FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS guys...tailpipe??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS guys...tailpipe??

how do you guys run your tailpipe after the turbo, tried a 3 inch and reduced boost and only made it after 4000, without a tailpipe, it boosts good. it maybe because the shop made too many bent in the pipe, its very annoying, cants listen to something or talk on the phone.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Resident

Was it mandrel bent pipe they where using? And I am guessin the tail pipe ended at the back of the rear tire not the front of it correct? I would try goin bigger maybe 3.5" or even 4" mandrel bent pipe, just will have to have who ever does it run reducers down to 3" for the exhaust outlet off the turbo.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Pics coming soon!
Old 05-21-2008, 05:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I believe Summit is a sponser so here's a link. If not just go to their site and search for Duramax Exhaust.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

I have the sts tail pipe. Comes out and ends before the rear tire and is only about 18 inches off the back of the turbo straight out and if you have the windows up, it just sounds like a high flow muffler with a turn down. The truck is actually quiet at an idle. More so than when I had just a flowmaster. When I get on it, it isn't real loud but people can hear the whistle when you accelerate from a light at normal driving.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is super duper home made out of 3". got a muffler shop to make me a bend over the axle and i welded it to the turbo outlet and added a small peice to direct the exhaust down and toward the corner of the bumper.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats cool, how is it working for the noise level
Old 05-23-2008, 02:42 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest an electric cut-out, preferably a Doug's electic cut-out that way you can have the best of both worlds. I'm running a stock muffler with 3" exhaust and no cats and yes it severely restricts my ability to make boost but that's totally fine by me. I only see a max of maybe 6lbs with the cut-out closed and when I open-it I see 18lbs real easy. My truck is actually QUIETER than stock under WOT on high boost when cut-outs are closed and I can easily talk on the phone or talk inside the truck or give the fat chick in the back a slap across the face.
When it's open it's a different story though, loud and can't hear **** and sets off car alarms and boosts easily.
I didn't wanna find a happy medium between the two so I just got the best of both worlds. Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

your truck makes me happy in the pants spoolin...
Old 05-31-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Magnaflow Muffler infront of my turbo..
No cats and the muffler then the turbo.
Sounds good, I want to move the muffler to after the turbo to kill some of the whistle. Just havent had time.

Originally Posted by sowaidi
thats cool, how is it working for the noise level

A Cutout would be a cool idea!! If i drove my truck every day of the week i would consider it. But workin on the road helps my checkbook in the 93oct department..

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I would suggest an electric cut-out, preferably a Doug's electic cut-out that way you can have the best of both worlds. I'm running a stock muffler with 3" exhaust and no cats and yes it severely restricts my ability to make boost but that's totally fine by me. I only see a max of maybe 6lbs with the cut-out closed and when I open-it I see 18lbs real easy. My truck is actually QUIETER than stock under WOT on high boost when cut-outs are closed and I can easily talk on the phone or talk inside the truck or give the fat chick in the back a slap across the face.
When it's open it's a different story though, loud and can't hear **** and sets off car alarms and boosts easily.
I didn't wanna find a happy medium between the two so I just got the best of both worlds. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: STS guys...tailpipe??