FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS Guys... Oil in IC Up Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep still have the cats on, factory exhaust, only change I had made was dual Magnaflow mufflers to replace the stockers, which are now gone because the GT-67 is now my muffler. I am up bright and early to go see TRT. I have heard lots of great things about them and I am sure we can get the issue worked out. I am still happy with the kit, don't get me wrong guys. The kit is quality, there are some things I would have done different but overall I was happy to see some things about the kit, expecially some safety equipment. Oil Buzzer, Meth kit arming system, etc. By far the best part about the kit, is that my SS is turbocharged . After playing with GNs for years I really wanted a power adder for my SS. I looked at SCs and Turbo kits for about 6 months while overseas and lurked on boards learning about them. I was pulled into the STS community for the flexability and uniqueness that comes with a remote mounted system. I like to tinker, and an SC creates alot of heatsoak and you have to change pulleys and worry about the belts... I'd rather stick with a turbocharged system. I know turbos well enough to expect certain things from them.

I've had a few issues with it since comming home, but like I said, it's probaby a simple fix or something me or my Dad overlooked. We did not drill any holes in the IC or up pipe as they suggested. That is why I came down to TRT. To speak to the guys who have the experience with them and suggest where to drill the holes and give me a thumbs up on the install. Another issue I could be having is tuning. A friend of mine has gone through an awful lot of trouble to make sure I got started out with a safe baseline tune for the truck while I catch up on EFI Live and lean the modern day GEN III PCM tuning. He has done this and been very helpful and generous, but email tuning is rough with no wideband. Plex I guess had to make the wideband kit so hopefully it'll be ready in a week or so.

I was frustrated yestarday, but I know that when the humidity is 100%, it's raining, and I am cruising at 70 MPH and my IATs are colder than the ambient air outside, condensation is going to happen. That FMIC works VERY well.

I hope that with this post if anyone with a similar problem in the future can take what they need from here and apply it to their application without the learning curve. SO hopefully down the line someone else finds this useful. Well, gotta get cleaned up, it's 8 AM and time for me to head down to TRT. Thanks for all the advice gentlemen.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best of luck bro! I hope they are able to find and fix your problem. I've driven in the rain quite a bit and haven't ever experienced the problems your having so I'm sure there will be a fix.
I'm gonna stay tuned in, keep us posted
Old 05-01-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

everything is taken care of now. I'll let Cory explain.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad the problem has been resolved. Billy is the man. I'll call you in the next few days Billy. I'm in need of a few upgrades.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the belated reply, had some driving to do. Well I came into the shop and the only thing we really had to do mechanically was run a boost reference and get rid of my methanol injection. The injector was leaking quite a bit and so alot of the water was actually methanol. Installation wise I believe Billy and Dustin agreed we did a pretty decent job. After we got rid of the methanol injector issue and ran a boost reference line up from the wastegate Dustin began to work his magic on the tune. He did an outstanding job is all I can say really. From a roll to WOT when we started to get her dialed in, I was amazed to say the least. Things began to fly off the dash and I felt very pleased. I think I said something like... "Holy @#$%!"

The only thing that upset me was the fact that I wished I had known TRT existed BEFORE I bought my STS Kit. These guys do an outstanding job and really go out of their way to make the customer happy by giving them more bang for their buck and a quality assurance.

Update on the water/oil issue. After leaving the shop I drove south on I-45 headed towards Galveston and I ran into quite a bit of rain. So I stopped and threw on the snorkel and was able to plow right through it all. When I got there I shut the truck down and the next morning I came out and just a little bit of water was pooled in the up pipe from the IC, not near as much as I was dumping out before. So I really think the methanol injector is to blame at this point. I fix it when I get extra time. Again, thanks for the help and hard work from the guys at TRT.

We did drill a small hole in the IC on the pasenger side to help blow out some condensation and it seemed to help a bit. Thanks for the help and time gents, I'm off to go clean the truck up.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Soooo....rear mount turbos DO work...HMMMM
TRT is great. I got my kit used from a member, but they treated me like I bought the kit from them yesterday and paid tourist price. Great job guys. Now enjoy
Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want some pics please! Truck looks awesome in the sig but I don't know if that's acutally your turck or more of a standard SS truck pic. How bout some turbo and truck pics to make this thread complete!!! Happy you got the water issue resolved, puddling meth can also do some damage to your engine should it decide to pool there so glad to hear it worked out ok.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Teching In

As soon as I get back to NC I'll snap some pics, the one n my sig is just the GM orginal PR photo that I added an SS badge too. Maybe I can take this thing on the beach after she gets cleaned up and snap some pics.