FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Radix rotor coating & meth

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 05:06 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radix rotor coating & meth

I sent my Radix back to Magnuson to have it overhauled while my engine is out, and they found that the rotor coating is starting to come off. He offered to put a new rotor pack in for somewhere around $500, but my concern is that if I continue to spray meth through the rotors the coating will just come off again anyway, so I had him put the old rotors back in and just do new bearings front and rear.

What are the potential problems I will run into as the coating continues to erode? Noise only? Excessive wear? Metal shavings coming off the rotors? Worse?

What if I were to just spray water through instead of meth? Is that just delaying the inevitable or will it stop the erosion?

Is there a way to spray meth after the rotors instead of through them?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:09 PM
High on diesel fumes

Just talked to Kevin at Magnuson, sounds like the only adverse effect will be that the coating could flake off and start to clog the intercooler. He said that GM ran uncoated rotors on the s/c V6 motors for years with no problems, and the EGR system on the vehicles put a small coating of carbon on the s/c rotors that protected the bare aluminum. Since I have EGR as well, I think I will just try to keep an eye out for nasty high IAT's....if i run into problems again I may just have the rotors stripped so I don't have to worry about it.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that your blower has 80,000+ miles on it would it???
Old 04-20-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to try posing the question over at SVTPerformance.com as well in the GENII Lightning or Terminator sections. I don't know if Ford Spec'd Eaton to coat the factory rotors on their head units but wouldn't hurt to ask... maybe even get a tip or 2 over there as well

Anyone removed the supercharger from the manifold? Maybe see how much room there is and perhaps run a spray bar or 2 across the top of the intercooler "core"... just thinking inside or outside the box... depending on your perspective

Just some thoughts
Bill
Old 04-20-2006, 09:49 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like brian was right..
Old 04-21-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Radix blowers have a different coating on them than the lightnings, and it is not supposed to come off, at least according to Brian "Blown Chevy". Sounds like you may have a manufacturing defect.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
The Radix blowers have a different coating on them than the lightnings, and it is not supposed to come off, at least according to Brian "Blown Chevy". Sounds like you may have a manufacturing defect.
yes and no. depending upon what gen rotors you have, they may, or may not have similar coatings. But, remember, that neither one of them was designed to have any type of combustible fluid sprayed on them. As would be the case with any type of coating, the methanol will begin to erode it over time. it will not harm the rotors, but absolutely the coating will suffer. This is why I am not a big fan of methanol systems. You definitely do not have a defective set, but I would keep an eye on your discharge temps over time.

Last edited by jephs422; 04-21-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Why not just have the coating stripped off and forget about it. I mean, you're spraying meth already and you're not going to stop. Will Magnuson strip the rotors? Of course the clearances won't be as tight with out the coating, but then again you won't have a clogged IC.

I think any coating the egr puts on the rotors, the meth will just strip it off, hence the errosion.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:25 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stripping the rotors of the APC will only take away from the efficency of the supercharger......adding to increased IAT's. I remember you saying you had an issue with high IATs, this finding would explain it. I would suggest replacing them, and calling the person that told you it was OK and letting them know they were WRONG in advising that.

This answers the age old question "will meth damage my supercharger"

Would you run your motor without piston rings?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:10 AM
High on diesel fumes

Brian, I have a "sensitive" question - sent you a PM

Quick Reply: Radix rotor coating & meth