 1 year (sounds like a good deal).

What would I need to swap to an 80 and what is the ACTUAL cost when all is said and done? Are there other issues that I would need to address with an 80 swap?

Thanks for the input!

By the way, how is your new build coming along?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Any thought on what this thing will make for power? I am hoping it will make 400+whp on 10#'s and 425+ on 12. Do you guys think these are realistic goals?

Also I would like to here from some other turbo guys about stall speed. I was thinking something in the 2300-2500 rpm range but would like some input.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Great build! i hope to have my t76 FM next week. BTW i have a 4l80e in the classifieds
Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I would go a bit higher on the stall I like the drivability of a 3k, the new setup, if it ever finishes will have around a 3600 stall. But It will probably be tightend a bit
Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did the 80 swap a few months ago and love it. I picked up the tranny for $800 from a local salvage yard with 42k on it. Installed a yank 3200 stall for another $800, new flex plate $50. You will need a new yoke on the tranny side of the driveshaft like $50 or something. Then just the time to cut and redo the crossmember, extend tranny lines, and throw in a shift kit $100. There are a few other little things, but thats the most of it. Then all you have to do is go drive it and enjoy knowing your tranny is good to go. By the way this was a great build. The work looks awsome, good luck and enjoy the boost.

Nick.

Quick Reply: PT 62-1 Front Mount setup is done!