FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Radix rotor coating & meth

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too keep things in perspective... we're not talking about pure racing sports... a few laps or even a full season... we're talking about daily drivers, just IMO.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

okay soooo...drills some holes where the arrows are, weld in place some threaded bungs (I'd imagine welded in bungs would be stronger than threading the already seemingly thin wall) for the extra small meth jets which are being fed with equal length braided lines coming from a fabb'ed rail which is after the pump. I have an anti-reverse pump after my pump to keep pressure on the line from the pump..so after that. I am not sure about other systems and what they have. Hmmmm...thunder...now get a used radix and try it!!! LOL Meth right into the intake track.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by billreid1@***.net
Too keep things in perspective... we're not talking about pure racing sports... a few laps or even a full season... we're talking about daily drivers, just IMO.
In keeping thing in perspective, how often on your "daily driver" are you going in to boost and spraying meth?

I've seen aluminium sprint car motors that are 10 years old and had nothing but methal ran though them there whole life with no corrosion damage.

I sincerely doubt that spraying a gallon (in small, short burst) every few thousand miles, could possible do any damage to the motor or the supercharger.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dewmanshu, NICE pic!

kbracing96, a gallon every few thousand miles? How about a gallon a week at a minimum? ... over the life of the motor. I am not discounting your experience and/or information you share... I think we're trying to understand what, if any, affect there is on meth and coated rotors over an expected 50-100k mile (asking too much?) life span of a truck... not Hilborn injected small blocks spinning laps.

Last edited by billreid1@cox.net; 04-21-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Bill,

I run meth with my turbo, I am using my windshield washer tank (about a gallon) for a reservoir. I drive fairly aggressively and I may fill it up every 2 weeks, probably a 1000-1500 miles and it's not empty when I fill it.

The point I'm trying to make, is that while meth is slightly corrosive, it's not going to do any harm to your motor and in my opinion, will not hurt the coating on the rotors. Some people on here make it sound like meth is a highly corrosive acid that will eat anything it comes in contact with.

Chris has had is supercharger on is truck for 4 years and 85,000 miles, and he is by no means easy on it (I've ridden with him ). Plus he has seen over 200* intake temps on several occasions. I would put much more blame on that causing the coating to come off compared to the SMALL amount of meth that actually gets injected.

Most meth kits use a 15 GPH nozzle. Even at full steam that only about cup every 15 seconds (most WOT runs). That's a VERY small about for the air that is entering the motor under those conditions. Subsequently, that's a very small amount of actually fluid contact with the rotors. Not near enough in my opinion to cause any damage even if meth was highly corrosive to the coating.

Am not trying to start a pissing contest, just stating my view on this subject and trying to squash any misconception people have about meth.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're making my head hurt Kyle. Anyway, I asked if it was aluminum, because most heat exchangers that have Al fins have copper tubes. That was where my big concern was. I have no clue what meth does to copper, but everything around here at work seems screw with it, so why wouldn't meth. Know what I mean.

If it's that big of a deal to some of you guys about Al: go get some meth, and stick a piece of Al in it and record your results. I'm interested.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
The coating is an abradeable powder coat (APC). It is there to take the clearance between the rotors and the rotor housing down to almost 0. the rotors actually "hone" or "wear" into each other creating a nice tight seal.

You guys keep talikng about aluminum not being affected by the meth. Well what about the powder coat that actually makes the rotors seal tight.
It obviously takes up the minute gaps and irregularities in the rotor lobes right??
What if some
of it were being flaked or eroded off from the heat and the meth combination??
No sealing right? Less boost right? Leads to tinkering to get boost back and snowballs the issues from there I would guess.
Just my 2 pennies.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Default meth beneath blower issues

While I am sure it can be (or has been) done, it would seem that introducing the meth beneath the blower greatly reduces the margin for error. The design of the lower intake coupled with the shorter distance the meth/water would have to travel (less time to further vaporize) all the while fighting Boost with the meth/water delivery pressure may make puddling a real concern. Multiple injection points probably adds to the potential for puddling, as the individual injection points WOULD NOT be timed to inject only the cylinder that is coming up on its intake stroke. I would think that meth/water direct port injection would do little to nothing for Radix IAT's, and the reduction in the amount of intake tract that is exposed to the meth/water means less cooling. I am not saying that spraying meth/water before the blower is or is not bad for the blower. I am saying that by spraying before the J-Tube gives the blower a larger volume of cooler (already) more dense air to further compress, where as spraying after the blower is more like just adding octane. Just my .02 cents.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Way to think out of the box on this one. You brought up some very good points McKlusky. I think we all have worried ourselves into pessimism on this this topic. Bottom line is if you are going to go the meth/water route, be prepared to address the "possibility" of rotor coating damage. An isolated rotor coating damage case isn't the grounds for a be all, end all decision on the topic.

Good discussion guys