FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Re-arranged my throttle bodies.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:43 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I took the truck out for a thrashing tonight. The belt stayed put and still looks like new! Looks like that issue has been resolved.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Were you able to get another vid this. The built looked to growing a couple of inches. Glad its coming together been a long road. You sir are one true hotrodder.

Rick
Old 06-24-2010, 05:07 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Were you able to get another vid this. The built looked to growing a couple of inches. Glad its coming together been a long road. You sir are one true hotrodder.

Rick
I haven't done any more vids of the belt stretch free-revving like that. Pretty sure it would look the same as before except that I rotated the tensioner counter clockwise a tad to get a little more clearance when the belt stretches. Machining the backs of the 3.0 pulleys to get the correct offset seems to have done the trick.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrX
...I also re-arranged the throttle bodies to knock a few inches off the negative hood clearance before I get the custom hood fabricated. It may not be pretty, but it is the best I could come up with after playing with various ideas over the last year. I'll work on the ducting once I get a few more elbows.

Here's a little vid of it running again. ...

That looks so sweet. But what is that little square plate on top, in front of Edelbrock elbow?

Originally Posted by DrX
EFILive has a warning about tweaking that table more than a few % resulting in a fried PCM, but it looks like some have made significant changes. I wouldn't think that decreasing the pedal response would an issue.

...Re-arranged and re-aligned some things today and slapped on another belt. Pulleys look well-aligned until I put the belt on, then the center idler between the 2 blowers appears to be tipped very slightly upward. Might have to stifffen things up some more.

Also noticed that my boost guage was reading close to 21 psi, but my logged boost was a couple of psi less. Both are tee'd off the same port. Something is not calibrated correctly.

BTW, the throttle response scaling table did the trick for taking care of the twitchy throttle. As a starting point I reduced the portion below 60% Pedal Position by 50% and then blended that into the upper portion of the table. Will probably do some more tweaking to that table when I get a chance.
But how can people get away w/. exactly what EFILive warns against? Or is it more of a take your chances sort of thing & hope ya don't fry PCM?

Did u fix this (highlighted in red) & how?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastnblu
That looks so sweet. But what is that little square plate on top, in front of Edelbrock elbow?

But how can people get away w/. exactly what EFILive warns against? Or is it more of a take your chances sort of thing & hope ya don't fry PCM?

Did u fix this (highlighted in red) & how?
That's where I'm going to mount the 3rd TB.

j/k It's just a block off from when I had both TBs on top.

I don't think reducing the throttle to pedal response is as big a deal as trying to increase it. I talked to a guy last week who was afraid to set 100% TP at 97% PP because has already experienced frying a PCM.

I checked the calibration on my 3-bar MAP sensor. Can't do anything with the gauge sensor. I think both were reading a little lower today - possible belt slip, but I don't see any dust. I was too busy hanging on and trying to keep straight to be looking at the gauge when I stomp on it, so I don't know yet if they are in synch or not.

Last edited by DrX; 06-24-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrX
j/k It's just a block off from when I had both TBs on top.

I don't think reducing the throttle to pedal response is as big a deal as trying to increase it. I talked to a guy last week who was afraid to set 100% TP at 97% PP because has already experienced frying a PCM.

I checked the calibration on my 3-bar MAP sensor. Can't do anything with the gauge sensor. I think both were reading a little lower today - possible belt slip, but I don't see any dust. I was too busy hanging on and trying to keep straight to be looking at the gauge when I stomp on it, so I don't know yet if they are in synch or not.
3rd TB, good one! :nunchuk1:
In reality, u probably have a special compartment in there to hold ice, the XChiller.

Acronym overload. I know TP = throttle position, but what's PP?

Gotta love that - too busy hangin on & keepin it straight to view gauge.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:24 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastnblu
3rd TB, good one! :nunchuk1:
In reality, u probably have a special compartment in there to hold ice, the XChiller.

Acronym overload. I know TP = throttle position, but what's PP?

Gotta love that - too busy hangin on & keepin it straight to view gauge.
PP = Pedal Position
Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting setup, but a 5 liter blower single may have been cheaper and easier, or even a twin turbo setup. and no parasitic loss
Old 07-09-2010, 10:27 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

The TB's on the 5L would probably sit right about where my dash vents are now.....LOL I recall looking at the 3.3L with a custom intake to fit my LS7 style ETP heads, but there would have been firewall clearance issues there as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
Interesting setup, but a 5 liter blower single may have been cheaper and easier, or even a twin turbo setup. and no parasitic loss
and not nearly as cool.

Quick Reply: Re-arranged my throttle bodies.......