FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Smoking a 6,000 tranny sucks..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn that sux... the guy that does mine here is very good building built transmissions, and i really doubt that he is expensive especially if you take him the tranny and parts... let me know if you decide to change your mind and bring it down here...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkru617
The people who built it wont rebuild it for free? I thought most built trannys came with a yr warranty and if you are just a little over they should be lenient especially since you spent 6k already
It depends on builder. On my 2nd "built" tranny from same guy in my '89 C1500, input shaft snapped in 1/2 just 1 wk. shy of a yr. As said, was the 2nd time & it had some stronger parts, but never upgraded input shaft. I said, free rebuild right? His reply, "No", cause input was a hard part.

Originally Posted by Toomnymods
place that built my tranny i would never let touch my truck again, they lied to me countless times over the phone, still havent sent me back my core converter or refunded me for it which is over 900 bucks.. when i first called them to ask question about what was happening the manager recognized my voice and just hung up on me...
imo their is soo much markup in tranny rebuilds, who the hell makes 6k in a day??

it's really stupid what the world has come to accept as the norm as far as pricing on certain things are..
I don't think the norm on a tranny rebuild is $6K. Only tranny I know that costs that much is that 6X 6 spd. from TCI. But that includes a TCU, trans, no core, converting it into a 6spd. auto, yada yada. I forgot what else.

And guess what they base it on, not a 6L80E or the new GM 6A's, but the 4L80E.

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I realize you're trans isn't a GM, but I refuse to pay to prices these companies are asking for these supposed built transmissions that just keep on breaking. I don't care what they say, they are not built to the same standards as OEM units that have to endure a 100,000 mile warranty. Good thing the GM guys have a junkyard transmission that can handle 600+ rwhp right out of the box
When a person isn't stock, that risk is there.

wish we did, i'm going to rebuild this one 1 last time, then it's yank out the ecu, and get a standalone computer along with a 4L80e

wish i wouldve done this to begin with but once i yank my ecu their is no going back this truck will be pretty much useless cept for racing..
I didn't even know u could get a 4L80E to go in your truck.

I only know U.S. trucks, but who makes the standalone computer? Why is truck useless except for racing at that point?

I gotta tell ya, I love the U.S. & U.S. products. But if I had to go outside of that, from what I've seen on PT, you have built 1 of the baddest, if not baddest import trucks I've seen.
I commend u for that & have seen u dump serious $ into it. I remember when u did cam changes. I thought ****, for cams? But that thing turned into a beast.
If someone said point a nasty non U.S. truck, I'd point out yours. I'd look no further. Good luck!

Call the co. u got kit from & get your Kolene steels. You paid for em, right?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

my freshly built 80e that is coming out of my truck right now has all red altos and kolene steels in it...too bad it didnt have a 2nd gear so i could really test out the alto's...i will never go to a local to rebuild a tranny again...wait ..didnt i say that last time when i went thru 5 built 65e's...lol

yea i know aamco is definatly hit and miss, have heard horror stories but screw these performance shops charging 3-4k in labor to do a 10 hr job.. im willing to take a chance and roll the dice so to speak. worst comes to worse i pissed away 1k to try to get them to rebuild it, better than wasting nother 2-3k with ipt and have them use the same shitty *** clutch packs they used before, even the aamco guy claimed the quality of them was oem or slightly better ( definatly not high performance clutches)
the red eagles ones i got now should definatly hold the power better than the ones i had.

The input clutches on my trans where totally toasted, the rest of the clutches still looked fine though..

here is what arrived today:
for some reason the bastids didnt send me the steels i got the overhaul kit which includes all the packings, o-rings, gaskets, etc.. also recieved all the red eagle clutches and like 20 or so other misc clutchs of 2-3 diffrent sizes nuthing is labled.. no telling what is what really here are some pics

the band also isn't included in this kit and my band and input clutches are what are majorly fooked on my trans i went and looked at it today, the direct clutches look fine but the inputs are cooked horribly

luckily thier is a guy local who can totally rebuild my converter. He is going to cut it back open, clean it out, replace any and all wearable parts and weld it back together for 85.00 cant beat that..
with the amount of clutch and metal in my fluid it'd be stupid to put this converter back into my rebuilt trans without cleaning it out

just counted them thier are 8 red eagle inputs and 8 red eagle direct clutches..
the rest of the clutches are not red eagle coated but are better composition than stock he said..

they are for :
K-2 Hi low rev ----------------------------- 5 clutches
B1 Reverse brake SUV, Truck -------------- 7 clutches
B3 Forward--------------------------------- 5 clutches
B2 Low coast ------------------------------ 4 clutches

hope this helps, still very ticked they didnt send me my kolene steels, pay almost 500 bucks for something and they leave out half of my freaking rebuild kit
Old 01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i called alto and they are shipping everything some bonehead left out of my master rebuild kit for free.. they are shipping me a:
filter, koleen steels, and a band clutch

also took my converter to a local hot rod shop that specializes in racing converters.. for 135.00 he is cutting it open, flushing the gunk / metal out of it, puting all new hardware into it and also tig welding some of the fins to make them more stabilized, he said it'd help it hold more hp in the long run since i plan to build the motor later this year and up the boost to 14lbs, then i get to rebuild the trans all over again, hahaha well i hope i dont, hopefully it'll hold 700hp after this
Old 01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by fastnblu

I didn't even know u could get a 4L80E to go in your truck.

I only know U.S. trucks, but who makes the standalone computer? Why is truck useless except for racing at that point?

I gotta tell ya, I love the U.S. & U.S. products. But if I had to go outside of that, from what I've seen on PT, you have built 1 of the baddest, if not baddest import trucks I've seen.
I commend u for that & have seen u dump serious $ into it. I remember when u did cam changes. I thought ****, for cams? But that thing turned into a beast.
If someone said point a nasty non U.S. truck, I'd point out yours. I'd look no further. Good luck!

Call the co. u got kit from & get your Kolene steels. You paid for em, right?
thier is a company in cali that makes some adapter plate to put any chevy trans into a titan, thanks to the CORR offroad racing titan lotta high performance companies started building 1 off parts for that and they trickle down to us.. that CORR titan had a fully built menard motor pushing over 750hp and had a turbo 400 trans in it..

I really havent investigated just what standalone i'd need but im figuring if i wanna do it right i might as well get a Motek which i think is about 5k.. I dunno if any gauges would work in my truck, i know simple things like cruise control wouldnt work, i dont even know if my trans would shift with a after market computer? would i have to paddle shift it? already bought a daily driver so really no use in driving it daily risking some bonehead crashing into me..
So far i've got over 25k dumped into it, and still nother 15k more to go hopefully it'll make it's way into the 10's with a built motor, i'm hoping it'll do high 11's when the trans gets put back into it, did 12.92@104mph last year all on the motor so dropping 1 sec and adding 120-130hp is accomplishable i figure