FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Rear Mount Hot Side pipeing, help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
IMO... cut as much of the 3" off as you can and do it all in 2 1/2. Also, wrap EVERYTHING pre-turbo with header wrap. Mount the turbo as close to the motor as you can. Turbos NEED hot, high velocity, exhaust gas to make them work as efficiently as possible. Remember, I has a STS for 2 years before I went front mount.
Well that is probably true but I am not changing mine to find out. It costs to much....

Making boost and pretty fast does not seem to be an issue here.

I think if you run 3" back to the WYE and then a foot or two of single 2 1/2" you should get all the acceleration in velocity that you need without any restriction to that point. Wrapping the pipes will help to keep heat in as well. It is also in your choice of A/R for the turbine and where you want to see boost. The Allison may also be robbing boost a little with its choice of gear ratios not loading up the turbo fast enough and the fact the 8.1 has a lower red line and more internal mass to spin up. Also the fact the 8.1 is tuned for torque not for speed.

I hope it works for you this time.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mort
Well that is probably true but I am not changing mine to find out. It costs to much....

Making boost and pretty fast does not seem to be an issue here.

I think if you run 3" back to the WYE and then a foot or two of single 2 1/2" you should get all the acceleration in velocity that you need without any restriction to that point. Wrapping the pipes will help to keep heat in as well. It is also in your choice of A/R for the turbine and where you want to see boost. The Allison may also be robbing boost a little with its choice of gear ratios not loading up the turbo fast enough and the fact the 8.1 has a lower red line and more internal mass to spin up. Also the fact the 8.1 is tuned for torque not for speed.

I hope it works for you this time.
thanks, ME TOO!!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

I could get you a custom fm kit if you wanted
Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally i would do the 3" pipes off the manifolds then merge it into a single 3.5 pipe... Cheaper and probably the same flow...
Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by $nake Charmer
I could get you a custom fm kit if you wanted
from where??????????????
Old 10-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Ender06 if I had single rear mount I would have merged the 2 3" exhaust pipes as soon as the driver side crossed over to the pass side and ran only 1 single 3" pipe to rear turbo and ran .95 A/R on turbine. Need to minimize pipe volume on hot side to keep as much Heat (Heat is energy) as possible. On the cold side I would have run a single 2.5" to the Intercooler(less volume to pressurize the less lag). Use factory Exhaust manifolds and wrap as much as you can with wet heat wrap. Word of warning when you have the pipes welded make sure they are slip fit only before welding...welding slag of any sort = damage to Turbine Blades