FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Radix w/ 2 Bar MAP Sensor Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0260IN3
I belive for Blowndenalixl it's about milage and better tune under towing conditions, not max power.
Bingo! If I can get the same power, with say a 1/2 mpg increase, that will be huge given the price of premium fuel up here in the last year to two. Every bit helps.

Will definitely keep the forum posted on the results. And M7 Rocket can as well!

D
Old 06-20-2006, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Old 07-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So hows the tuning going or is it done?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
So hows the tuning going or is it done?
Well it is early in the game but so far I like the way that it has been tuned. The vehicle seems to shift smoother and feels pretty torquey around town. I need to get it out on the highway with the trailer tied to its rear to get a real picture. Plus I am searching through my owner's manual to try and figure how to reset the miles per gallon history so I can start fresh. My average overall since the last time I set it was 10.7 mpg. On my trip up North last weekend towing the 7600 lb trailer in boost about half the time I got a dismal 7 mpg.

Probably go for a test tow on either Friday night or Saturday, so see what type of mileage I get and how it pulls up the hills, and further how everything else works. Plus I also need to get out with a G-tech and see where things are at there as well.

Nolan at Campbell Automotive is excellent to work with. On the morning of the tune he was nice enough to drive me into work with my ride and he very patiently answered all of my inane tuning questions. A real nice guy to work with. Nolan also told me that he would flash in any changes that I wanted at a later date as well, so that is nice to know that tweaks are allowed.

At any rate, will update this after I have done some runs with the trailer. My test on Tuesday will likely be about a 2 hour run (1 hour out and back), so that should give me some idea of the pulling power plus I will be keeping an eye on the mileage. Last weekend 2 hours of pulling meant about 70 bucks in gas! Hope it is cheaper now!

Of course the real test will be my trip at the end of July, where I will be doing about 1500 km or so (say 900 miles) through some hilly terrain, in likely 100 degree heat.

And also interested in the daily about town mileage improvements as well, so should have a feel for that by end of the month. Will keep on this link, and if I forgot just send it to the top and I will clue in

D
Old 07-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Launching!

I am very glad to hear of your tuning experience. I hope mine is just as good. I get mine done on the 17th, leave for ED on the 14th. After tune it is off to Vancouver Island for 3 week holiday. That should give me a good idea how it is working, hopefully all is positive!! Fournunately I will be back in Edmonton on Aug 26 weekend again so if needed I can make some minor tweaks. Keep me posted on your trip this weekend please.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by m7 rocket
. Keep me posted on your trip this weekend please.

Okay, just got back from my 1st sample pull. Went from the trailer storage lot in Edmonton to my in-laws lake property at Lake Isle (just past Gainford). At any rate, it was 207 km from hook-up to unhookup at the trailer storage lot. Drove 1 km to gas station (where I had started trip with fill up) to fill up again, took 66.7 L. So works out to about 32L/100km. If you recall on my trip last weekend, I used up 351L for approximately 1000km, so rate was 35L/100km. So I would say about a 1mpg increase with the new tune.

Some other observations. First the Pyrometer reads lower in all forms of use (regular driving and towing). When pulling on flat, seemed to read around 1200, and when slightly uphill (0 to about 3 lbs boost) it got up to around 1400k, only full out bag with 5 lbs boost did it get up to 1600. Last weekend when I bagged it uphill, it was a fair bit past 1600 (not for long as I backed off quick!).

2nd, may have to factor in the weather. Last weekend, when driving, it was high 20's, low 30's (Celsius folks - read 85 to about 100 or so). Today on the way out it was 22 and on the way home maxed at 25 (so say 75 to 83 or so).

Third, the vehicle seems to accelerate up to speed from a stop quicker. May just be an illusion, but seemed to notice a slight improvement.

Fourth, the vehicle does not downshift as quick. Nolan told me that he had changed this a bit from the Wester's tune, and I quite like it. Nice to be rolling up a hill at about 2800 rpm, with 5 lbs of boost, pyrometer at 1400 or so, and no loss of speed. By the way, I drove 100km/hr (60 mph or so) on the highway, and highway driving made up about 95% of the mileage.

So based on this small sample, I would have to say, so far, so good. Could not find the section in manual to reset mileage calc in vehicle, but will keep looking.

D
Old 07-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Good to hear.

My thoughts on the shifting.... I was going to get the downshift point increased (downshift easier), or at least unlock torque converter easier. I believe from my couple of pulls it would be alot easier on truck, less boost = less fuel used, therefore less heat, beter milage,... That being said it currently likes to drop from locked up in 4 to sometimes second for a second (lol) and then back to 3 and up the hill it goes. Nolan said to do this so it doesn't slow down as much and then with foot right in it it see's the need for second. I hope it works that way. Did you experience anything lilke that? It only works that way when using cruise, otherwise it shifts pretty good, just locks up a little to long.

Again I will be back in Edmonton in a month or so and Nolan invites me back to tweak anything I need.

I will also try to get online on my vacation to let you know how it is working, and also see how you are doing.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

The section 3-54 in the Owner's manual for the Driver Information Center (DIC) controls is what you are looking for. My manual is for a '03 Silverado so it might be a little different.

To reset Average Fuel Economy:
1.) Push the steering wheel button on the lower left that looks like a Fuel Filler Pump until average fuel economy appears in the display.
2.) Press and hold the lower right button that looks like an Enter button on a computer keyboard with the right to left pointed arrow on it. This will reset the average fuel econemy and it will begin again from this point.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mort
The section 3-54 in the Owner's manual for the Driver Information Center (DIC) controls is what you are looking for. My manual is for a '03 Silverado so it might be a little different.

To reset Average Fuel Economy:
1.) Push the steering wheel button on the lower left that looks like a Fuel Filler Pump until average fuel economy appears in the display.
2.) Press and hold the lower right button that looks like an Enter button on a computer keyboard with the right to left pointed arrow on it. This will reset the average fuel econemy and it will begin again from this point.

Thank you! Thank you!

Will do ASAP

D
Old 07-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Launching!

I wish I had an automatic fuel milage calculator and all them other gadgets. Then again, it looks as though we may not want to even know what our milage is, just pass over the card and sign it.

Quick Reply: Radix w/ 2 Bar MAP Sensor Tuning