FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Radix rotor coating & meth

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone on this board took a radix apart about a year ago and posted pics of all the internals. Can't remember who it was. Search, maybe??
Old 04-21-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
The turbo guys have it easy, but can you imagine how long the turbo would last with meth or nitrous going through it?
No way man! They don't even last when fuel is put through them. It cavitates in the compressor and pits the crap out of it. Think of all the old draw through carb'd setups...yikes!

So stripping the rotors is out. I say you get new ones or get them re-coated or whatever. I don't think you want that chipping off into your IC. You'll constantly be pulling it apart to clean it as you watch your IAT's rise.

As for the meth, the spray bar idea suggested is a good one. You could also fab up something similar to a direct port nitrous system. You could use those things that go under the injector or you could drill and tap for 8 little meth nozzles. There might be somewhere internally aft the rotors that a spray bar could be slid into. But then you'd have to drill and tap into the blower housing.

It's not the hood clearance that would be the concern, its the cowl that hangs over. A 1/2" extra in height would make removal and installation tricky.

Big Tex was the one that posted the pics.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:25 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went ahead and had Magnuson put in a new rotor pack...the post-rotor meth injection might be a good project to tackle, I'll pretty much be out of projects for the truck after I complete all the mods that are in the works right now. I'm sure I could find someone locally who has a machine shop, or even get in contact with my old professor at ASU who ran their machine shop and might be able to fab something cool up, I'll have to look at everything once I get the truck back together and recover from the expense of all this ****.

FWIW....I had the blower put on when I had 35K miles on the truck, now I am almost to 120K, so yes, it had almost 85K miles. It probably was time for a rebuild anyway, but I don't want to be dealing with s/c issues in the future so I am done with spraying meth unless I can find a good way to spray after the rotors.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:30 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
FWIW....I had the blower put on when I had 35K miles on the truck, now I am almost to 120K, so yes, it had almost 85K miles. It probably was time for a rebuild anyway, but I don't want to be dealing with s/c issues in the future so I am done with spraying meth unless I can find a good way to spray after the rotors.

That is up there in miles.....I am glad you decided to go with the new rotor group, you will not regret the spending.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

dewmanshu - answers to your questions:

seriously? do you have 80k on her? how many of those miles was meth going through it? I have only had the meth kit on since last Aug or Sept, so maybe 10-15K miles with meth

What % of meth to water are you running. About how often are you into the meth, how many miles does a gallon of what %meth to what%water last ya? You had IAT prob's? How long have you been using the meth before the problem? With meth what's your typical IAT's? without meth?
First gallon I ran through was 100% meth, then after that I went to 50/50 or 60/40. I did have IAT problems, found out my I/C pump was not working. I saw IAT's of 237 at one point. However, even with a working I/C pump, I still saw IAT's over 200 when I was under high boost for long periods of time
Old 04-21-2006, 12:32 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
That is up there in miles.....I am glad you decided to go with the new rotor group, you will not regret the spending.
Hopefully I have found the source of my IAT problems as well...thanks for your help.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by thunder550
dewmanshu - answers to your questions:

seriously? do you have 80k on her? how many of those miles was meth going through it? I have only had the meth kit on since last Aug or Sept, so maybe 10-15K miles with meth

What % of meth to water are you running. About how often are you into the meth, how many miles does a gallon of what %meth to what%water last ya? You had IAT prob's? How long have you been using the meth before the problem? With meth what's your typical IAT's? without meth?
First gallon I ran through was 100% meth, then after that I went to 50/50 or 60/40. I did have IAT problems, found out my I/C pump was not working. I saw IAT's of 237 at one point. However, even with a working I/C pump, I still saw IAT's over 200 when I was under high boost for long periods of time

WOW! Thanx for the answers. So we are back to figuring out an After Radix Rotors Injection System (ARRIS, I thought of the name first!).

mj's larger HTXr and the 90mm/j-tube mod should do some damage to high IAT's and more importantly the recover of such.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have no fear of spraying 50/50 through the Radix. I will be spraying for a year and then take the upper assembly off for inspection.

Anyone else?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:27 PM
High on diesel fumes

It there's enough interest and I can figure out how to make them in volume I might be interested in making ARRIS's and selling them
Old 04-21-2006, 02:46 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't there some recycling of the air from below the rotors(part of the reason for high IATs)? So the rotors would still be in contact with meth even with an AARIS wouldn't they?

A clogged heat exchanger would not only interfere with cooling but it would also interfere with airflow wouldn't it? Also, can the stuff that flakes off cause any other damage if it gets past the heat exchanger?

Quick Reply: Radix rotor coating & meth