FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

stupid 5.3L turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im just curious, but i got a 5.3 avalanche and have many friend into building turbo hondas to help me, but how reliable is a low psi set up on my truck, what things will i have to worry about breaking
Old 01-14-2007, 01:24 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kbracing96
There is a mistake in that chart, The 5.3 uses the same 6.098 rods as the 5.7 and 6.0. The 4.8 is the only motor that uses the 6.275 rods
As far as I can see, that chart DOES say that the 4.8 is the only engine to use the 6.275" rods.

Unless I am missing something, OR did someone correct the chart.

peace
Hog
Old 01-14-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

yes the chart was changed
Old 01-15-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you guys like pictures. heres some pictures of some of the stuff i build.
i'm going to use stock manifold for the first build, but i'm going to make some tubular manifolds eventually. i might just end up building them first. depends on how much time and money i'm working with.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Nice!! Do you have any pictures of the torch that you use to weld in the tight spaces? I would love to build turbo manifolds/merge collectors, but lack the tips and tricks. Great work.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
Nice!! Do you have any pictures of the torch that you use to weld in the tight spaces? I would love to build turbo manifolds/merge collectors, but lack the tips and tricks. Great work.
i use a #5 lava cup. i don't usually have to weld in that tight of spaces. as long as you build the manifold in steps with tight clearences, you should be able to weld most of it in pieces.

i welded the collector seperate first. i then postitioned the collector by building #3 runner. from there, i know where the turbo would sit, so i started tacking the other runners together. once tacked (do one at a time) weld all the seams you can get too except for two seams. one closest to the head and the other closest to the the collector. i welded all of the 90's off the head first.

break tack at those two spots, weld the rest of the runner, then postion it back up to manifold. weld last two seams and go on to next runner. thats how you can get crazy runners without crazy welding.

i used to do manifolds all at once, but its a pain. weld quality reall goes in the crapper too. most of the time you have to run the tunqstun way out in order to reach the seam. if you don't have enough gas or some sort of back purge or secondary purge, you'll get a lot of sugaring.

i've been tig welding for about 2 years professionally now, so experience helps too.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by boostedsl2
so i've been building turbo kits for 4 cylinders for a couple years. i primarly build turbo kits for saturns, but its getting old. **non sponsor link removed** is my site in case any of you are bored and want a good laugh.

i just bought a 01' silverado 1500 4x2 with a 5.3L in it. i'm going to turbo it, but i'm trying to figure out what things in need for the engine and drive train.

i'm going to run a gt4088 with a garrett air/water intercooler. i'm going to use stock manifolds and build a up-pipe for the turbo. i want about 450whp, so i'm thinking 5psi or somthing like that. i'm looking at efi live with 55lb injectors.

i'm going to build the bottom end eventually and shoot for 650~700, but i want to pay off quite a bit more before i start butchering the truck.

the turbo stuff is easy for me, i'm just a little confused on what engine and tranny i have. there are a lot of threds on this stuff, however i don't want to read for 6 months to get a paragraphs worth of info.

so here are my stupid questions:

what engine do i have (engine code) and/or how do i tell?
how do i know if i have a 4l60 or a 4l80?
are my rods the same length as a ls1 counter part?
can i use ls1 pistons as a direct replacement?
do i need a new converter for around 450whp (needs to be reliable and i don't want a crazy stall)?
is there a good bolt on fuel pump or do i have to run an external?
what impedence are my injectors?

if there is a stikey on engine info and tranny stuff specific to my engine, please post.

i don't need help with the turbo components, so please keep the flames down about how small that turbo is and the benifits to a air to air or whatever.

i might start building kits for trucks, i'm just going to build mine first and see how it goes.
That is some nice work there. To help with some of your questions:
You have a 4L60e if it is a 1500 truck. 1500HD's had a 80e in it I think. You will need a vette servo and transgo shift kit to make the tranny last any amount of time with 450whp. A strong converter is going to cost some bucks. People have good luck with FLT's I know Link I forget who they are made by?
Your block can bore out to LS1 bore to use the pistons if you so choose. i'd go forged though of course.
Fuel Pump, i'd just buy a magnacharger frame mount kit. It comes with everything you need for install. PM Blownchevy or see some of our other Magnacharger sponsors.>>>>>>>>>
Nelson Performance sells the pigtail kit for car style injectors and the Siemens 60pph injectors High imped. work good. I have a set.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the truck world.