FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Questions on race fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on race fuel...

Im heading to the dyno this Saturday and Id like to run some race fuel in the tank to be on the safe side and get some more timing out of her. I cant find any unleaded fuel over 100 octane, I can get 110 leaded all day long but thats a no no with the wideband and my other o2 sensors right? I can get 100 octane right out of the pump at a few gas stations so should I just run straight 100 octane in the tank? I was going to put 5-8 gallons of 110 and the rest 93. I didnt know if anyone had any experience with doing something like this. I have a meth kit I will be installing this winter so I would just be doing this for the one time.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

You'll be fine with 110.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't even change the gas if it were me. You will just have to retard it after the run so it doesn't ping. If you are looking for a specific number, I would just wait to have the meth installed. Sorry, I know this doesn't help, but that is just what I would do.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC you can find 103 octane unleaded in 5 gallon cans but I believe that's the highest you can find. I don't think leaded will hurt the O2's (could be wrong) but it will screw up a CAT fast.
I always drive to the pump and add 5 gallons of 100 proof to bring my tank to 1/4 so it's a mix plus I run meth.
I take it you will be tuning at the track to take advantage of the higher octane?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1989k1500
You'll be fine with 110.
Fine with 110 leaded? Thats all I can find around here, other than 100 unleaded.

Originally Posted by trever1t
IIRC you can find 103 octane unleaded in 5 gallon cans but I believe that's the highest you can find. I don't think leaded will hurt the O2's (could be wrong) but it will screw up a CAT fast.
I always drive to the pump and add 5 gallons of 100 proof to bring my tank to 1/4 so it's a mix plus I run meth.
I take it you will be tuning at the track to take advantage of the higher octane?
Well I had read that it mess's up the wideband or I should say decreases the life of the narrow and windband o2s. Also a guy at the race shop said it would be a bad idea to mix leaded fuel and unleaded.

I am going to a dyno in mass so I am making a little trip out of it. I will be going to my parents house in RI so along the way I was going to scan and send the logs to Wheatley for him to look over. I was going to scan on the dyno and send them to Charlie for him to look over and update the tune to utilize my time with the dyno.

Anyone see a bad thing with running straight 100 octane other than the cost factor?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are open loop SD right now,so the o2 sensors are not in use.They can be removed.Leaded fuel will take a tole on cats and o2 sensors (Not in your case)
Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wheatley
You are open loop SD right now,so the o2 sensors are not in use.They can be removed.Leaded fuel will take a tole on cats and o2 sensors (Not in your case)
What about the wideband?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I wouldn't even change the gas if it were me. You will just have to retard it after the run so it doesn't ping. If you are looking for a specific number, I would just wait to have the meth installed. Sorry, I know this doesn't help, but that is just what I would do.
X2...

It is really just my opinion, but I wouldn't dyno on conditions that I can't reproduce anywhere else, either at the track or street. I take comfort in knowing that the numbers I dropped on a dyno are the same numbers I'll see and feel if I stomp on it regardless of time or location.

If you dyno with a shitload of timing but have to pull it all back once you top it off with 93 on the street, your grin factor won't be so high anymore
Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

i had a 100 LL aviation fuel tank cleaned a couple years ago.the cleaner they used dyed the fuel when it was refilled.which is a FAA violation cuz the color is wrong.so we used in to get to the track and other employee vehicles. and wheatley stated correctly..it definately screwed up the cats.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

I would stay away from the l eaded... it will foul the wideband sensor. I would just run what you are going to use all the time, that way you can tune for the fuel you are using. Hate to see a tune with 100 then fill her up with 93 and torch a piston.

Quick Reply: Questions on race fuel...