FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

roots vs screw

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roots vs screw

Which would better suit me? I'm not quite sure at this point. I always read about the screw outperforming the roots. Then again that is usually at "peak" hp/tq measurements and unequal displcement blowers. Usually putting a larger screw against a smaller roots.

I do know a heavy vehicle, like a truck, needs plenty of tq down low to get it moving. The roots does a good job with providing low end torque. Am I correct in assuming an equally sized roots can provide more avaible tq down low when compared a screw compressor? How about top end? Will the screw be more efficient?

I've seen a couple unintentional real world tests with a KB and m112. All have been on L's and Harleys. What I mean by unintentional was that the user replaced the stock Eaton with a larger KB. Running the KB at low boost levels 8-10 produced higher hp, but the tq wasn't significantly higher than the m112. Even though the hp was higher, the results on the street/track were not significantly better. Of course once the boost was increased on the KB, it destroyed the Eaton. Which brings me back to the equal displacement question.

With equal displacements will the Eaton-

1. produce more peak tq
2. " more tq off idle
3. produce equal or less peak hp than the screw
Old 06-01-2006, 01:49 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rgcbshrty
Which would better suit me? I'm not quite sure at this point. I always read about the screw outperforming the roots. Then again that is usually at "peak" hp/tq measurements and unequal displcement blowers. Usually putting a larger screw against a smaller roots.

I do know a heavy vehicle, like a truck, needs plenty of tq down low to get it moving. The roots does a good job with providing low end torque. Am I correct in assuming an equally sized roots can provide more avaible tq down low when compared a screw compressor? How about top end? Will the screw be more efficient?

I've seen a couple unintentional real world tests with a KB and m112. All have been on L's and Harleys. What I mean by unintentional was that the user replaced the stock Eaton with a larger KB. Running the KB at low boost levels 8-10 produced higher hp, but the tq wasn't significantly higher than the m112. Even though the hp was higher, the results on the street/track were not significantly better. Of course once the boost was increased on the KB, it destroyed the Eaton. Which brings me back to the equal displacement question.

With equal displacements will the Eaton-

1. produce more peak tq
2. " more tq off idle
3. produce equal or less peak hp than the screw
Old 06-01-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Your graphs too small.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

From what I can make out, it looks like the smooth blue lines are Whipple and red is an Eaton. What size Eaton?

I like the results. The roots hangs with the screw and beats it by a large margin down low.

What size is the Whipple, a 2.3? What are the boost levels? If that Eaton is comparitavely sized, then I'm leaning towards the Eaton. I can't read the details. Your leaving me on the edge of my seat!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:06 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rgcbshrty
From what I can make out, it looks like the smooth blue lines are Whipple and red is an Eaton. What size Eaton?

I like the results. The roots hangs with the screw and beats it by a large margin down low.

What size is the Whipple, a 2.3? What are the boost levels? If that Eaton is comparitavely sized, then I'm leaning towards the Eaton. I can't read the details. Your leaving me on the edge of my seat!

That is the MP122 vs the 2.3 boost matched at 10 psi at 6500 engine rpm.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty much sold on the MP122. It's marginally outperformed from 3K up, but destroys the Whipple down low.

Power down low works for me. I'm a stoplight racer and don't do any top end racing. Off idle tq is what gets a heavy Lightning moving so well.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you buy a MP122 yet?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Them twin screw whipple losers dont know what they're missing.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

WHIPPLe or go HOME!!!!