FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

rear mount turbo setup. help critic my plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear mount turbo setup. help critic my plans

Alrite been really kickn the idea around instead of doing a cam swap. I wanna make some more decent power not a whole bunch to have to go crazy mods. I was lookn at a gt45 turbo with a intercooler setup. I dont know a whole bunch about fi and turbos so need ur guys help
Specs on turbo looking at

I only wanna go about 7-9 pounds of boost I know need to upgrade fuel and injectors

Now for the questions
How would I route my oil lines? I was thinkn geting a oil adaptor for pan and run my lines that way with something like this with a return oil pump

How would I maintain a certain pressure without over boosting would I need a boost controller?
How big of pump and injectors would be a safe bet to go with?

If im missing something let me know thanks fellas
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your spring in the wastegate will dictate how much boost you make normally, you then hook up a boost controller to apply extra pressure to the valve in the wastegate to increase boost.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool deal the comon stuff I wont know now just trying to figure the size to get enough volume of air
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

that 1.05 a/r is not going to spool until about 4k. had a ebay gt45 with a 1.05 on it so yes im being realistic. I now have a 76mm with a .68 a/r hotside and my entire exhaust is wrapped. and it still isn't optimal. Speaking from real world experience, save up and front mount it.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes front mount it, my first was a rear mount
Old 03-26-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pick up that KB manifold in the classifieds and get to work!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was in your shoes at one point and the best thing you could do is get an entry level kit from Trick or Kbracing. Both of these guys can build you a great front mount kit and give tech support to get you everything you need.

I had a rear mount on my Silverado years ago and now have one on my S10 but in my opinion the only reason to do a rear mount is if you don't have a space for it up front. Front mount turbo kits work much better and the pricing is about the same so I would always choose front mount.

If you do decide to go for a rear mount, the best bang for the buck turbo is a tc76. For $700 new you can't beat them. If you want quick spool and are going to keep it under 10psi I would go with a .68 or .82 exhaust housing.

Good luck
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice I do see tons of people saying go front mount. I geuss im stuborn and gonna do some mor pricing all around one of the big reasons is I alrady have the oil return pump oil lines the short pieces of hot piping and most of the cold side piping just need the turbo pretty much and intercooler
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

if you can save up some money or if you have the money, front mount all the way. instant spool. easy to install and looks great under the hood. power level is limitless.

turbo kit
injectors
fuel pump
tune...

then a trans, rear end. it never stops lol

and you're 4x4 to have a solid setup I would say 8k would get it done
Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

8K damn I geuss it does never stop. Im gonna do some more research as well try and decide in a way. If I had a extra truck to drive front mount would be a garuntee choice but since only got one vehicle to drive rear mount would be fun for couple years plus im trying to make sure get good turbo to reuse later for a front mount setup. Im mainly lookn for some good instant power at 40mph and up since hardly do any intown driving and never get to go to the track

Quick Reply: rear mount turbo setup. help critic my plans