FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Smoking a 6,000 tranny sucks..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wish we did, i'm going to rebuild this one 1 last time, then it's yank out the ecu, and get a standalone computer along with a 4L80e

wish i wouldve done this to begin with but once i yank my ecu thier is no going back this truck will be pretty much useless cept for racing..
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, there is a huge markup in transmission rebuilds, that's why we are all rich and live in million dollar houses.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by built408
Yes, there is a huge markup in transmission rebuilds, that's why we are all rich and live in million dollar houses.
You bastards!!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toomnymods
imo thier is soo much markup in tranny rebuilds, who the hell makes 6k in a day??

it's really stupid what the world has come to accept as the norm as far as pricing on certian things are..
Too bad you didn't live in phoenix i would hook you with guy that build trans for good prices.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Good thing the GM guys have a junkyard transmission that can handle 600+ rwhp right out of the box
mine started slipping bad when we ran my sub with no restrictor plate, set to shift at 5300 and I looked down and saw about 5800

of course that was about 35K miles ago and its still been towing over capacity in the interim...
Old 01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
12 Second Truck Club

well I just ordered the Alto master rebuild kit Part Number is :174903PWR
This comes with the Red Eagle coated Input / Direct high performance clutches, Koleen steels, all gaskets, mesh filters, o-rings, the whole shabang..

Driving down to UpRev today to pick up my transmission and will be hauling it back with me to get rebuilt at the Arlington AAMCO..

Cost of the master rebuild kit was only $475.00 shipped to my door
Cost of the rebuild from AAMCO is only $500 since I'm supplying the parts

Will still have all the IPT cryogenically treated and heat treated hard parts unless some are damaged which I highly doubt..

Truck should be back together and driving hopefully by next weekend..
Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds good man, hope u dont hit any snags along the way..
Old 01-15-2010, 03:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

has anyone else here used the Red Eagle clutches what was ur experience with them??
Old 01-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Launching!

hey. all i can say with aamco is good luck. read the warranty stuff. buddy went to a double a (beep beep) mco and since we took the trans out. they did the work. warrantyd the trans build for a year but classified it as bench warranty. meaning only the warranty is good for that store. and good only for the rebuild. my bud installed it and took it to the shop and the guy looked over every detail. said it was installed right. nothing wrong. guess what. 2 months later. his pump cracks. and goes to hell. calls shop up. they say well we didnt install it for you so we cant cover warranty since you must have installed it wrong. and i forgot. before the pump went out. every week he went back for a month because the thing would leak. they goofed on some things. so then. they say ok we will cover the pump. but you take it out. well he didnt want to since it was not his fault. the shop didnt want to eat the labor so it was either take it out or pay the 500 for them to take it out. well. he ate the bill. paid the money. since he wanted the warranty. so they did the work, bla bla bla. then we go out driving. verter wont let go. as in it locked up. wont let go. we stall. didnt want to start. we are in the middle of an intersection. in the town of nowhere. i mean. 2 cops drove by without flinching. anyhoo... turns out there was tons of metal shavings on the solenoids and it jammed. they fixed that too since they didnt flush the cooler. bro good luck. i know its better than what you go now. my trans that i built in class worked on the dyno. but. it was one class... but i wanted to take home that th400. hated that chrysler transaxle.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

yea i know aamco is definatly hit and miss, have heard horror stories but screw these performance shops charging 3-4k in labor to do a 10 hr job.. im willing to take a chance and roll the dice so to speak. worst comes to worse i pissed away 1k to try to get them to rebuild it, better than wasting nother 2-3k with ipt and have them use the same shitty *** clutch packs they used before, even the aamco guy claimed the quality of them was oem or slightly better ( definatly not high performance clutches)
the red eagles ones i got now should definatly hold the power better than the ones i had.

The input clutches on my trans where totally toasted, the rest of the clutches still looked fine though..

here is what arrived today:
for some reason the bastids didnt send me the steels i got the overhaul kit which includes all the packings, o-rings, gaskets, etc.. also recieved all the red eagle clutches and like 20 or so other misc clutchs of 2-3 diffrent sizes nuthing is labled.. no telling what is what really here are some pics

the band also isn't included in this kit and my band and input clutches are what are majorly fooked on my trans i went and looked at it today, the direct clutches look fine but the inputs are cooked horribly

luckily thier is a guy local who can totally rebuild my converter. He is going to cut it back open, clean it out, replace any and all wearable parts and weld it back together for 85.00 cant beat that..
with the amount of clutch and metal in my fluid it'd be stupid to put this converter back into my rebuilt trans without cleaning it out

just counted them thier are 8 red eagle inputs and 8 red eagle direct clutches..
the rest of the clutches are not red eagle coated but are better composition than stock he said..

they are for :
K-2 Hi low rev ----------------------------- 5 clutches
B1 Reverse brake SUV, Truck -------------- 7 clutches
B3 Forward--------------------------------- 5 clutches
B2 Low coast ------------------------------ 4 clutches

hope this helps, still very ticked they didnt send me my kolene steels, pay almost 500 bucks for something and they leave out half of my freaking rebuild kit

Quick Reply: Smoking a 6,000 tranny sucks..