FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS and Water to Air Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS and Water to Air Intercooler

Ok, I am working on a water to air intercooler for my STS kit (fortunately I havent yet cut any stock pipes, only drilled a whole in one). But here Is what I am doing, I have put the IC in the stock air-box location (post maf), and am planning to relocate the IAT sensor the 30* elbow that goes into the TB. So here is what I am wondering. Will having the air metered before the IC then taking the temp after the IC play hell with my tune? If it will I have come up with some solutions.

As you will see in the attached image below where I have put the IAT, the maf is in the stock location. I am considering moving the Maf to point "A" about where the coupler is now. Thats really the only solution I can come up with. (PS if any of you are interested, I will offer HP gain results after I am retuned). Any suggestions, advice, help? I am really in uncharted territory for me right now. HELP!!!
Attached Thumbnails STS and Water to Air Intercooler-100_5449.jpg  

Last edited by Injected1; 06-20-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm, are we missing something here?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oopps...my bad...fixed now
Old 06-20-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

I would think you would be fine like that. Thats sort of what the radix guys do i think. They put the IAT in the intake manifold, and leave the Maf in its stock location. So i would think it would be okay. On a side note, how does that 90* silicone coupling look when the truck is idling? The one going into the intake flange. Does it collapse under vacuum? Have you looked at it when the truck is running?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:57 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i cant say for sure but i think it will mess with your tune some. i would stick the maf in where that coupling is like you said. i have always had the maf post intercooler and had consistant tuning with it there. is there some reason you dont use the iat sensor that is built into the maf?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parish8
i cant say for sure but i think it will mess with your tune some. i would stick the maf in where that coupling is like you said. i have always had the maf post intercooler and had consistant tuning with it there. is there some reason you dont use the iat sensor that is built into the maf?
Dont all the radix guys do it just like he is talking about? Maf stays at home place (pre I/C) and the IAT sensor moves to the intake (post I/C)...at least i thought so......maybe im wrong.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Linda
I would think you would be fine like that. Thats sort of what the radix guys do i think. They put the IAT in the intake manifold, and leave the Maf in its stock location. So i would think it would be okay. On a side note, how does that 90* silicone coupling look when the truck is idling? The one going into the intake flange. Does it collapse under vacuum? Have you looked at it when the truck is running?
I have looked at it, it doesnt appear to collapse. Parish, I think your right...I think two couplers and a retune is cheaper than a new motor. So I will be looking for reducers here in the next few days.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Linda
Dont all the radix guys do it just like he is talking about? Maf stays at home place (pre I/C) and the IAT sensor moves to the intake (post I/C)...at least i thought so......maybe im wrong.
I think the difference between the radix setup and the sts setup is the radix is a draw through, while the STS is a blow through. So in this case, I would be metering the air, then changing the temperature and then measuring the density.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:20 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isn't that 90 pre tb? it wont see any vacume.

yeah i think the radix are pre intercooler for the maf and post for the iat. it seems like it would effect the readings but if it works for them than it is probably ok for the sts.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Is this what you are trying to do? Sorry the pictures are not better. I ended up selling the intercooler setup a few months ago. I just relocated the MAF after the inercooler.

Quick Reply: STS and Water to Air Intercooler