FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Superchargers, Blowers, & Gas Milage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Like I said bro obviously they dont mean **** to these people that are picking up mileage. Once again quit while ur ahead. You can talk it to death but the cold hard facts are that, many people INCLUDING blower people have experienced a gain in mileage. Have you ever had an s/c or turbo? I suggest you do a search on this site and see what alot have to say abotu mileage and FI when in lower boost settings.
Its safe to say i've worked on turbo cars

The cold hard facts are pretty simple: You aren't going to gain gas milage by bolting on a blower. You're doing more work.

The only remotely reasonable possibility is the turbo, saying that if it was an ideal compressor in that it created no exhuast backpressure, the pumping loss of the engine would be overcome by the turbine creating high pressure.

Regardless, even if it was made of magical fairy dust (or made less backpressure than the muffler it replaced), almost 20% gains? Anyone with any expierence around an engine will tell you that you wont have pumping losses that high at part throttle.

Looking at my 2 engine labs, our dyno the frictional and pumping losses TOGETHER weren't even 20%. Somehow this magical turbo not only eliminates pumping losses, but also eliminates all friction in the engine AND generates its own energy!
This engine was a V6 engine, but there are many other factors (like the fact that it was wound up to 2500rpm and didn't have ANY accessories like a real vehicle would) more than offset the extra two cylinders, I assure you.

Kind of like when people claim 20mpg gains with tuning, but the fuel tables are only trimmed a few percent. Even the tuners themselves tell me its damn near impossible and laugh about it. Lousy black magic.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok dude you win. All the people claiming gains are lying
Old 03-17-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Ok dude you win. All the people claiming gains are lying
I never said they were lying.
If I bolted up headers this week and a week or two later the winter-blend gas crap is gone; I gain some gas milage.

There are a ton of factors. I've gotten from 14 to 20 mpg on the highway in nearly identical situations. Wind, gas etc... Id say they are optimistic
Old 03-17-2006, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

What I'd like to add about a turbo that you haven't mentioned is the force of air at cruise. Yes, you have back pressure in the cyl due to the turbo but the forcing of air into the cyl rather than pulling an inefficent 20" of vacume while cruising overcomes the exhaust restriction IMO. You would still see vacume in most cases at cruise just not as much. As said before, a properly sized turbo should give a gain in mpg. It is basic thermodynamics, the more heat energy that can be used and not wasted the more efficient a system will be.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Between all my mods I gained about 1mpg. Provided I stay out of boost. I can get 17-18mpg highway, 13-14 mpg city. About 12mpg with any spirited throttle.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think i will ever have my foot out of the pedal long enough to find out whether i increased in MPG. To tell you the truth, it doesnt even matter to me. I think i would get laughed of this board if i asked how i could get better MPG on a big block supercharged 3/4 ton truck....

Hey James B., do you run an intercooler on that Whipple? The reason im askin is because i want to get a smaller pulley, but im not sure if i should wait to see how the summer temps effect my non-IC'ed whipple the way it is now with the 5psi pulley. I would love to go to 7 or 8psi, just not sure if i can do that without an intercooler.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:39 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

we should always respect real world results. Personally, after my mods, and averaged over 1 year, I have seen no increase or decrease in gas mileage. The few times I put the truck in cruise post Radix install, my mileage gain was 1-2mpg's.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

me average 9.5mpg.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
we should always respect real world results.
I even stood up for the RADIX boys
Old 03-17-2006, 03:23 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, here is the way I see it......

If you are looking to save money i.e. worried about fuel cosumption....then leave it the heck alone......

That being said, I get about 18-19mpg on the highway and about 15-16 on the street.....I know I gained over stock....but then I did not post the stats on BSFC

Last edited by BlownChevy; 03-17-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Superchargers, Blowers, & Gas Milage?