FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Thats right, I am a TVS lover now too! PICS INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive that sucker up here when you are done.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys!!

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Maybe there is something wrong with the layout of my intercooler, but the IATs went up about 20 degrees when I moved my air filter to where it picks up warm underhood air. I might be wrong (I'm probably wrong?), but I can't imagine that your intercooler has the backup capacity to make up for the punishment you are about to deal it.
I think you need another intercooler between the turbo and the blower.
I thought about keeping the A/A intercooler I have on it now for the turbo, but I wanted to see how this setup would cool with out it. Plus I will still have the meth. The intercooler under the blower looks quite large, so I think it will handle the 15-18 psi I want. The more charge piping I can remove the better. I have a larger heat exchanger and an over sized reservoir I can put ice in at the track if need be, and maybe even a little "extra" help from the AC . The turbo gets it's air from a CAI, so it's not pulling hot under hood air.

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Kyle that is awesome! Glad someone finally decided to do this!
Hey instead of trying to fit everything in that small space why don't you make a slight "S" bend pipe between the collector and the turbo so you can move the turbo outboard about 6" and give you a little more play room for a small pipe. Not sure if that makes sense but...
As you can see in the above pic, there isn't much room to move the turbo further away from the motor, the coolant tank is there and I really don't want to have to move it and build a new down pipe just to eliminate a foot or 2 of charge piping. The bends are smooth and sweeping, so I really don't think it will have much affect on performance.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats simply breath taking. I wish I had that kinda money to experiment with
Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96

Got a few things to do before I can install it on the truck, like build an adapter plate for the 78mm TB, since I don't really want to shell out another $350-400 for a cable 90mm TB and I don't think it would gain me anything since it is already having to suck through 3" tubing and a turbo till boost from the turbo hits it. Also have to build throttle cable brackets since the TVS1900 has no provisions for a cable TB yet.
I might have some R&D parts that are not being used laying around. I can tell you this, the BLOWER is more sensitive to the bigger TB than the turbo......Draw through vs blow through. I am not sure how this particular combination will respond to a 78mm tb, I have a feeling it will be the equivalent of 15 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag. I would SUGGEST a larger TB for the best results.

Hey look, a turbo thread that I wont get bashed in
Old 03-14-2009, 10:14 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
GFYS blower boy!!!!

Just for good measure
Old 03-14-2009, 10:32 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
GFYS blower boy!!!!

Just for good measure
When did you want to get that TVS for the GTO?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I might have some R&D parts that are not being used laying around. I can tell you this, the BLOWER is more sensitive to the bigger TB than the turbo......Draw through vs blow through. I am not sure how this particular combination will respond to a 78mm tb, I have a feeling it will be the equivalent of 15 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag. I would SUGGEST a larger TB for the best results.

Cool, let me know what you have and can do . I've pretty much spent all my play money on this so from here on out, it's a budget build with what I have or can make, .
Old 03-14-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

When did you want to get that TVS for the GTO?
Do you want is CC number? I think I still have it here some ware....
Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Just not enough room to blow strait into the TB, unless I had a custom silicone elbow made and had a BOV mount molded into it and that would be $$$.

Wow Kyle! Looks like a fun project!

Are you sure it would be necessary for a BOV inbetween the blower and turbo? I mean when you lift the rotor RPM, IMO, I think would generate more than plenty evacuation from that very small length of pipe between the turbo compressor and the blower inlet. The "charge" could then be evacuated through the blowers bypass valve. You would be in effect using the blower as your BOV. (edit) Woops my bad... forgot bypass exits in front of the rotors... DOH!

Have you checked intakehoses dot com? They have a 45 degree 3.75" to 3" hose. It would take a little effort to step the 3" side down to 2.5" for the compressor outlet but from your pics it might work

IMO, I think you should keep your Air to Air intercooler and cool as much of the turbo charge as possible before entering the blower. I just don't think the blower intercooler could efficiantly cool for both turbo and blower. Granted you said you are going to use Meth and thats fine but you will be totally relying on the Meth (and system). I cringe when people do that... but thats just me

Just another thought on the straight shot from turbo to blower... if for some god forsaken reason the turbo compressor decides to let go... you WILL be buying a new blower as well as another turbo. The air to air intercooler inbetween them would act as a flak jacket to the blower... and already does to the motor.

At any rate I think when you have it up and running it should be a helluva lot of fun! Look forward to seeing how this works out

Bill
Old 03-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, but I like **** bag analogy way better. Maybe even wet the bag a little.

I get the excitement from this over due project...but what are you looking to accomplish? Just curious. Besides your obvious need to build stuff. I'd love to see tons of comparison dynos. Cooled, uncooled, meth, no meth, blah blah. I am with the "S" tube like metioned above. Me personally, I'd forget the direct turbo to blower, just go straight to A2A then back to blower. Seems you'll defeat the bonus of the tvs's effiency with straight *** hot turbo air. Not to sure how much the meth will help in that scenario.

I like the project though...definitely over due. You and Dusty are gonna keep me entertained for the next for weeks.

Quick Reply: Thats right, I am a TVS lover now too! PICS INSIDE