FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Radix w/ 2 Bar MAP Sensor Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m7 rocket
I just found out that Nolan @ Campbell works Wednesday to Friday only so you should wait till then to call him. I talked to others there and they were ok, but advised waiting and talking to Nolan.
I talked with Mark today and he seemed really knowledgeable and helpful. So I made an appointment to have a 2 bar tune done on July 5 (they had an opening on June 30 but I am heading up to Peace River that day with the trailer - last trip with the Westers tune for a bit!).

At any rate, the way it was explained to me by Mark, is that a non 2 bar tune ends once boost is achieved. A 2 bar tune allows for different maps etc to be put in place depending on the amount of boost used. So the vehicle has a different reaction when on 2lbs of boost vs 5lbs vs 7lbs, if I understand Mark right (and remember I have 2 left hands when it comes to tech things). But anyways, he also told me it should help with my EGT concerns as well.

Since I have about 60k Cdn dumped into this vehicle, another 700 or so will be worth it to try and optimize its operation.

Will keep you posted Rocket. Additionally, I think I will plant a bug in these guys ear to see if they want to become a site sponsor. Can somebody PM me what the requirements are? Worth a try anyways cuz they seem to be doing some really cool stuff which this crowd has a big appetite for.

D
Old 06-12-2006, 06:22 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 1-bar MAP sensor and the corresponding tune only goes up to 105kPa manifold pressure, which I believe is what you would hit if the pressure inside the manifold were the exact same as the pressure outside. When you go to a custom tune that has 2-bar or 3-bar capability, the max manifold kPa goes way up to something like 300 (don't remember exactly), which is enough to take you up to about 30psi boost. The benefit is that in a 1-bar tune with FI, you hit PE mode and the computer sends a fixed amount of enrichment (extra fuel), regardless of what kind of boost you are making. In a 2-bar tune, the PCM sends in a variable amount of extra fuel based on how much boost. Much more flexibility and accuracy.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a 3-bar sensor that plugs right in? Or is the 2-bar close enough if you run upper teens boost?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Hey Blown. Glad to hear you are going to give them a try. I am booked for July 17 but not sure if doing it still or not. Please, please, please let me know how she goes cause I am driving there on the start of my 3 week vacation and the last thing I need is to spend it in Edmonton waiting for truck to be fixed. I am sure that won't happen but am really curious how the results go for you and how long it will take, etc...
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Hey again Blown, did Mark mention anything about a wideband O2 being any help with their tune? They did not to me and I am seeing some people recommending to get one with a 2 bar map. I don't even know what a wideband really does differently but hoping someone can explain how it would work and what the benifit is.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sliderbkt
Is there a 3-bar sensor that plugs right in? Or is the 2-bar close enough if you run upper teens boost?
up to 14 2bar
up to 28 3bar
Old 06-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dc96819
up to 14 2bar
up to 28 3bar
But, is there a 3bar sensor that is plug and play? If not the 2 bar would work well until 14.7psi then it would guessing after that.

I realize 14.7 psi is more than most will need, I don't mean to hijack.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Hey Blown. Glad to hear you are going to give them a try. I am booked for July 17 but not sure if doing it still or not. Please, please, please let me know how she goes cause I am driving there on the start of my 3 week vacation and the last thing I need is to spend it in Edmonton waiting for truck to be fixed. I am sure that won't happen but am really curious how the results go for you and how long it will take, etc...

Hey again Blown, did Mark mention anything about a wideband O2 being any help with their tune? They did not to me and I am seeing some people recommending to get one with a 2 bar map. I don't even know what a wideband really does differently but hoping someone can explain how it would work and what the benifit is.
Evening Rocket. Indeed I will post once I get the tune. If i doze off e-mail me at dwploof@telus.net and remind me ok?

I hear what you mean about not wanting to be delayed at the start of your holiday. A word of warning though is that they thought it would at best be a full day job, and may spill over into the next day. To speed things up I am going to go there in advance and let them download my current tune so they start fiddling ahead of time, which will save time on my install day. Additionally they said they will save my Westers tune to a CD for me in case I don't like theirs (but they doubt that will be the case.... hope they are right!).

I am getting mine done then as I am leaving for a 2 week pull to Fairmont myself at the end of July, so I don't want any unexpected problems either. I should get at least 2 1 hour tows to and from the lake with the trailer to see how it works. Looking forward to it - seems to make sense to have different fuel supply etc depending on the amount of boost being used, as opposed to a single program for all boost.

No mention of O2 wideband but then again I did not ask either.....sorry about that. If i am not too dozy I will bring it up when I swing by for their download of my tune.

Will keep you posted. I am quite excited about not having to worry about my EGTs any more....Plus some extra performance on low boost would be nice too.

D
Old 06-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Launching!

I don't even look at my EGT's any more. Big waist of money I think. Maybe I should have got a flashing light to go off at 1650 or so, then I could just watch the road.
Nolan said 6-7 hours to do everythng and wanted me there in AM asap. I guess an extra day is not the end of the world if needed. I just don't wanna be in some small town in BC and have a engine needing rebuilding if you know what I mean, so take your time in my opinion.
I agree that this entire concept of 2 bar tuning sounds like it is simply the best way to tune with much more precision than 1 bar. I sometimes wonder to myself why Magnacharger did not include it in the kit and the programming from Superchips. Even if it was $300 extra, I am sure many would consider an upgrade.
Which reminds me, I need to upgrade the heat exchanger for the intercooler that came in the kit. I have room for 2 of them in there and would really like to find just 1 to do the job. Maybe I will make another post for this...
Old 06-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Notorious BIG

to make ANY tune accurate, you need to use a Wideband A/F meter of some sort. There are many out there, i use the Innovate Motorsports LC-1. Head over to the hptuners.com site and check out there forums. you'll find a ton of great info on wideband tuning.

Quick Reply: Radix w/ 2 Bar MAP Sensor Tuning