FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

So 10psi is max on a stock engine...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
No worries, I'm just trying to play the devil's advocate here, especially with all the broken stock engines around here lately.

What are your IAT's on a 100* day that allow 25* of timing at WOT with 13psi? What octane gas do you run? Not only is 25* of timing without meth on pump gas at 13psi not conservative, but it's almost impossible unless you have a crazy efficient intercooler. I don't know much about vortech blowers, but no compressor is that efficent. I'm not calling you out I'm just trying to figure out how. Are the cc's coated with some sort of ceramic coating to prevent detonation?

Go back and read my posting...before last weekend, I did not have an intercooler... I ran 2 summers in Florida weather running 23-25* of timing on 93 octane with a Snow Meth kit. My documented 0-60 mph time is in the high 4/low 5 second range in a 6000# 4WD. The only ceramic on my truck is the coating on my Pacesetter's.

Hehe.... slow down and breathe... come on over to the Avalanche site and we will teach you how to run boost on a stock 5.3L bottom... There is no magic and almost all of our members do it...

Edit:.... If you have HP Tuners I can show you a ton of logs showing WOT runs with said timing on pump gas in 100* Florida Sunshine... a lot of them are posted over in the CAFNA FI threads...

Edit #2.... would you believe a non-intercooled blower can actually run 27* timing at WOT with 114 octane? at 13 psi? and survive?
Hehe....have to qualify that... running Snow meth kit with 625ml nozzle at 110 psi....

Last edited by FlaBouy; 05-18-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Post 'em up.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Post 'em up.

They are...you just have to go get them....

Of the top 8 fastest Avalanches with 5.3L...7 are 10 psi or above and 5 of those running at least a 60 shot of N2O on top of it... all on stock bottoms and all running FI for at least 15 months..........

The eighth is Allen Nelson. He is only running 6 psi right now on his new Av but is turning a 13.01 quarter mile on 27-28* timing in a 6000# truck...with a stock bottom.... He just indicated this week is is turning up the boost on that turbo of his.........

Here is a JPG of 22* non-intercooled timing with a snow meth kit in 80* Florida Sunshine.... Notice the 186.31 kPA reading on the 2 BAR MAP.......

This was before I went to a 2 BAR SD OS because I am way beyond what the stock MAF can read... notice the MAF is pegged at 63.55 lb/min... that is it's upper limit....
Attached Thumbnails So 10psi is max on a stock engine...-hpt_sml.jpg  
Old 05-18-2007, 01:16 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see both points and agree with both points. I think running 10+ psi on the street on stock 5.3 is possible and safe however I think you really have to know engines and understand tunning very well before doing this. Most people doing this check their logs frequently and adjust as needed. I think a disclaimer is necessary so people don't think they can just crank their boost up to 15 psi and go run about the streets without checking their logs.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I see both points and agree with both points. I think running 10+ psi on the street on stock 5.3 is possible and safe however I think you really have to know engines and understand tunning very well before doing this. Most people doing this check their logs frequently and adjust as needed. I think a disclaimer is necessary so people don't think they can just crank their boost up to 15 psi and go run about the streets without checking their logs.

Well said....
Old 05-18-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FlaBouy
Notice the 186.31 kPA reading on the 2 BAR MAP.......

This was before I went to a 2 BAR SD OS
I can't read anything on that log. It appears the resolution is too low, but how do you read 186kPa without a 2 bar OS.

I can believe that an engine would live with 27* timing with 13psi and 114 octane, but we're talking pee water 91-93 octane pump gas.

Av 5.3's must be a lot stronger than the ones that get into our trucks. Why don't all these 13+psi Av's running around daily, with +500rwhp come share the knowledge over here and help us out. That's what this forum is all about, share the knowledge. I'm sure most of those trucks still run 60E's too, so maybe they can tell us how to get a 60E to live behind a 6000lb truck with over 500rwhp.
I'm glad you Av guys can boost 5.3's up to and over 13psi all day long (even with N20), but around here most of us aren't that lucky.

I guess if you spray a ton of meth, luck will be your lady.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i might have missed it but i didn't see where anyone said it was easy to run high boost on a stock motor. just that if it is done corectly it will live a long life.

high boost to me means expensive fuel, moderate timing(depending on the fuel) and keeping it on the rich side. paying attention to those 3 things sounds easy enough but if you screw up just one time and are running high boost it will break a piston near instantly. i have seen a couple of pro's blow up their own car within just a few days of slaping a turbo on. everytime it was blamed on some other condition but that just seems unlikely to me. slap on a turbo on a motor running fine and in 2 days it has low compresion on number 7 . i think the awsume power of boost just gets to some people and they get boost happy. it takes a little while watching things and working into the boost to be sure things are ok and having the self control to stay out of it when it pulls soo hard is not easy.

as far as high timing, on trackteck114 it did seem to like more timing. we ran my 408 all the way up to 22deg and it gained power every step with that fuel but this 5.3 on rocketbrand 118 didn't gain much power going from 16-18deg so we left it at 16deg. the rocket brand chemist told me we wouldn't need any more fuel or more timing with their 118 but i didn't really belive him till we tried it on the dyno.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Launching!

I can't read anything on that log. It appears the resolution is too low, but how do you read 186kPa without a 2 bar OS.

I can believe that an engine would live with 27* timing with 13psi and 114 octane, but we're talking pee water 91-93 octane pump gas.

Av 5.3's must be a lot stronger than the ones that get into our trucks. Why don't all these 13+psi Av's running around daily, with +500rwhp come share the knowledge over here and help us out. That's what this forum is all about, share the knowledge. I'm sure most of those trucks still run 60E's too, so maybe they can tell us how to get a 60E to live behind a 6000lb truck with over 500rwhp.
I'm glad you Av guys can boost 5.3's up to and over 13psi all day long (even with N20), but around here most of us aren't that lucky.

I guess if you spray a ton of meth, luck will be your lady.
Dude you just are not gonna let up are ya....

I will say this slower for ya....I don't follow this forum that closely so I am not sure what you guys are doing over here. If you want to know what we are doing I suggest you come to our house.... not vice versa... You made a statement that I did not agree with in premise... I have tried to explain to the best of my ability why I disagree, but I will not get drug into a sarcastic fuss fest because you can't seem to grasp what some of us are doing... I do not want this to go south so I will leave this conversation where it sits. I will not however buy into your stated opinion that you cannot build a daily driver that has more than 10 PSI..... I submit that it is not the 5.3L design that limits you to 10 psi... Too many people have proven that logic wrong.... and like Parrish said, no one said it was easy or cheap... Most of us running this level are diligent with our tunes and we know exactly what the truck wants and needs because we tune our own...we do not rely on others to do it for us.....So for you it seems like luck... but for a tuner, luck has little to do with it... and I might suggest that one tends to learn more when they don't have a predisposed opinion that they know everything.

The timeslips do not lie.... neither do the logs.... if you cannot comprehend that fact then the issue is yours, not ours....

Give me your email and I will send you a log and a jpeg that even you cannot argue against.........

Edit: sorry I didn't answer your question about the 186 kPA... guess you missed the part where I run a 2 BAR OS with HP Tuners and prior to that I helped my engine survive by inputting a 2 BAR MAP sensor into the MPVII interface as a analog input in tandem with the stock MAP sensor to check scale and linearity of the sensor prior to installing the 2 BAR OS. But that is tuning talk... I expect that may not make sense to ya... and yes, our rear view mirrors are full of broken G80's and 60E's just like everyone else... that is not in question here... just your statement about the 10 psi threshold....

Last edited by FlaBouy; 05-18-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FLABOUY,

Aren't you in Pensacola? I want to see your setup. Maybe even a ride
Old 05-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Teching In

This is actually my first post here. I have to say that I am going to back Flabuoy on this one about our Avalanches. I am the crazy snow plow guy that he spoke of. I am running 10 sometimes 10.5 psi on a daily driven work truck with 95,000 miles on it. When I made my 13.58 run I was short on timing and using a 40 shot of nitrous with no meth. It was a very safe tune, but none the less, I have had no issues with the engine(wish that could be said for the tranny and diff). No more tranny issues since I rebuilt it BTW.

I do understand that there are issues to be concerned with such as the old cyl#7. But with a good tune or a good tuner it can be made safe. I don't do my own tuning YET, but Mike at J and M Motorsports has done a great job at keeping my truck safe and running well. We have since added more timing... 19*, methanol, and 75 shot of nitrous. I have driven from CT to Nashville and back without any issues. I havent had it at the track yet, but I launch it hard on a daily basis and still no issues. I also got to drive KYBob's Avalanche in Nashville and his runs great as well.

Let me preface all of my prior statements by saying that: I agree the 5.3 can have problems being boosted and I wouldn't try 13 psi on my high mileage engine. I'm just not that brave Thanks for letting me join in on the debate.

Last edited by trannyman; 05-19-2007 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply: So 10psi is max on a stock engine...