FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

School me on chemicals.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on chemicals.

So, after alot of weighing pros and cons of different ways to chill off the hot Kenne Bell's I couldn't come up with anything I could make work. The lower intake plenum doesn't have enough room on the runners for direct meth injection. I can't raise the intercooler more out of the intake plenum because then the support for the Supercharger bracket wouldn't line up to the cylinder head. I'm going to run an 80/20 distilled water/dexcool mix this time around so I figure my liquid should theoretically freeze at 21*F.

The Kenne Bell system is also designed to run at only 15psi max pressure so an adapted killer chiller (using an extra R134A tank would over do the pressure and freeze my coolant regardless of what I do.)

So I started thinking about Liquid Oxygen. Cold, but adjustable. Can I introduce this stuff into my system at say an 18% blend? It's not pressurized to become cold, just needs oxygen, so I'd vent the cap of the reservoir. Or am I out there?

Also I have N2O that I'll spray both in the intake and intercooler....

I'm all out of room for an efficient ice box, so I figured someone smarter than me can chime in here.

Thanks.
-Robbie.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Launching!

in for results, meth isn't doing much for my set up :/
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the KB use a flat plate for the snout support? That would be easy to fabricate. Talk to Supersub about a phenolic spacer to stop the heat soak. It would also give you room for direct injection meth and/or nitrous.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Are you trying to cool the intercooler or the engine? Kind of confused.

Either way, no way in hell do you want liquid o2 in there, not to mention it would evaporate before you got out of the driveway in an engine bay.

You need a bigger intercooler, plain and simple. Or just run less boost...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Atomic
Are you trying to cool the intercooler or the engine? Kind of confused.

Either way, no way in hell do you want liquid o2 in there, not to mention it would evaporate before you got out of the driveway in an engine bay.

You need a bigger intercooler, plain and simple. Or just run less boost...
Whoops. Yes sir, Intake Air Temp. The engine is piddling around 175-180 with a 160 thermo.

I have a HUGE heat exchanger! And I can't fit a bigger one into the KB manifold.

The new setup now, I have no idea what the IAT's are going to be like, but I'm sure the colder the better.

I'm looking for whatever chemical I can introduce into the fluid to make it cold. There has to be something that when molecules start to move it condenses and gets cold. Kind of like R134A refrigerant, but without the need for compression. Or would that be the way to go? Without a compressor would it reach 30* temps or so just by motion? Will it react with antifreeze/water? What about liquid propane?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lucille
Does the KB use a flat plate for the snout support? That would be easy to fabricate. Talk to Supersub about a phenolic spacer to stop the heat soak. It would also give you room for direct injection meth and/or nitrous.
Mine is the TurnKey 3.6 Camaro bracket. No belt slip, but No bueno for that spacer or else I'd have one!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

You need to look up how a refrigeration cycle works, the r134a doesn't magically get cold, and by definition as soon as you add energy (movement) to the fluid it will heat up.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

I'm confused. The heat exchanger goes in front of the radiator and the intercooler would be in the lower manifold (at least in Maggie world). The phenolic spacer would allow for either a larger intercooler and/or spray bars for meth and nitrous. A secondary heat exchanger could be added behind the lower valance or anywhere with airflow or power for fans.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

You could always add a good Mezerie pump and a remote large reservoir/icebox (in the bed) if needed.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I'd look into active intercooling using the AC. Majority of that leftover energy (or lack of) gets lost to atmosphere...you could just trap it in the water from an A2W intercooler and supercool your IATs. Without mixing refrigerant into the air

Quick Reply: School me on chemicals.