FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Stock STS turbo - max boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock STS turbo - max boost?

Guys, looking at getting a STS in the near furture for my daily driver. I'd like to get 5-8 psi. Will the stock turbo (GT60 right?) allow me to get that for my "little 4.8 that can"? What do I need to get above the 5psi that the stock system gives me, just the boost controller?

Thanks guys, just starting to try and understand the finite details of this system.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by agreif
Guys, looking at getting a STS in the near furture for my daily driver. I'd like to get 5-8 psi. Will the stock turbo (GT60 right?) allow me to get that for my "little 4.8 that can"? What do I need to get above the 5psi that the stock system gives me, just the boost controller?

Thanks guys, just starting to try and understand the finite details of this system.
I at one time ran 10 psi no problem with the T-60-1 turbo, this kit will wake up your 4.8! but you need bigger injectors and an intercooler for best results! Yes, you do a boost controller to raise the boost.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

That turbo will run way more than your stock motor could handle. IMO, about 8-9psi with fuel upgrades and intercooler or meth and that is about your limit on the stock motor.
If you really want the supporting mods to run the turbo and make it safe, you need:
injectors, pump, intercooler, valve springs, and a GOOD tune.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by trtturbo
That turbo will run way more than your stock motor could handle. IMO, about 8-9psi with fuel upgrades and intercooler or meth and that is about your limit on the stock motor.
If you really want the supporting mods to run the turbo and make it safe, you need:
injectors, pump, intercooler, valve springs, and a GOOD tune.
/\ What he said. I'm running everything he mentions, and 10psi in high boost (7psi in low) Runs great and has been for over a year and a half, 25,000+ miles.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:28 AM
Launching!

KB do you have any vids of your truck? just curious if the 4.8 sounds and performs much different than the 5.3 video's ive seen
Old 08-25-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trtturbo
That's exactly what I was thinking. Over 8 and I would start to worry about reliability. Planned on going with the intercooler as well to get the most out of it. Ok, so I should be ok to get 8PSI with a:
  • stock GT60 STS kit
  • an upgraded boost controller (0-10)
  • 42 lb injectors (where are the stockers maxed out, 5psi?)
  • aux fuel pump
  • planned on a cam too(springs included). I was thinking the comp 212/218 558/563 before I really started thinking about a turbo

Missing anything?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cpelton
KB do you have any vids of your truck? just curious if the 4.8 sounds and performs much different than the 5.3 video's ive seen
No vids . It sounds great and you can ask Thunder550 how it runs . We have the same truck only he had a radixed 5.3 at the time. Was a little quicker then him the one night we went to the track. To be fair though, his intercool pump wasn't working
Old 08-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Banned

yea even at 5psi stock injectors are not enough the dc are maxed out make sure to get a good tune!!! kbracing on you high boost setting u run meth right? and on low (7psi) you dont? (am getting the current set up that you have) and when u tuned for 10psi u ran it with meth? does that mean on the low setting ur running on the same tune? i have a stock 5.3 t60-1 sts turbo, #43 injectors, 255lph pump, b/c,meth, and fmic do i need a bov? or what else do i need??
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ogkevin13
yea even at 5psi stock injectors are not enough the dc are maxed out make sure to get a good tune!!! kbracing on you high boost setting u run meth right? and on low (7psi) you dont? (am getting the current set up that you have) and when u tuned for 10psi u ran it with meth? does that mean on the low setting ur running on the same tune? i have a stock 5.3 t60-1 sts turbo, #43 injectors, 255lph pump, b/c,meth, and fmic do i need a bov? or what else do i need??
I have my meth setup to start coming on at about 3 psi and its full in at about 9 psi (its a Devils Own progressive setup). I tune around that. It works really well. The A/F is very stable in both low and high boost, and no knock anywhere.

You don't "need" a BOV, I have a cheap *** bosch bypass valve that I use as a blow off. It works pretty well. In stead of getting 7 or 8 woop, woops when I let out of the throttle, I get 1 or 2 and a posssshh.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

The way I see it is; There ain't no such thing as a 0-10lb boost controller.

The way the STS kit base kit works, it has a wastegate. The wastegate has a spring that will depend how much boost you make without a boost controller.

So let's say the spring is a 5lb spring.

The wg will only allow the turbo to make 5lbs of boost before exiting some of the exhaust and stopping the boost at 5lbs.

The wg has a vac/boost fitting in the front of its diaphram that allows its valve to control the exhaust flow. That's how it knows how much boost you are making.

The boost controller takes another vac/boost source and can put pressure (when in boost) to the back of trhe diaphram to counteract the spring pressure.

Meaning if you have a 5lb spring in the wg and you apply 2lbs of boost to the BACK of the wg, then the spring cannot open until you make 7lbs of boost.

So, what you probably mean is that you have a 5lb boost controller. Because it will allow 5lbs of boost to go behind the diaphram and control the wg from opening until it reaches 5lbs over the 5lb spring, controlled by a regulator.

Hope that all makes sense.

Quick Reply: Stock STS turbo - max boost?