FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS in Winter Cities - a solution?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 3" to 4" velocity stack I made a while ago coming off the turbo into a 4" 90 degree platic elbow from a woodworking supply house, into another 90 degree elbow, then into some 4" I.D. dust collection tubing with a smooth interior.
The elbows are connected with small sections of the tubing with duct hose clamps.
This goes up over the frame rail then up into the passenger side fenderwell where I currently have the KN filter that came in the turbo kit adapted to the end of the 4" tube.
I feel no restriction compared to the filter being right on the turbo, and the wastegate sounds are gone too.
I bought a Y fitting for two 4" K+N filters but don't have the second filter yet.
Hope these pics help, I have a few more so if you want more pics, let me know.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=TG02Z71]I have a 3" to 4" velocity stack I made a while ago coming off the turbo into a 4" 90 degree platic elbow from a woodworking supply house, into another 90 degree elbow, then into some 4" I.D. dust collection tubing with a smooth interior.
The elbows are connected with small sections of the tubing with duct hose clamps.
This goes up over the frame rail then up into the passenger side fenderwell where I currently have the KN filter that came in the turbo kit adapted to the end of the 4" tube.
I feel no restriction compared to the filter being right on the turbo, and the wastegate sounds are gone too.
I bought a Y fitting for two 4" K+N filters but don't have the second filter yet.
Hope these pics help, I have a few more so if you want more pics, let me know.
These are great pics. I shall save as reference material!

Thanks

D
Old 06-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

if you go to the STS site and go over to the tacoma system they have vidoes of them mudding in water and such with the sts with no problems just check their site out they have a lot of info your looking for in there. just gotta go the extra mile and look for it.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigBadBoy
if you go to the STS site and go over to the tacoma system they have vidoes of them mudding in water and such with the sts with no problems just check their site out they have a lot of info your looking for in there. just gotta go the extra mile and look for it.

Well to be honest, I put a lot more stock in the real life experience of the forum members from New Jersey and Wisconsin (places who experience a real winter similar to up North here - well maybe not that bad but snow nonetheless) over an entire winter than a promo video on the vendor website.

But thanks for that heads up anyways.

D
Old 06-18-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Here's my velocity stack.

Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet velicoty stack TG!
A buddy from HTC is in Canada and drives year around. He sent a picture of his turbo assembly recently and it is so covered in road salt and buildup I hardly recognized it. Despite the "custom coating" it never has sucked anything damaging into the engine.
I never say never but so far the failure rate ( due to water ingestion ) vs units sold is quite small. At least small enough to overcome any fears of engine damage.
Now if I could only apply that logic to my A/F tuning abilities.... :-)
Old 06-18-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

You would really have to be in some deep water or have a very low truck to suck up any water. You also have to be on the gas hard to cause that type of suction. If your truck starts to hesitate under load it probably means your MAF wires are wet.
I have gotten water in my intake from a high pressure washer spraying into the air filter when it was on the turbo , but since re-locating it I have had zero issues with that.
I had to clean off and dry out my MAF a few times from the water, but I had no damage.