FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

remote mount turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purevil on ls1tech put down over 700 rwhp with an STS kit. He has since swapped to another kit and a stroker motor. He changes his set up every year. He said it made more power than his previous procharger system.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
sts has had thier stuff out for over 4 years, he also has a completly built 4.8
my goal is 11's and I have a truck that weighs around 1000lbs more
assuming a vehicle weight of around 5800 lbs and an et of 7.5 in the 1/8 I will need between 600-700 rwhp I havent seen any dyno's of an sts kit putting out that much.

I worry about a large turbo on that kit no one seems to have done it.
Just because no one has done it, doesn't mean it cant be done How much motor are you using to spool it? Just your 5.3? Your going to need a good motor to support a big turbo like that. Just because you put a big turbo on, doesn't mean it will make big power, you have to have the complete package. The turbo is only one part of the system. A rear mount can make some good power with the right parts.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Just because no one has done it, doesn't mean it cant be done How much motor are you using to spool it? Just your 5.3? Your going to need a good motor to support a big turbo like that. Just because you put a big turbo on, doesn't mean it will make big power, you have to have the complete package. The turbo is only one part of the system. A rear mount can make some good power with the right parts.
with the right heads and cam I think a 76 would work well on a 5.3 Ive got a 3k stall anyhow to make up for some of the lag. It would put max power up around 5500 but thats ok with some good heads I think it could put out 600+ rw on boost around 10psi.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of power are you making now? Any timeslips? That will give a good idea of what can be added to your current setup.

F8L ran low 12's with his STS setup and a 5.3. He had 317 heads on it, but other than that I think it was a stock engine save for a cam (duh).

Front or rear mount you can't stick a ginormous turbo on there and expect to make big #'s everywhere. It'll be like a supra. Peaky powerband, won't et for **** and it'll mph like hell. Not a good idea in a 2.5ton truck.

I say a GT67 will get you damn close to 11's with 15psi and a 76 would get you there. A 6.0 and a either of the turbos could get you there too.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
What kind of power are you making now? Any timeslips? That will give a good idea of what can be added to your current setup.

F8L ran low 12's with his STS setup and a 5.3. He had 317 heads on it, but other than that I think it was a stock engine save for a cam (duh).

Front or rear mount you can't stick a ginormous turbo on there and expect to make big #'s everywhere. It'll be like a supra. Peaky powerband, won't et for **** and it'll mph like hell. Not a good idea in a 2.5ton truck.

I say a GT67 will get you damn close to 11's with 15psi and a 76 would get you there. A 6.0 and a either of the turbos could get you there too.
I run consistently from 8.8 to 9.0 1/8 NA with a heads and cam 5.3 rwhp from the calculators is around 350 to 400 rw figuring 5400 to 5600 weight. When I started this that was my goal NA now Im bored with it.
Realisticaly on a dyno Id epect it to be 320-350 stall soaks up alot.

When I do this Im gonna swap heads and cam thinking a set of the new darts would be nice when they start making em with a bigger CC. Reverse split cam 226/222 higher lsa low overlap .58x lift
12's have been done on a turbod 5.3 ext cab z71 so my goal would be mid 11's
If I were to go all out id build a large 4" bore motor with a short stroke titanium valve train and turn it about 7k+ with some huge heads, big cam and boost it would be rediculous but thats an all out race app and not something I want in my daily. I havent given up on the notion of a 402 I just dont like how long the stroke on those motors are for a higher boosted app thats asking for problems without a very stong bottom.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:38 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a t76 would be prety laggy on a 5.3 no matter where you put the turbo.

i disagree about something said above about a big turbo not geting a good ET but geting a good mph. a big turbo will not be as much fun to drive everyday but you will be able to get a good ET with it. it just might take a little bigger stall or 5-10sec's of brake stalling to get it to launch under some nice boost.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by parish8

i disagree about something said above about a big turbo not geting a good ET but geting a good mph. a big turbo will not be as much fun to drive everyday but you will be able to get a good ET with it. it just might take a little bigger stall or 5-10sec's of brake stalling to get it to launch under some nice boost.
I meant TOO big of a turbo for an engine. Like supra dorks that put +100mm turbos on thier 3.0L in order to achieve a ceartain hp goal. A T76 is big for a 5.3 but by no means TOO big. Either way you could just spray it to get it spooled.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

big numbers are there to be had. We built a mild 5.3 and made 650 on one dyno run. It was a punched out 8.8:1 5.3 with forged rods and pistons, LS6 cam, stock #317 heads with LS6 springs and a GT-67 running 15psi.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by parish8

I want something fun on the street not just track minded
didnt you say you had a 76 on your 408? How did it feel on the street?

Another thing where do you shift at? What sort of cam are you using?

trturbo:what do you mean when you say punched out?bored over? I noticed the compression is lower than stock, did you do that just with bigger CC heads? Transmission? 650-700rw is what i need to get where I want to go. Hows about a dyno sheet on the 5.3
Old 10-01-2005, 03:08 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a t76 on a 408 is NUTS, it spools instantly and makes insane amounts of TQ nearly instantly. if you want fun this is fun.

as far as shift points, when i was running lower boost like 10-14psi i wouild let it shift prety high, 6200-6400. once i turned the boost up higher the turbo started to run out of steam up high so i moved the shift points down. at 16-18psi i ended up shifting around 5500 because the turbo couldn't feed the motor up there.

a t76 is a prety small turbo for a 408 but if you are ok keeping it under 600hp and want fun and tons of low end tq then it is a great combo.

Quick Reply: remote mount turbo questions