FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Superchargers, Blowers, & Gas Milage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchargers, Blowers, & Gas Milage?

How big of differance in fuel mileage did you all notice when you supercharged you trucks? Was it drastic. For the price / power you get from them it's worth it. But if it totally kills the fuel mileage of a DD then is it worth it. does it then just become a race truck? I'd like to do it if the F/M isn't waisted..Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i may be wrong here no idea, just going by what this guy posted on ls1tech but supposedly the sts turbo actually gets you like 1-2mpg
Old 03-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

turbos generally you get better mileage if oyu keep your foot out of it and even some with s/c's have claimed gains although I know of no one personally with a s/c that gained mileage.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turbos will definately NOT get your better gas milage, especially if you do a rebuild intended for a turbo motor.

Typically, the order is NA/turbo/SC
look up typical BSFC values. NA is around 0.5, turbo is around .55 and SC is around .6

(meaning it uses 0.5lbs of fuel for every hp produced)
Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

bypass valves on centrifugal superchargers keep you from loosing mileage until you put your foot down... Dunno about whipple or magnacharger style.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're still encountering some losses over NA.

Big losses come from dropping the compression ratio.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
Turbos will definately NOT get your better gas milage, especially if you do a rebuild intended for a turbo motor.

Typically, the order is NA/turbo/SC
look up typical BSFC values. NA is around 0.5, turbo is around .55 and SC is around .6

(meaning it uses 0.5lbs of fuel for every hp produced)
Sure dude. There are plenty of people on here that ahve gained mileage from putting a turbo on their vehicle. Jerry2500 gained like 2.5-3mpg.

If oyu drop CR put a turbo cam in etc etc of course oyu will lose mileage but if you only add the system and keep your foot out of it in most cases with a turbo you gain mileage from what I have seen/read. Hopefully soon I will be able to verify this myself.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Sure dude. There are plenty of people on here that ahve gained mileage from putting a turbo on their vehicle. Jerry2500 gained like 2.5-3mpg.

If oyu drop CR put a turbo cam in etc etc of course oyu will lose mileage but if you only add the system and keep your foot out of it in most cases with a turbo you gain mileage from what I have seen/read. Hopefully soon I will be able to verify this myself.

Performancetrucks.net: physics and logic need not apply.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71

I agree I have heard of several gaining mpg with a turbo and even some with a magnacharge and a centrifugal. All these cases are with fairly low boost and a good tune. A smaller more efficient turbo for your app. would be your best bet to improve mileage. It isn't something i'd count on or worry about though.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by treyZ28
Performancetrucks.net: physics and logic need not apply.
I understand what you say about drag with a blower and not increasing. i don't see how an increase in efficiency could happen by any means but with a properly sized turbo the entire efficiency of an engine increases. You have less pumping losses by being able to use more of the heat produced by the engine. We all know that an engine is basically a device that converts heat energy to mechanical energy.

Quick Reply: Superchargers, Blowers, & Gas Milage?