FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS Guys with no cats, what mufflers are you running??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default STS Guys with no cats, what mufflers are you running??

Ok, so I have searched and come up with a little bit of info, but I know how you some guys like to change mufflers and stuff, so I though I would ask what all your setups are. Pics would be nice and where the muffler is located (before or after the turbo).

I just put on a catless y-pipe from jegs, which is a nice piece BTW, fit perfect, now it's just too loud and raspy and has a lot of resenation around 65-70. I'd like to put the muffler before the turbo as I am in love with the whistle and don't want to lose it . I'm thinking of going with a Hooker Aerochamber, but can't decide if 1 3" would be enough flow. Which hooker would you suggest, a max flow or aerochamber? What do you guys think?
Old 03-08-2006, 12:16 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't put the muffler before the turbo -- you want as much exhaust pulse hitting the turbine as possible (which is why to ditch the cats ). You won't loose the whistle.

On my 6.0L I ran a flowmaster single chamber race muffler (series 10) and the resonance could be annoying. With the 408 it was ridiculous and after the little roadrage incident, I changed over to a 3" dynomax camaro setup (where the spare tire used to live) for daily driver days and a cutout for go-fast days.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a Spintech after the turbo and it sounds great. Its a small muffler that will fit without modifications. This is the one I bought 3in in/out.
Spintech
Old 03-08-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I used a split flow muffler. It got the sound down alittle. It's only 6 inches long and 5 inches tall. It was all I could fit behind the turbo. I thought about doing the camero set up. But just put this on, I am happy with it. Everyone loves the sound, I still think it's alittle lound still.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

I put a 14" Flo-Pro dual 2.5" in/single 2.5"out in front of the turbo. The sound is a lot quieter but not as mild as stock. It took away a lot of the low speed resonance and popping sound that I used to get under light throttle loads and it is a lot quieter in the cab. I did a G-Tech run after the install and saw a .10 improvement in my time. I still have the cats installed because I hear the 6L is really loud without the cats.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I just put on a catless y-pipe from jegs, which is a nice piece BTW, fit perfect, now it's just too loud and raspy and has a lot of resenation around 65-70.
Do you have a link for the Y pipe? Is it a direct fit for stock manifolds? Is it 2 1/2 like the stock Y or is it 3"? Wish I could help with the muffler thing, but for now Im going muffler less and doing a 3" to 4" reducer and some 4" pipe out the back.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Going to install this after my turbo some day.
4" I.D. resonator.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Do you have a link for the Y pipe? Is it a direct fit for stock manifolds? Is it 2 1/2 like the stock Y or is it 3"? Wish I could help with the muffler thing, but for now Im going muffler less and doing a 3" to 4" reducer and some 4" pipe out the back.
This is the one I got Y-pipe It was a direct replacement for my truck. Fit great to the stock manifolds and was $200 shipped. It is 2 1/2", but if you want to use the rear O2's, you will have to move the right rear back about 2-3 inches. They f-up on that one. It does come with 4 plugs for them if you don't want to run any O2's though.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a muffler after the turbo and maybe a cutout, but there's just not much room there, cuz I don't want to loose my spare as I travel a lot in this truck and I want to keep the stock look. And Damn, are these thing loud without cats. I even have a full stock tail pipe and it still drone's in the cab.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kbracing96
This is the one I got Y-pipe It was a direct replacement for my truck. Fit great to the stock manifolds and was $200 shipped. It is 2 1/2", but if you want to use the rear O2's, you will have to move the right rear back about 2-3 inches. They f-up on that one. It does come with 4 plugs for them if you don't want to run any O2's though.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a muffler after the turbo and maybe a cutout, but there's just not much room there, cuz I don't want to loose my spare as I travel a lot in this truck and I want to keep the stock look. And Damn, are these thing loud without cats. I even have a full stock tail pipe and it still drone's in the cab.
I've been driving around with no cats since ealy last fall, ya its loud!!! It gets you allot of weird looks and some scared looks too. The stealth factor is non-existant and I need to do something about the noise too.
Thanks for posting the link for the catless Y-pipe, wish I would of had that last fall!!

Last edited by TG02Z71; 04-11-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I used like an 18" Magnaflow on mine. Lost some whistle but it made things more livable for daily driivng. I just made a flange so I could easily remove the muffler for racing or when I wanted to be obnoxious.

Quick Reply: STS Guys with no cats, what mufflers are you running??