FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Roush TVS 1900 New Install....No Boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What map sensor you using to measure manifold pressure?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluewheelz
One of the required mods to get this thing to work was to get a 2008 Silverado water pump. I picked the pump up at AutoZone and the f'n pulley came off of the water pump after about 5 miles of driving. They gave me another one a few days ago and the pulley fell off of that one too. I just ordered an OEM rig (for $25 more) and should get that tomorrow. Once I get the water pump issue resolved, back to the drawing board.
Others have had to TIG the pulley onto the shaft. Might be worth a try.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Subscribed.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bluewheelz
Also, it holds the 2 lbs til about 5k RPM, then it goes up to about 5 lbs. The stock supercharger pulley is slick as ice. Has anyone tried sandblasting a pulley to keep it from slipping? Obviously the belt would wear quicker, but it might be worth it.
I missed this post.

Originally Posted by kbracing96
What elevation are you at? A 1900 on a 6l not gonna make a lot of boost anyway with a 3.3 pulley. If your at altitude, that's going to cut it even more...

If your boost is going up at higher RPM, that sounds more like your motor is using the air it's pumping down low, not slipping and then as the motor becomes less efficient in the higher RPM, the air is backing up making more boost. Usually if you have a belt slip issue, it makes more boost down low and then fads up top, not the other way around.
Good lesson, professor.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Teching In

I got a REAL water pump from GM for $7 more than the POS at AutoZone and installed it yesterday, so that part of the deal is done. I drove about 30 miles today and didn't have any problems.

I wire tied the bypass valve closed this time (instead of simply unplugging the vacuum line). It woke the truck up big time. Problem is, it's still only programmed for 2 lbs, so my bro is going to do some programming tomorrow.

I'm ordering a PLX Wideband Air/Fuel gauge and Boost gauge to keep an eye on everything. Not sure what the pressure is running with the bypass wire tied, so we will install a temporary boost gauge while programming tomorrow.

So, if the problem is with the bypass valve, what are my options? Is there a way to adjust it? Don't know why it is opening at boost with the vacuum line off of it.

BTW, Elevation is around 500 ft (Plano, TX)
Old 05-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jdgoodcat
What map sensor you using to measure manifold pressure?
Using the factory 1 bar map. We were going to do a 2 bar map & tune, but the computer won't take that type of tune, so we were forced to do a MAF tune.

Last edited by bluewheelz; 05-15-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

there is a thread that has a place where you can buy a replacement diaphragm part of the valve. its maybe a stillen part? i forget i know mine was damaged in shipping and ill either fix or replace it
Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Try this:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ighlight=roush
Old 05-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Got a temporary boost gauge installed and made some passes. First gear starting at around 3 and climbing to 5-6. Second and third both stay around 3 lbs still. This is with the bypass wire tied shut. I put a bunch of belt dressing on the belt which made it sticky as hell. Where to go now?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by schino
there is a thread that has a place where you can buy a replacement diaphragm part of the valve. its maybe a stillen part? i forget i know mine was damaged in shipping and ill either fix or replace it
My brother has a lot of experience with forced induction cars, but specializes in Corvettes. He put a Mityvac on the actuator and was able to hold it in place, proving the diaphragm was intact. We also verified for a second time (using a dental mirror) that the bypass was in the fully closed position.

More general info:
He also capped the throttle body and the vacuum ports and pressurized the inlet to verify there were no leaks.

In his opinion, based on the results of the testing, the problem is:

1. belt slip
2. Looking at the VE table, the blower speed increases with RPM while the engines pumping efficiency climbs, peaking at ~4400RPM after which the pumping efficiency decreases with continuing blower speed increases. The 6.0 displacement combined with the above facts may explain the rise in boost up top and lack of boost down low. It could obviously be a combination of these issues.

I certainly wish it were easier to get a smaller pulley on this system. Any of you guys running an overdrive balancer? Doesn't seem like much room between the stock 7.5" and the water pump, but I know there's a little. Wondering if the 8" Innovators West overdrive balancer is an option.

I would love to know the boost curves of others running a 6.0 with this system or even a Magnuson TVS1900 style system.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Roush TVS 1900 New Install....No Boost