FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Running Straight Methanol ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Running Straight Methanol ???

I decided to try running some straight methanol ( methyl hydrate) to see what it did to fuelling and cooling. I also put in an Earl's inline 30 micron sintered brass filter. The barb ends on the filter were too large for fuel line so I used 1/4" silicone line. Does anyone know how silicone vacuum line holds up to methanol?

When I went to log I found that the results were not what I expected but I think that the methanol may have fubarred my pump. It seems that the pump comes on or gets power when I hit the required boost level but the low pressure warning light comes on at the same time. I have no blockage in the line that I can find. The IAT's are as high as I would see without meth and the O2s narrow bands reported lower than normal readings. Does anyone know what needs to be done to check and repair the pump?
Old 05-05-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

I just talked to STS and they recommended taking the inline filter out and see if that will solve the problem. It might be too restrictive for the pump to draw through. I will let you know how I make out. If anyone knows how to modify the pump so it will not be damaged running straight meth I would like to know that. Julio (Alky Control) says the pump as delivered from Sure Flow will not handle straight meth. Anyone know? Thanks gals and guys.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Is this the STS pump? I thought STS told me a while back I would need to drop in a little oil or something similar to lube. I've seen this on the internet, anything avail through Autozone or Advance? www.klotzlube.com/tech/KL-107.pdf
Old 05-05-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Some people say surflow pumps won't handle strait meth and some say they will. Julio sells some o-rings for $10 I think that will make sure you can run it, but strait meth will not kill the pump right out of the box. It will take time to deteriorate the o-rings. My guess is that your pump its having a hard time sucking thought the filter or it got an air pocket in it. Put the filter after the pump and you will probably be fine. You really only need the filter to keep the nozzle form getting plugged. The pump will pump a fair amount of dirt with out any harm.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run straight meth, with razors kit (alkycontrol). No problems at all, the problems I did have where my falt. Julio is the man. I am about to up grade to the 3 bar and extra nosel. I need more meth!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Launching!

Do you run any lube additives or is the pump and parts designed for the dryness? I would probably lube mine a little. Been thinking of running pure meth now that my fmic is installed. I don't need any water in there for extra cooling over the meth.

Last edited by hemifever; 05-20-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Thanks for the replies.

I am not sure if straight meth will hurt the pump or not but I called Julio and he was at the Buick Nationals so I will get the parts to retrofit the pump next week. I took the filter off and did a little testing. It turns out that the pump lost its prime and would not self prime. Once I got it primed it worked fine. The problem is that the STS reservoir ( 2.5 gal tank ) is too thin to put a fitting in so I ran the tubing in through the top. Once it is primed it works fine but it has to lift the meth a little to get it out of the tank. With the filter on as well it would not prime itself. I will be ordering a new tank from Julio as well if he has one and a 2 bar sensor but I am a little worried about doing the tuning for the 2 bar sensor. I will ask Julio if he can help with that but any ideas on 2 bar tuning would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No lube here, Julio didn't tell me anything about lube. It could be in the instructions thow.... Hum!
Old 05-20-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TURBO8
No lube here, Julio didn't tell me anything about lube. It could be in the instructions thow.... Hum!
Julio told me "NOT" to use any lube with striaght meth
Mark