FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Radix w/ 2 Bar MAP Sensor Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radix w/ 2 Bar MAP Sensor Tuning

The tuning guru guy I have been talking to (he has not yet tuned my truck but alot of radix's) says the best way to go is to use 2 bar maps. I think I understand what the diff is but am not 100%. I am trying to get a little beter fuel milage when towing with this thing, will it help? Was considering loosing my EGT and going AFR but he says it is beter to spend $$ to go to his chassis dyno tuning and 2 bar it and be done. I like the idea but it is another $300 CAD or so on top of the $400-$500 tune. Plus he is 5hrs away. Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 bar tuning allows your pcm to see boost and richen your richen the fuel mixtures,while 1 bar tuning only sees engine vacuum so you have to guess how much fuel is needed to compensate for boost.The range of the map sensor is basicly doubled with 2 bar tuning.You can tune the truck properly with either system.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I am seriously considering going 2 bar as well but I dont fully understand it. I am told that my truck wont even run on its current tune if I install a 2 bar map. Correct?
Does anyone (Say Jesse @ Wait4me) do a mail order 2 bar so I can at least drive it until I get it tweaked with my EFI Live? I dont know about tuning yet so I wouldnt be able to tune it from 1 bar to 2 without a lot of help.

So, If I understand this right the PCM will now be able to read boost (up to 15psi on a 2 bar) and the MAF? can adjust fuel based on boost not just vacuum? Close? So the PCM wouldn't be limited in the higher rpms to just the fuel tables, it could actually adjust fuel if I were lean/rich? Based on O2 readings?
Sorry if this is a hijack but I think this is what the original post was looking for as well.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm using HP tuners 2 bar tuning and like it.It also has a boost enrichment feature that enables you to scale your AFR at different levels of boost.If you plan on adding a 2 bar,you'll need to add the 2 bar programming,as your pcm will receive incorrectly scaled map readings without the programming.And you'll defenately need a wideband to get the best use out of the 2 bar tuning.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:49 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I am seriously considering going 2 bar as well but I dont fully understand it. I am told that my truck wont even run on its current tune if I install a 2 bar map. Correct?
Does anyone (Say Jesse @ Wait4me) do a mail order 2 bar so I can at least drive it until I get it tweaked with my EFI Live? I dont know about tuning yet so I wouldnt be able to tune it from 1 bar to 2 without a lot of help.

So, If I understand this right the PCM will now be able to read boost (up to 15psi on a 2 bar) and the MAF? can adjust fuel based on boost not just vacuum? Close? So the PCM wouldn't be limited in the higher rpms to just the fuel tables, it could actually adjust fuel if I were lean/rich? Based on O2 readings?
Sorry if this is a hijack but I think this is what the original post was looking for as well.
EFILive has a custom operating system that support the 2-bar MAP sensor, and I have heard that HPT has something similar as well. Basically with the custom OS you have an additional VE table for boost values. If you are in vacuum, the PCM reads the stock VE table, and once you go into boost it references the custom VE table. There are also some other cool benefits (like valet mode - switched rev limiter, which can also be used as a 2-step), but that is the primary upgrade. Jesse at W4M should be able to tell you all about it.

And no, the 2-bar is not just plug and play. You have to have the tune compensated for it, I think the voltage outputs are scaled differently.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Originally Posted by whitt1
I'm using HP tuners 2 bar tuning and like it.It also has a boost enrichment feature that enables you to scale your AFR at different levels of boost.If you plan on adding a 2 bar,you'll need to add the 2 bar programming,as your pcm will receive incorrectly scaled map readings without the programming.And you'll defenately need a wideband to get the best use out of the 2 bar tuning.
Got the WB. Innovate LC1 & XD1 (I think that’s what they are called) That’s getting installed when the LT's and high flow cats go on in July. I will have to get with Jesse for the details but I think I have everything but the 2 bar sensor itself. He still owes me a tune from when I bought EFI Live from him so I should be good to go. I'll be looking to you guys for advice as I tweak the tune. I don’t know if my dyno guy is up on doing 2 bar tunes unless it’s fairly close to a regular dyno tune. I assume that a 2 bar tune is a little safer and maybe can even achieve a little more power because you can get everything tweaked more precise. IS this a good assumption? There has to be some good reason for going through all the extra trouble, right?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
And no, the 2-bar is not just plug and play. You have to have the tune compensated for it, I think the voltage outputs are scaled differently.
Correct. The 2-bar uses a 0-5V signal just like the 1-bar sensor, linearly scaled. 4V on the 1 bar = 80kPa. 4V on the 2 bar = 160kPa. Make sense? You can get away with running your current OS with the 2Bar, it is just a bit more complicated than using a custom OS, and leaves you with a bit less precision. As long as you have your MAF hooked up, you won't notice any issues with the decrease in precision.

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Got the WB. Innovate LC1 & XD1 (I think that’s what they are called) That’s getting installed when the LT's and high flow cats go on in July. I will have to get with Jesse for the details but I think I have everything but the 2 bar sensor itself. He still owes me a tune from when I bought EFI Live from him so I should be good to go. I'll be looking to you guys for advice as I tweak the tune. I don’t know if my dyno guy is up on doing 2 bar tunes unless it’s fairly close to a regular dyno tune. I assume that a 2 bar tune is a little safer and maybe can even achieve a little more power because you can get everything tweaked more precise. IS this a good assumption? There has to be some good reason for going through all the extra trouble, right?
A 2 bar tune is definitely a bit safer. If your MAF fails and you default into VE mode, then you still have accurate fueling in boost, whereas with a 1 bar sensor, once you hit boost the PCM has no idea what to provide for fueling.

Another benefit is you can go to an SD tune on a boosted vehicle, which has a whole plethora of benefits (and a few drawbacks).

BTW, I can help you get rolling with a 2 bar tune if you want. Do you have EFI Live Personal or Commercial?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

I have a Wester's tune which is good for towing and for overall performance. Are the Wester's tunes this type of tune? I have not heard of this before. May have to look into as I live right in Edmonton.

Thanks

Derrick
Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowndenalixl
I have a Wester's tune which is good for towing and for overall performance. Are the Wester's tunes this type of tune? I have not heard of this before. May have to look into as I live right in Edmonton.

Thanks

Derrick
I don't think westers does 2 bar. When I talked to them about some take off MAPs they had for sale to see if they where 1 or 2 bar, they told me that you don't need 2 bar with FI. I told them I was already running 2 bar and was looking for a 2 bar MAP for another project, his partner guy acted like he didn't know what I was talking about .
Old 06-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whitt1
Wideband? Is this a largre range O2 sensor? Doesn't the MAF help to set up the programming and ect? The guy at Cambell did not mention needing a wideband so can you expand on this please.

Quick Reply: Radix w/ 2 Bar MAP Sensor Tuning