FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS in Winter Cities - a solution?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS in Winter Cities - a solution?

I have been following the STS ever since it first came out with more than mild interest. Have always written it off due to a fear of snowy roads, slush etc that we have to put up with for 1/2 the year.

Keeping in mind my 2left hand mechanical ability though, would a potential solution be just to run more piping so that the air intake is back in the engine bay so that it would not be in danger of getting plugged with snow or sucking in slush?

Or is the problem also one of what crap gets onto the turbo itself? Woulda thought that it would be hot enough to melt about anything.

At any rate, just throwing this out there for consideration. If it has merit, maybe my stock 02 Yukon can be a guinea pig......

D
Old 06-17-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Livernois would be an alternative wouldn't it? Just thinking I really wouldn't want anything that low for an intake to be honist, hell that turbo exposed to all that snow would also suffer, extreme heat then cold then heat.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

I have no trouble running the STS turbo all winter and without the snorkle tubing remote mount or the filter sock. I do park in a heated garage overnight most times but there is lots of slush and salt here. Everything under my truck is covered in a layer of sand that they use on our road instead of salt including the turbo but I have had no problems. The K&N filter does let some fine dust through so I would clean and oil it regularily because the water that splashes on it must wash the oil off some I would think. I have gone out and found a little pile of snow on top of the filter and it was still there when I got back from the drive. My filter is right under the gap between the bed and the cab and it must get some water dripping on it but it never affects the vehicles performance. I think that the only time you might have a problem is if you actually get the filter below the surface of the water or you get a lot of water on the filter when you are under higher boost. I do avoid the deep puddles if I can or at least reduce the throttle so that it will not suck up a big gulp of water. A little water just goes through without a problem unless you have an IC where it can collect. Don't forget a little water will just cool the intake charge. I have never had a problem and I have driven in some real downpours.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:46 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no problems here and i took off my snorkel kit and sock also , but if your concerned just run a snorkel kit when its bad and youll have no problems. I just watched an episode of horsepower TV , they installed a procharger on a 98 camaro and to accomodate the intercoolers the air filter is located down in the pass ,fenderwell with no protection. So STS is not the only power adder with a " outside the engine compartment" air filter.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Well that certainly is encouraging news.

The setup seems so clean and easy to install that I may just have to start looking for a deal!

Thanks for those updates.

D
Old 06-17-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Never had any real issues either but I'll take some pics of my current set-up to keep water and crud out of the intake.

I live in Wisconsin.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Check out trtturbo.com he's got nice packages. I've been looking around for a STS turbo for quite a while now. I live in Montréal, Canada and we have a lot of snow too!
Old 06-17-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Never had any real issues either but I'll take some pics of my current set-up to keep water and crud out of the intake.
Thanks - that will be very helpful!

D
Old 06-17-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Simon SS
Check out trtturbo.com he's got nice packages. I've been looking around for a STS turbo for quite a while now. I live in Montréal, Canada and we have a lot of snow too!

Will do!

Thanks

D
Old 06-17-2006, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Had mine over a year. I drive in rain/snow/slush all the time in winter.

In winter, I put the sock on the filter. It prevents any water from getting past it, just lets the air in. Besides, you are not gonna want to make boost when the roads are wet.

As far as the filter being mounted under the opening between the bed and cab, I put a piece of hard plastic (a piece of house siding actually) above the filter to divert any water/snow coming down on it.

If you are still nervous, there are guys that go mudding with the sts setups. They just pipe the filter into the covered bed.

Quick Reply: STS in Winter Cities - a solution?