FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Radix Extremely Conservative to say the least...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radix Extremely Conservative to say the least...

The first hint I had that the radix system was conservative was that they tune them on 91 and test them on 87 octane gas to make sure there isn't eminent failure. In other words, if the wife borrows the truck and fills it up with 87 because there is no difference (can you guys relate with me here?).
This Question may be for BlownChevy more than anyone but Why can't Magnasun make a kit that is maximized and tuned for 91/93 octane with limited or no warranty. I'm sure there is a market for it due to the mass # of people on here that take a stock one and change pulley's right off the bat. Why not have a kit that is optimized with the tune as well.
Now I know what your thinking. The radix kit is CARB certified. Well I understand that a great portion of the performance media is in California thus the reason most companies congregate to that area and form and breed etc. etc. etc.... What I am saying is that only 10% of the population is in california, thus 90% of Magnasun's market is outside of California. I have proven that a stock LS series engine will run like a raped ape with no physical signs of detonation on 93 octane and 11.5-12 lbs boost in August Alabama heat. I would have paid $500 more for a kit that was already to the level that I am at now.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is pretty obvious that the people that live in California generally feel that the entire US or world revolves around them to some extent. They/you can't help it due to the film/media industry that surruonds you. I like the Chilli Peppers but I don't "Dream of CALIFORNICATION"
Old 08-26-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK I'm done venting. I'm going to get me a beer now!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mjhoward
OK I'm done venting. I'm going to get me a beer now!

The Radix is a kit that sold for use in all geographical locations, and yes for California emissions. I guess it is just the best way for them to market their kit, but I understand where your coming from. They could just tag on a small price for the "***** out" tune.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

The kit is available in that form just not from one warehouse. Get a pulley...from Nelson or another vendor and then buy HP Tuner. All told you're talking about $650 above the Radix base kit price.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:15 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is quite simple:

If we were to make a "***** out" set up with the hottest tune available it will BLOW UP MOTORS. There are too many variables out there to mess around with that kind of stuff, a tune that works with a stock 5.3 will be different that a tune that works with a 5.3 with a cam, headers, exhaust, and a CAI. What allot of people do not understand is that the tunes with these kits are SAFE, you will NEVER hear a story of a RADIX blowing up a motor....NEVER. That is the way we think, for every 10 people that buy a RADIX, 2 are like you and me, ***** to the walls. Why change the way we think and the way we do things? This will leave us open to more liability than you can even imagine. I/Magnauson know that there is SOME power left on the table with the supplied calibration, this calibration is 50 state legal (not just California). If you are like me and are looking for every last bit of power and are willing to take the risk (a new motor) to get there then by all means do it. Just remember that for every risk there is a possible consequence i.e. blow up your motor, void the warranty on the blower yada yada yada.

Don't for one second think that we don't consider the public when it comes to power, we do......it is called Responsible Power.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Responsible Power.
Wow, good term.

Anyway, along with what was said: Whose to say some numb nuts here in AZ where there is NO 93 octane, buys this "***** to the wall" kit thinking its just what he/she needs. They throw the best pump gas available in which is 91 (more like 89). Kaboom! Where's the finger going to be pointed?

Magnuson and any manufacturer of anything for that matter as to obide by the CYA policy. Cover Your ***. That's all there doing. And besides 80% of the aftermarket performance enthusiests aren't "***** to the wall".

The OE's can't offer a 93 octane car either. What would happen on a road trip when there is no 93 available? Even your supercars with 11+:1 compresssion HAVE to survive on octanes <91. Hence the 2 octane tables in ECM's.

BTW, I don't think 100-120rwhp with 6psi is conservative.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I do understand why I suppose due to the idiots out there. Negative publicity spreads a whole lot faster than positive. "Joe Bob had a magnacharger and it blew his motor up! Don't buy a magnacharger!".
I was thinking the customer could be interviewed or screened well. IMO most people that can afford to drop $5k+ on a supercharger arn't idiots though; their wife may think differently. I just wish I had the option. I guess I'm spoiled. I live in a land of no emissions testing, where 93 is at every gas station, and bootleggers still exist!
Old 08-27-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do understand why I suppose due to the idiots out there. Negative publicity spreads a whole lot faster than positive. "Joe Bob had a magnacharger and it blew his motor up! Don't buy a magnacharger!".
I was thinking the customer could be interviewed or screened well. IMO most people that can afford to drop $5k+ on a supercharger arn't idiots though; their wife may think differently. I just wish I had the option. I guess I'm spoiled. I live in a land of no emissions testing, where 93 is at every gas station, and bootleggers still exist!

Old 08-27-2005, 09:04 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just wish I had the option. I guess I'm spoiled. I live in a land of no emissions testing, where 93 is at every gas station, and bootleggers still exist!

This is not about where you live it is about keeping things together! I live in state that I can breathe the air in, and pump 3.29 91 octane at every gas station

I will tell you what I was just in your area, and it is BEAuTIFUL! But I will take California weather, Smog stations, high priced gas, the Governator, Gun Laws, Clean Beaches, and High Property prices over the Hummidity!!

Quick Reply: Radix Extremely Conservative to say the least...