FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Radix w/ 2 Bar MAP Sensor Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Holty
to make ANY tune accurate, you need to use a Wideband A/F meter of some sort.
Big wide band preacher here! I chalk my EGT gauge up to a bad investment due to misinformation.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I chalk my EGT gauge up to a bad investment due to misinformation.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Holty
Well keeping in mind that I have two left hands, does that mean that I should replace my EGT gauge with a wideband gauge, or just make sure that he has some wideband measuring equipment when he does the tune.

Should I show how clueless I really am and ask what wideband is? Oops - too late!

D
Old 06-13-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

AFAIK there is no direct 3 bar plug in for our trucks. The only thing that needs to be changed is the connector though which is readily available on ebay or from anyone who carries GM parts. It appears there are two 3 bar GM MAPs, and one is just the revised version of another. They too are ebay from time to time and MSD even makes a version. From what I understand, install the MAP, change out the connector, install your custom OS and you should be in business to do a 3 bar tune.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Teching In

We do use a wideband to tune in some cases depending on what the need is. The narrow band works well if you understand it, as it is more tricky to deal with than the wideband if your unfarmiliar.

The 2 bar tune makes a big difference in the overall driving of the vehicle as it increases the tuning resolution tremendously.

Mark
Old 06-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Basically a wideband is used to see what your real air fuel ratio is. We have a wideband that I use when I set up the tune. For a Denali I will have to do all the tuning on road because of the AWD system on the truck.

Basically once the tune is set up you will never have to look at it again, so having a wideband is not necissary. If you plan to keep making changes and want to tweak the truck yourself then yes a wideband is a very good tool to set up the tune.

Just for your info when I convert to 2 bar nothing changes under 105kpa the VE table from the factory can be used. I set up and dial in the VE that was added from 110kpa to 200kpa. Of course if I can make improvmentes etc in the non boost tune I will.

Thanks

Nolan Nykyforuk

Originally Posted by Blowndenalixl
Well keeping in mind that I have two left hands, does that mean that I should replace my EGT gauge with a wideband gauge, or just make sure that he has some wideband measuring equipment when he does the tune.

Should I show how clueless I really am and ask what wideband is? Oops - too late!

D
Old 06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Very good info here guys keep it coming!! But....how does a wideband actually work though. Is it a different O2 sensor in place of an old sensor location or is it another O2 added to system already in place? What does the guage show, just a digital read out for air fuel ratio? Is this just a beter air fuel ratio meter? I guess I am just to lazy to do searches on this stuff as I am sure it is all over the net.

Hey O260IN3, are you the Mark Campbell from Campbell Automotive?? Nice to hear from you if that is the case.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TurboV6
Of course if I can make improvmentes etc in the non boost tune I will.

Thanks

Nolan Nykyforuk
Oh man - I am so pumped I can hardly stand it. Mark and Nolan, Thanks for jumping into the thread and clearing up my botched explanations!

Can't believe I have been supercharged for 2 years and never knew about your shop. Shame on me!

See you guys soon!

D

Last edited by Blowndenalixl; 06-13-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by m7 rocket

Hey O260IN3, are you the Mark Campbell from Campbell Automotive?? Nice to hear from you if that is the case.

Yes, that's me, and TurboV6 is Nolan.

Glad to help were we can!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Wideband o2 is a totally seperate 02 sensor. You can get them with gauges, digital read outs etc. You use it as a add on to just monitor air fuel ratio.

Nolan Nykyforuk

Originally Posted by m7 rocket
Very good info here guys keep it coming!! But....how does a wideband actually work though. Is it a different O2 sensor in place of an old sensor location or is it another O2 added to system already in place? What does the guage show, just a digital read out for air fuel ratio? Is this just a beter air fuel ratio meter? I guess I am just to lazy to do searches on this stuff as I am sure it is all over the net.

Quick Reply: Radix w/ 2 Bar MAP Sensor Tuning