FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Seafoam use and Turbo Compatability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam use and Turbo Compatability?

I did the seafoam thing for my intake before the turbo install, and want to do it again as soon as I get my BOV and catch can set up completed.
Is it ok to run this stuff through a turbo system? What kind of issues could it cause if any?
Has anyone ever put this stuf in their gas tanks and oil too?
I want to rid my engine of all sludge, and condensatiion for the upcomming mods, and spring track season opening.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used seafoam when restoring 20 year old engines that have been sitting awhile. It's like magic, imo.

I can't see how it would hurt anything in the turbo (the seals in the turbo are like little piston rings -- no rubber involved).

There's a certain logic that says seafoaming can be a bad thing -- clears out the gunk that has been sealing your motor instead of the rubber and you get a million leaks. I don't subscribe to this argument but have heard it voiced a bit. IMO, fix the damn leaks lol.

On the other hand, I don't think you really *need* to seafoam your motor anyway, especially if you just did it a little while ago...
Old 02-25-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It raises hell with spark plugs depending on how gummed up your motor is. If you have some colder heat range or specialty sparkers in there I might think about a temp swap while purging.
The oil leak thing happened to me the first time I ever tried to de-gunk an engine. It did have over 100K hard miles but the oil stayed so much cleaner between changes after that. Small price to pay IMHO than a few drips from the rear main on the driveway. BTW I think the newer silicon impregnated gaskets are worlds better than the stuff they used in the 70's and 80's, last much longer and are reusable in most cases.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
I've used seafoam when restoring 20 year old engines that have been sitting awhile. It's like magic, imo.

I can't see how it would hurt anything in the turbo (the seals in the turbo are like little piston rings -- no rubber involved).

There's a certain logic that says seafoaming can be a bad thing -- clears out the gunk that has been sealing your motor instead of the rubber and you get a million leaks. I don't subscribe to this argument but have heard it voiced a bit. IMO, fix the damn leaks lol.

On the other hand, I don't think you really *need* to seafoam your motor anyway, especially if you just did it a little while ago...
The reason I want to do it again is that I've been having PCV issues and oil/condensation gunk come out the dipstick and in the fill cap. I know there is oil in my intake maifold after looking in there about a month ago when I had my STS intake tubes off.
I did not get any leaks last time I did it. My engine has about 65k on it now, maybe a little less. The only way I could see an engine leaking would be if it was severly neglected for years.
Been running Mobil1 in this engine since 4k and it always comes out fairly clean after 3-4k mile changes, and I don't burn hardly any oil at all.
She is still tight for now.

KTMrider, I hear you on the plug thing.
I plan on doing a plug swap to my oldies right before the seafoam, and an oil change with a new filter for a day and new oil and filter the next day to make sure all the crud has been thouroughly washed out.
I'm kinda **** about **** I guess.
I'll just use some Mobil regular non-synthetic oil for the rinsing day.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't done my truck, but I have done my Buicks with it. Never put it in the turbo, I disconnected the ic up pipe and put it directly in the throttle body and did my best to keep it running. I don't think your turbo is going to be dirty unless you have a bad seal, then rebuild it...
Old 02-25-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If you suck it thought the vacuum line, I would run the motor really easily for a while to make sure any "loose" stuff it washes off will pass thought the turbo at low speeds. If you run it hard right after doing it, you may get some nicks in the turbine from the high impeller speeds and the junk.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kbracing96
If you suck it thought the vacuum line, I would run the motor really easily for a while to make sure any "loose" stuff it washes off will pass thought the turbo at low speeds. If you run it hard right after doing it, you may get some nicks in the turbine from the high impeller speeds and the junk.
Good advise. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry, I didn't pay attention, I just saw that you were running the STS system.