FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

So 10psi is max on a stock engine...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:29 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
if your compresor is large enough to turn it up and you are tuning to the edge of knock i bet you would make more power with more boost and less timing.
The 67 should make 14-16 or so psi on the 346 before it is running outside of its happy spot. Once i get a trans in it that will take the power I will fug around with the boost a bit. The motor is solid, the trans is the weak link now.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:55 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know GN guys who run 0* of timing... and claim to run 32psi

I think its all about method -- Jim goes after this in a very methodical way. It's no surprise to me he finds the sweet spots, he puts in the time to get there safe and I think he understands how to balance the detonation equation very well: heat, psi, octane and timing.

I've always heard the old adage: more boost is better than more timing. I've found that to be pretty valid, unless of course, more boost = boom. How's that for a disclaimer
Old 05-26-2007, 08:09 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Hhm. I was learned power is made in this order Boost>Timing>Compression
Old 05-26-2007, 09:22 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
most people agree with that but the question for me is how far can you take it to get the max power(tuning to the limit of the fuel)?

i dont see 18deg as all that high of timing. still prety moderate. it's the guys that are claiming to run 25+deg that i am prety sure could be making more power if they reduced the timing and uped the boost.

we dont have knock sensors on the fairmont so there isn't a good way to tune to the edge of knock. we are just playing it on the safe side by running good fuel, moderate timing and as much boost as we want because that has proven to be a safe way to go about things.

if your running good fuel then giving up timing to run more boost isn't really the way we go about it. we just look at how the motor likes the timing and let that decide where we are going to run it. less than 5hp per deg is not worth it. if we got 10hp/deg on the fairmont we would be running more timing than we are but it just didn't like it so why run it.

the truck with tt118 fuel liked the timing. every time we added 2deg the graph got smoother and power went up
Old 05-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by trever1t

There is always a point where you can't add more boost -- either from the compressor restrictions, internal parts, cylinder pressure, dynamic compression, whatever. At that point, timing comes into the equation if you're going for max power.

Same thing for you S/C guys and getting the most out of your pulley. Us turbo freaks can usually turn a **** to get more boost and can fine tune it by fractions of a psi. We can go right up to the edge with boost and then play with timing and fuel to try to get more out of it.

Those numbers in my sig came from a run where I set the spark plug wires on fire and lifted a 5300rpm. I had 16* of timing in it, but there were problems with the mechanics -- the compressor was too small to go much higher on the boost, and I was building too much pressure and heat in the exhaust side (obviously since I set stuff on fire hehe). No detonation though
Old 05-26-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
There is always a point where you can't add more boost -- either from the compressor restrictions, internal parts, cylinder pressure, dynamic compression, whatever. At that point, timing comes into the equation if you're going for max power.

Same thing for you S/C guys and getting the most out of your pulley. Us turbo freaks can usually turn a **** to get more boost and can fine tune it by fractions of a psi. We can go right up to the edge with boost and then play with timing and fuel to try to get more out of it.

Those numbers in my sig came from a run where I set the spark plug wires on fire and lifted a 5300rpm. I had 16* of timing in it, but there were problems with the mechanics -- the compressor was too small to go much higher on the boost, and I was building too much pressure and heat in the exhaust side (obviously since I set stuff on fire hehe). No detonation though

HOW LONG TILL THOSE JACKSTANDS WILL BE RUNNING ANYWAYS?
Old 05-26-2007, 08:31 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
HOW LONG TILL THOSE JACKSTANDS WILL BE RUNNING ANYWAYS?

I will say this, I've been through 2.5 40lb bottles of 25/75 this week