FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

RAACCR's Syclone

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAACCR's Syclone

Hello everybody,
Long time lurker over here; been around LS1tech for a while, though. Spoolin asked that I post up some details on my build for you guys:

I'm the original owner of the 1991 GMC Syclone in my avatar. It currently has only 15k miles on the clock. The original engine and driveline is safely tucked away, just in case this thing ever becomes worth more than scrap metal. I've been a hot rodder and turbo fanatic for longer than most of you (or even your parents, in some cases) have been around.

Current build is a 408" LS2 with a set of the new PRC 237 heads, twin 76mm turbos, e85 fuel system, Megasquirt, built 4L80e, built BW 4772 transfer case, yada yada yada. I was a C5 'vette guy, until I got inspired to bring this old relic into the modern ages by some of the old Parish videos.

Just looking for it to be an interesting little toy for the streets; it should be fun. I'll try to keep you all updated on my progress.

Rob

Edit - I also have a TrailBlazer SS, so I guess that also qualifies me to stop in over here every now and then

Last edited by RAACCR; 08-15-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

Welcome over here! Very nice set of vehicles. Bet that Syclone flies with the drivetrain you have in it.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

nope still not allowed over here, to make it work you will need to trade your sy for my sierra, then you may post here..
Old 07-09-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm the original owner of the 1991 GMC Syclone in my avatar. It currently has only 15k miles on the clock. The original engine and driveline is safely tucked away, just in case this thing ever becomes worth more than scrap metal.
C'mon....Worth more than scrap metal? I will take it off your hands with the original drivetrain. Pay you more than scrap metal is worth too! This is one of GM's truly high performance vehicles. One of the vehicles, next to the "TURBO BUICKS", that got performance rolling for GM! There was not much that could touch this back in the day. PM me if you want to unload it!

I got inspired to bring this old relic into the modern ages
For being 18 years old, it does not need much modernization to kick ***!

Oh...By the way, SWEET build Rob! Welcome to the sight!
Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Prepare to beat the crap out of your firewall and trans tunnel for the 80E. An original owner 15K truck would be worth a **** ton if left alone. I say buy a syclone body for cheap and hack that up.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome over here...lets see some truck ****!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboJohn6
C'mon....Worth more than scrap metal? I will take it off your hands with the original drivetrain. Pay you more than scrap metal is worth too! This is one of GM's truly high performance vehicles. One of the vehicles, next to the "TURBO BUICKS", that got performance rolling for GM! There was not much that could touch this back in the day. PM me if you want to unload it!
unfortuanetly they are goin for crap right now, people are parting out perfectly good project trucks jus to get more money for the parts then what they would get for the whole truck. if i was him i wouldnt touch the thing, but like he mentioned i guess he can always put it back, but it wont ever be a "original syclone" ever again. but im guessing if hes had it this long its not leaving his hands anytime soon or ever..
Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Prepare to beat the crap out of your firewall and trans tunnel for the 80E. An original owner 15K truck would be worth a **** ton if left alone. I say buy a syclone body for cheap and hack that up.
I agree. I was going to go nuts with my low mileage bone stock Typhoon however couldn't do it. I literally had the cherry picker pushed under the front when i chose to find a good home for it and look for a beat up high mileage one to tear apart.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, cant wait to see this when its done!

And IMO, youve had it since new, **** it being original, do what you want with it and have fun!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Despite the low mileage, it hasn't been close to stock for a loooooong time. I pulled the original engine out of it less than a year after I bought it. (Funny story...I actually drove it straight from the dealership to the dragstrip, then took it home for the first time with an ashtray full of timeslips.) I'd be afraid to count the number of different engine/turbo/tranny combos its been through over the years. The market for these trucks is in the crapper; if anybody seriously wants one, visit the classifieds on www.syty.net . This truck is worth way more to me, just in sentimental value, than anybody in their right mind would pay for it. As a roller, its not worth as much as I have invested in the paint job. If I ever wanted to put it back to stock, I could...but I have no intentions of ever doing that at this time. There were some LSx swap motor mounts and oil pans being sold by a vendor, which were designed around the stock style TH700R4/4L60 series transmissions...those swap kits did require significant mods to the firewall and trans tunnel if upgrading to a 4L80e transmission. However, I am not using that stuff; if everything in the driveline is positioned properly, very little clearancing is required. Thanks for everybody's concern, but this is a done deal; it will be finished very shortly.

Quick Reply: RAACCR's Syclone