FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS HydroLocking Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS HydroLocking Issues?

For those folks that have STS rear mount turbos on your trucks:

Do you have any issues of Hydrolocking the engine, or ingesting mass amounts of water with the turbo under the truck?

From the pics ive seen, all that's mounted to the turbo is a conical K&N Filter, and I would think that when it rains, or while driving in rain that the filter would get soaked, and ingest mass amounts of moisture, thus leading to turbine siezure, washing down your cylinder walls with a watery mist wearing your cylinders to an egg shaped disaster, or worse, water hydrolocking your engine and breaking components.

The kit looks great, but from what I've seen, it looks like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Lots of videos/photos in dry weather. What about when it rains??

C
Old 05-04-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

NOPE! Its pretty much a non-issue. I've got more then 2 years and 30+k miles on mine and I drive in ALL weather conditions, rain, snow, slush, hail, everything. Just yesterday, I was driving in a torrential down pore of a spring storm on the interstate and no problems for me . I didn't even have a sock on or the snorkel kit.

Might try a little searching as this question is asked ALL the time
Old 05-04-2007, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Did you look at the STS site? They answer that question and show a video of a toyota blowing through some pretty good size water holes......
Old 05-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for 3years and no issue at all.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

If you run a MAF setup, then yea you can get water issues. Myself and a buddy up here in the northwest have STS equiped Silverado's and have been plagued since the install with getting a little water on the Mass Air Flow sensor which results in a poorly running engine. I think I have solved my problem, but it took many different air filter locations to get it fixed.
We never ran with the K&N installed on the turbo, we both used the snorkel up in the passenger side wheel well, but this turned out to be a disaster as you drove through puddles or rainy streets. You basically have to block off the bottom to direct water splash to fix it. I had that filter stuffed so far up over the wheel well and after a good rain, I pulled it down to find it dripping wet and caked with mud.
I can only figure those guys running with the filter on the turbo free of trouble are doing it using a speed density tune. This removes the MAF sensor and pretty much eliminates the water problem. Guzzling a pinch of water here and there into the engine probably does little harm. I still like the turbo though, just need to get stuff geared for your location is all.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:41 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've run it through pretty much everykind of weather like KBracing96 and haven't had any problems with it. I had the snorkel on it for a while and had it routed to above the spare tire and didn't have any problems and now run it without the snorkel and still don't have any problems. IMO where the turbo is (on our trucks) doesn't really put it in a "splash" zone such as in or near the wheel well's. It's far enough up and over that it imo it gets ricocheting water but nothing direct. I've frequently driven on rainy day and when I got home I looked under the truck and although the wheel well's and tires and some other parts were soaked that area of the truck did have some dry spots on the frame and underside of the bed which is what makes me believe it's not "in the way" and at risk of getting a mouthful of water.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

The only time I ever had water issues was when I pressure washed the truck and sprayed the filter accidentally. The MAF got wet and it ran like **** until I took it off and dried it out. You better make sure ALL the water is out of your charge pipes before reinstalling the MAF or you will be doing it twice.