FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Quick fix for STS oil return cap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick fix for STS oil return cap.

Did this about a week and a half ago. Lets face it the return to the oil cap leaves allot to be desired, The cap it soo thin where its attached it only seals on a thread and a half maybe at best.
I bought an inexpensive nylon internal and externaly threaded pipe fitting and enlarged the cap hole to accept the nylon fitting. The outer diameter is less than an 1/8 inch from the inside caps diameter so with the JB Weld I used, it holds nicely after cleaning all the parts with brake cleaner first.
I've checked it a few times and the epoxy is still hard and holding well.
Better than a leaky cap.
Seals without thread tape too!
Name:  IMG_1009sm.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  8.4 KB

Last edited by TG02Z71; 04-20-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya that oil return seemed like a weak spot of the system, so why doesnt sts just run a stand alone oiling system? they have the pump and what not, just take like a tranny cooler and run it inline and that oil will be fine. That would save you the worry about frying your engine if the lines/pump ever died. That and it would mean less oil changes and a smaller quantity for just the turbo....... you should make a billet cap for that thing.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Great ideal TG02Z71

Originally Posted by duwem
you should make a billet cap for that thing.
Like these
hotrod04 the 1st one is yours. It will be shipped out tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Quick fix for STS oil return cap.-2006_0411_231242aa.jpg   Quick fix for STS oil return cap.-2005_1230_001020aa.jpg   Quick fix for STS oil return cap.-2006_0304_005137aa.jpg  
Old 04-14-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blue 01
Great ideal TG02Z71

Like these
hotrod04 the 1st one is yours. It will be shipped out tomorrow.
Those are nice bro, I have the means to make them too, just don't have all the time I need to make all the stuff I want. Sometimes we have the wrong equipment in our show room so I don't have the CNC machine I need at the time. If I do make one, I'll make at least 10 after the set-up and prove out is complete. Good job man!!
Old 04-14-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

blue 1 what you charge for one of those?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

ya that oil return seemed like a weak spot of the system, so why doesnt sts just run a stand alone oiling system? they have the pump and what not, just take like a tranny cooler and run it inline and that oil will be fine. That would save you the worry about frying your engine if the lines/pump ever died. That and it would mean less oil changes and a smaller quantity for just the turbo....... you should make a billet cap for that thing.
I may just use one of those tanks I have for an oil resevoir and return tank. Does the oil suppling the turbo have to be under pressure or will gravity work too? If I need pressure I could just get a supply pump. That would give me the ablity to run a different weight oil for engine and turbo during winter, maybe have something that transfers coolantheat to othe oil as a preheater, keep my turbo oil cleaner too.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes the oil has to be under pressure to the turbo, like 10psi I belive, whatever your engine puts out. Some honda guy has been running a spray pump (for like a pull behind lawn sprayer, Surflo brand $40) on his honda with a rear turbo for 8k miles and didnt have a problem. The housing IS plastic and I would be afraid to run it on my truck. I know they have similar pumps with brass pumps. If you could have the resevour below the turbo (prob too close to the ground) then you could gravity feed outa the turbo to the tank then pump up to the turbo....I wonder what psi that sts pump puts out, someone should check that out. Is it a retrun to the engine or a feed for the turbo? Do you tap into the engine by the oil filter where that one fitting is you can drill out and use that for turbo feed pressure?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

yes the oil has to be under pressure to the turbo, like 10psi I belive, whatever your engine puts out. Some honda guy has been running a spray pump (for like a pull behind lawn sprayer, Surflo brand $40) on his honda with a rear turbo for 8k miles and didnt have a problem. The housing IS plastic and I would be afraid to run it on my truck. I know they have similar pumps with brass pumps. If you could have the resevour below the turbo (prob too close to the ground) then you could gravity feed outa the turbo to the tank then pump up to the turbo....I wonder what psi that sts pump puts out, someone should check that out. Is it a retrun to the engine or a feed for the turbo? Do you tap into the engine by the oil filter where that one fitting is you can drill out and use that for turbo feed pressure?
The STS pump is a return to the oil cap. The oil source is the little aluminum cast piece above the oil filter, you just have to 1/27 tap for the STS braided stainless oil supply line.
You can check it out this weekend if its not raining that is.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:30 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  DSC01177.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  50.5 KB

I know someone else with one of these! What a great product and piece of mind for a leak free oil system! Thanks again BLUE01 !!!!!!!!! THIS IS HOW THE KIT SHOULD COME!!

Last edited by TIM Z; 04-14-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

I need one of these!! When will you have more available?
TIM Z did your kit come with a SS braided return line? If not where did you get it and how much? Pretty sure mine is rubber.

Quick Reply: Quick fix for STS oil return cap.